You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

10 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Domestically, the ball is in the home associations court. The clubs have stated their desire that this new competition should supplement existing domestic leagues. That can easily still happen, surely? But, the significance of the Champions League and of a top 4 finish seem to have been obliterated? 

On the face of it, why do the PL care so much? They rely too much on the top four argument, because it's so seldom that an unestablished team gets into the top four, so it's hardly riveting for the average fan. Perhaps if they improved the quality of the PL itself, or made it fairer so any team could win the league, then fans will be happy.

Put a homegrown cap on teams.  Change the offside rule back to the 'daylight' rule. Go on.  Make your league fairer if fairness is what you crave so much.  Thought not. 

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah, yeah, the Football League said the same thing when the 22 First Division clubs announced they were forming the Premier League.

The FA are toothless no disagreements with you on that.  I read in I think it was David Conns book and David Dein knew his stuff and ran rings around the FA. The Americans know finance but I'm not so sure they have the relationships domestically and in Europe within football. Anyway way more questions than answers at the moment.

Guest Alex_K

Shame it’s not a World Super League. Would be grand to bring some of the South American giants into a competitive European-team competition. 

Comes back to Big Picture. The opposition to that was the same as the opposition to this: the freeloading cunts at PL HQ and the lower reaches of the league, who fucking love the status quo: a handful of clubs boost the profile of the league through European competition, and they get a fat cut of the return through all the “best league in the world” gubbins. Any threat to that will be tackled harshly.

And I feel the same as I did then: this is grubby as fuck, but don’t pretend that the current structure isn’t almost as grubby, and that those within it are opposing change because of Corinthian spirit and love of the game. They oppose it because this - and Big Picture before it - shatters their belief that they’re as big as the Big 6, just temporarily less successful (and therefore entitled to an equal share of cash), when in fact they’re actually closer to Leyton Orient in scale than us.

I’m still not convinced it’ll happen. This kind of shit gets bandied about whenever there’s cash to be negotiated. There’s just a website and some Twitter statements this time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Nelly-Torres said:

They've all left the ECA too, apparently. The English 6 and all 12 of the founding ESL clubs. 

I can only believe that if they have issued this, that have retained JP Morgan to raise the capital, etc. Then they are prepared for the backlash, but determined to forge ahead. As much as we may like to think of these as football clubs, they are highly attuned business and financial institutions. They have done their homework. Time to sit back, take the popcorn and see what now ensues...

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

What the fuck are everton fans moaning about anyway, they arent playing in any Champions League games. In fact, I cannot remember the last time they qualified, was it their ill fated 2005 / 06 season?

Everton fans tonight - disgusting cult club killing the game all on the RS this......

Tomorrow if they get an invite - I can see the benefits lad and as a big club.....

Football is a joke nowadays. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Manny said:

Comes back to Big Picture. The opposition to that was the same as the opposition to this: the freeloading cunts at PL HQ and the lower reaches of the league, who fucking love the status quo: a handful of clubs boost the profile of the league through European competition, and they get a fat cut of the return through all the “best league in the world” gubbins. Any threat to that will be tackled harshly.

And I feel the same as I did then: this is grubby as fuck, but don’t pretend that the current structure isn’t almost as grubby, and that those within it are opposing change because of Corinthian spirit and love of the game. They oppose it because this - and Big Picture before it - shatters their belief that they’re as big as the Big 6, just temporarily less successful (and therefore entitled to an equal share of cash), when in fact they’re actually closer to Leyton Orient in scale than us.

I’m still not convinced it’ll happen. This kind of shit gets bandied about whenever there’s cash to be negotiated. There’s just a website and some Twitter statements this time.

To be fair, Leyton Orient let us use Brisbane Road(?) for training when we play in London and they arent at home.

I'm sure I read that a handful of spots would be available for a form of promotion into this league? I'm not sure how it works there exactly, but that'd mean relegation too  obviously. So these 'founding' clubs would be essentially a starting point only? 

Of course, all this is based on the premise of these clubs being allowed to compete in their domestic leagues! 

I could see it being a bit like World Series Cricket:

-Elite players join breakaway competition.

-Establishment bans and disowns said players. 

-New competition is absurdly popular to the detriment of the establishment. 

-After a couple of seasons a compromise is reached between the parties. 

3 minutes ago, RedKnight said:

Imagine being a fan and defending this. Akin to scabs.

Crossing the picket line that you've determined to be a fair line? 

There's fuck-all fair about the current set-up.  It's already financially out of reach for most clubs to compete with the big established clubs, they're leveraged to fuck just to pay the extortionate wages of shite like Enda Stevens and Paul Dummett.  

Brighton in their Amex MasterCard Arena, and all with betting sites on the front of their shirts.  It's fucking ridiculous. 

What the fuck are Sheff Utd doing spending £20m on Rhian Brewster? Or Bournemouth paying £35m for Solanke and Ibe? 

It's a house of cards built on debt, most of it hidden. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, A_S said:

I'm sure I read that a handful of spots would be available for a form of promotion into this league? I'm not sure how it works there exactly, but that'd mean relegation too  obviously. So these 'founding' clubs would be essentially a starting point only? 

Of course, all this is based on the premise of these clubs being allowed to compete in their domestic leagues! 

No, 15 clubs are always in it and 5 others are rotated in and out based on performance. Liverpool would be in it permanently.

1 minute ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Crossing the picket line that you've determined to be a fair line? 

There's fuck-all fair about the current set-up.  It's already financially out of reach for most clubs to compete with the big established clubs, they're leveraged to fuck just to pay the extortionate wages of shite like Enda Stevens and Paul Dummett.  

Brighton in their Amex MasterCard Arena, and all with betting sites on the front of their shirts.  It's fucking ridiculous. 

What the fuck are Sheff Utd doing spending £20m on Rhian Brewster? Or Bournemouth paying £35m for Solanke and Ibe? 

It's a house of cards built on debt, most of it hidden. 

Whatever helps you go to these games. Sounds like whatabouttery to me but then modern football fans are great at that.

3 minutes ago, A_S said:

I read it the founders will stay in the league each season. 3 clubs would be invited to compete in each season's competition so sounds like they intend having 16 or 18 clubs in the league.

What's making me laugh is the UEFA and PL threat of bans. 

Yeah let's how how the TV sponsors react to paying the league without the big 6. I'm sure Leicester(and no disrespected to them, a well run club showing up others who claim its a closed shop and you can't compete), Everton and West Ham title race will get the same numbers. Same with the champions league. The arse will drop out of the league finances and let's see some of these clubs try and even stay afloat with the contracts they hand out. 

It's all self interest for everyone. The domestic FA, UEFA and FIFA see it as a dilution of the power they currently hold. The clubs not invited know that domestic TV money will drop as the Super League money increases.

A few years later I would expect a expansion or SL 1 +2 or possible South and Central American Super League where after the group stages the clubs come together for the finals or some World club Cup like FIFA have. 

Cant see what UEFA can try and claim for this massive legal action. 

The domestic clubs are shit scared as they all know their massive revenues come from the Premier league TV money. 

I don't like it I should add, but not surprised. Still expect a agreement with UEFA. Football shite now and I'm honestly beyond giving a fuck really

34 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Has the club lost its mind? Liverpool FC is helping to destroy the European Cup? Our special trophy? The competition on which the legend of this club was born? This is outrageous.

I got a bit upset thinking about this.

The history and pride we have with that trophy, potentially just throwing that away for something soulless, it's like cheating on your wife of 40 years with a cheap brass.

Imagine if Hendo lifting big ears was potentially the last ever time.