You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

Just now, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Agree that football has been fucked up by Sky and it likes. But I dont see how that makes is ok to fuck it up even more. Unless you dont care anymore obviously, and I both understand and respect the people that have fucked football off.

I stopped going a few years ago because of my health, I love this club as it kept people going in rough times, footy was all some had. It is totally about money now as you know. They will do what they want if it puts more dollars in the bank.

56 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Some of the responses to this are so melodramatic. This is professional sport, it's a money-making venture. Do people think the governing bodies and clubs have any kind of integrity? They let Arabic royal families of oppressive regimes and Russian gangsters buy clubs, man. Get over yourselves. This is nothing compared to that, yet people are acting like this would be the last straw or something. Just stop watching then. 

Ah, the modern fan; no history, no principles. It’s only a money making venture in your eyes. For your information: for many other fans this game is about much, much more than making money. Shankly will turn in his grave in disgust because of the sheer egoism on display and  the «fans» who are supporting it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

German clubs are 51%+ fan owned though aren't they?

Yep there are rules that could make that happen here apparently if I read this right. The likelihood of a Tory government intervening  is extremly low but Johnson is a populist so who knows. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't know what you mean by bending over. If this happens, people can protest if they want, I don't really care. I watch football for the sport and watching good matches. I'm not arsed about the pageantry and everything else. You're entitled to care about that if you want. I do love the club and its history. I don't think a European Super League does anything to make it less significant anymore than what happened when the Premier League and Champions League were created. 

I don't think moving the club to London is an equivalent example, by the way. The club is from Liverpool and then all of a sudden it wouldn't be, that wouldn't make logical sense. 

Well I definately care. And we obviously have a completely different view on this, and it seems a totally different relation to Liverpool Football Club. And I’m totally aware that I’m the one in minority. I’m probably one of the dinosaurs that may fuck it all off at some stage because of things like this. 

2 minutes ago, Heinze said:

Saw this on twitter.

£100 match tickets
Corporate laden finals
Subscription viewing 
£100m players
£300k/week wages
State-funded football Clubs

But it’s a super league that would take the game away from us...

Yep, ironic, isnt it? Ask the same fans how they feel about getting 25,000 tickets each in 90,000 capacity Wembley because the FA has to give tickets to county FAs and corporate sponsors.

Ask the same fans how they feel about getting 15,000 tickets for a Champions League final in a 67,000 capacity stadium because UEFA has to give tickets to sponsors.

Sure, if the break away Euro League comes about, Im sure sponsors will get some tickets. You'd expect the club's fans to get the lions share though.

Just now, Judge said:

Ah, the modern fan; no history, no principles. It’s only a money making venture in your eyes. For your information: for many other fans this game is about much, much more than making money. Shankly will turn in his grave in disgust because of the sheer egoism on display and  the «fans» who are supporting it.

Not in my eyes, it's a fact. You're confusing what football used to be/what you want it to be and what it's already become.

4 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I stopped going a few years ago because of my health, I love this club as it kept people going in rough times, footy was all some had. It is totally about money now as you know. They will do what they want if it puts more dollars in the bank.

I know. And that’s what pisses me off. They’re ruining the game as we knew it, and at some stage they’ll completely ruin the club as well. 

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Well I definately care. And we obviously have a completely different view on this, and it seems a totally different relation to Liverpool Football Club. And I’m totally aware that I’m the one in minority. I’m probably one of the dinosaurs that may fuck it all off at some stage because of things like this. 

My view is simply that I'm not surprised at the business people favouring what's good for business and calling this the death of football, as if it hadn't lost its innocence decades ago, is overboard. Don't think that's controversial.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

My view is simply that I'm not surprised at the business people favouring what's good for business and calling this the death of football, as if it hadn't lost its innocence decades ago, is overboard. Don't think that's controversial.

I’m not the slightest surprised that our owners are business people either. I was just very surprised by your attitude that if the supporters dont like it they can just ‘stop watching’.

I can't believe the coverage this is getting across politicians, the news outlets.  

What the fuck happened to the free market and 'greed is good' mantra that Johnson highlighted about the vaccines? 

I'm finding the double standards sickening, and how the PL insists their league is 'fair'.  How fucking dare you say that after you just watched Abu Dhabi walk in and bankroll a single team.  Where the fuck were you when Abramovich set fire to the established financial models?  Where the fuck were you when we needed FFP to work? When fans were seeing exponential rises in tickets and TV subs? 

And now, fucking the game up with the botched VAR being manned by disgruntled English refs who officiate games based on their own idea of fair play and esprit.  

It's no wonder that some top clubs want a new start, away from the bus-parking cowards.  Why am I paying a fortune to watch Sheff Utd etc slow games to walking pace, totally devoid of sporting excellence and beauty.  Fuck that, sign us up, and create a safe-haven for brilliant footy deserving of the great old names. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I can't believe the coverage this is getting across politicians, the news outlets.  

What the fuck happened to the free market and 'greed is good' mantra that Johnson highlighted about the vaccines? 

I'm finding the double standards sickening, and how the PL insists their league is 'fair'.  How fucking dare you say that after you just watched Abu Dhabi walk in and bankroll a single team.  Where the fuck were you when Abramovich set fire to the established financial models?  Where the fuck were you when we needed FFP to work? When fans were seeing exponential rises in tickets and TV subs? 

And now, fucking the game up with the botched VAR being manned by disgruntled English refs who officiate games based on their own idea of fair play and esprit.  

It's no wonder that some top clubs want a new start, away from the bus-parking cowards.  Why am I paying a fortune to watch Sheff Utd etc slow games to walking pace, totally devoid of sporting excellence and beauty.  Fuck that, sign us up, and create a safe-haven for brilliant footy deserving of the great old names. 

There's some pertinent and beautiful ironies in this thread!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Some of the responses to this are so melodramatic. This is professional sport, it's a money-making venture. Do people think the governing bodies and clubs have any kind of integrity? They let Arabic royal families of oppressive regimes and Russian gangsters buy clubs, man. Get over yourselves. This is nothing compared to that, yet people are acting like this would be the last straw or something. Just stop watching then. 

The governing bodies haven’t got a leg to stand on and it is funny to see their reaction.

Neville can fuck off with his faux moral outrage 

Hes built a career as a player and pundit off the back of his paymasters rinsing the game and the “common fan”,

Stood there with the SKY Logo’d mic front and centre! Where the fuck does he think this whole thing originated???

If JPMorgan are putting a £4-5bn pa deal together, does he think that the pixies have thought this all up??

Whatever the alleged deal, the TV broadcasters are already part of it. SKY have already put their greasy fingers in already, yet there Gary is, front and centre crying wolf tears

• Upvote 1

Whenever Americans are involved, greed follows.

The game has gone to shit since Sky/PL fucked it up and this is just the natural course of effects.  Top it off with corrupt VAR and suddenly Rugby looks interesting. It will never beat my favourite game, Hurling. So I'm not bothered by it any more. Fuck the PL, UEFA and the money hungry clubs. Fuck them all. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Spot the difference. 

I'm 99% certain Karl Heinze Rummenige was snared trying to set up something like this a couple of years back.

And here it is. If Bayern want no part its because it doesn't benefit them, if it did they would have their Audi, Adidas and gulf paws all over it.