You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Some of the responses to this are so melodramatic. This is professional sport, it's a money-making venture. Do people think the governing bodies and clubs have any kind of integrity? They let Arabic royal families of oppressive regimes and Russian gangsters buy clubs, man. Get over yourselves. This is nothing compared to that, yet people are acting like this would be the last straw or something. Just stop watching then. 

This is people's lives you're talking about, people who have supported the club through thick & thin for decades, people who live & breathe Football & Liverpool Football Club. Telling them to stop being melodramatic about the sport they love being steadily dismantled for the benefit of TV & a group of billionaires is pretty snide.

The thing is, a lot of old school Football supporters will stop watching & the game will be left to a generation of muppets.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have to say it would be hilarious in a way if the Premier League just docked us all 30 points or something for doing this. Leicester or West Ham down the stretch for the title with maybe City boycotting their final 5 games of the season or something would be pretty funny in its own way.

Take way the likes of Neville being hypocrites the idea of us playing in a European competition where we havent needed to qualify would be crap. I dont want any part of it. I know thats just a basic point against the whole thing being bad but it would not be good.

Using this season as an example, after Wednesday night and Real Madrid knocking us out what is the benefit of the last 6 games if we're already qualified? Its not great but there is something left to play for but there would not be with this.

Guest Alex_K

Have been hearing for 20, 30 years how the game “isn’t the same” and old guard will “stop watching”. Meanwhile demand for tickets goes up and up; viewership goes up and up. The likes of Platini & Blatter ran football as their own little fiefdom for generations watching European competition fall into lap of the oligarchs and national wealth vehicles, even with their kids planted at the oil clubs their noses directly in the trough in Platini’s case, and now people think the big clubs are the ones introducing financial grubbiness into the mix? Give me a break.

I don't give a fuck about the middle Englanders who have a pop at us at every turn. All their covid hypocrisy and then slagging us off for not having fans in the stadium when we became champions. I don't give a fuck about the footballing authorities who have presided over a club game where it's completely lobsided to the top 5 or 6 leagues in Europe and have resulted in far less national teams being competitive as a result. The club and national game is far less exciting than say 20 years ago. I'm not patriotic but I liked seeing Bulgaria beating France in Paris. I liked seeing Ireland qualifying for world cups. I liked seeing Romania having about 8 players that were world class and looking at teletext to see us linked with some lad that ripped it up at the world cup. I mentioned those three but plenty more that are absolutely atrocious but used to be good. I liked teams like Red Star Belgrade, Celtic and Steau Bucharest being boss and randon aways to mad places. As others have said, modern football has already fucked things up beyond repair. Uefa, Fifa and the Fa aren't heroes.

However, people need to think about the club and what it stands for. I don't belive any of the most important people in our history would support this shit. Things like this is the final nail in the coffin. It's about maximising profits and if anyone thinks that will be good in a working class city like Liverpool, they are sadly mistaken. Ticket prices will go through the roof. Pay per view will be ridiculously high.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

You’re one of the best posters on here, but that last sentence makes me wonder of you grasp what football and this club means to a lot of people. Just stop watching? Are you being serious?

12 minutes ago, Mook said:

This is people's lives you're talking about, people who have supported the club through thick & thin for decades, people who live & breathe Football & Liverpool Football Club. Telling them to stop being melodramatic about the sport they love being steadily dismantled for the benefit of TV & a group of billionaires is pretty snide.

The thing is, a lot of old school Football supporters will stop watching & the game will be left to a generation of muppets.

I have a nihilistic view. Football is a product. Like anything else, if certain people don't like the changes to it, they can stop watching. A subset of people won't mind and would keep watching. A subset of new people would start watching because they would like to see top clubs play top clubs every week or whatever it would be. It would just be evolution. It is what it is. These people in football don't care what the fans think, they're disposable and faceless. 

14 minutes ago, Mook said:

Hasn't this already happened though? The introduction of the Premier League, the expansion of the European Cup to become The Champions League, VAR and so on? Football in 2021 is a million miles away from football in the 70's/80's. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, No2 said:

The FA, UEFA and FIFA have ran the game forever. They have presided over a country winning the PL for 3 of the last 4 years, for a country qualifying for the CL final for 2 years running and for the world cup being held in an oven built on top of dead people. Fuck them and fuck all their hypocritical statements. 

Exactly. They killed it. 

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Hasn't this already happened though? The introduction of the Premier League, the expansion of the European Cup to become The Champions League, VAR and so on? Football in 2021 is a million miles away from football in the 70's/80's. 

Aye, pretty much although some of these more recent changes like VAR & a European Super League could well be the final straw for a lot of people.

Personally speaking as someone who has been a regular visitor to Anfield since 1986, I have not been to a game since VAR was introduced & can't see myself going back.

31 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I mean, it would massively devalue English footie as a whole, obviously.

There would presumably be some sort of competition still going, maybe even using the "Premier League" brand. But if you can watch Leicester v West Ham for the "Premier League title" or watch Liverpool vs. Juventus for the Super League title, you're not picking the former, are you?

And they'd have to hold a separate competition that the Big Six wouldn't be included in. It's not like they could just let us and the other 5 clubs come in for 20 games or less a season and call that the league. They'd have to have their own league, without those six clubs, and then maybe we could still be in an English cup competition of some kind with other English clubs.

Hmmm but UEFA's proposals for the revamped Champions League has games being played on Saturdays and Sundays to compete with the PL.

This is what I dont understand, UEFA's proposals are similar in some respects to what the 15 or so European clubs are proposing. The difference is this supposed breakaway league will have less games than the revamped CL and the clubs who actually participate will have the biggest input to how it is organised.

Addressing the 'it's just for more money' well doesnt that suggest that UEFA is creaming money off the top that should go to the clubs?

I might be a bit off target here as well but if the 15 or so clubs actually organise this so called breakaway European league, they will ensure more fans actually get in to see the final instead of the ludicrously small number allowed in by UEFA instead of all the fucking UEFA sponsors and hangers on.

28 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

You’re one of the best posters on here, but that last sentence makes me wonder of you grasp what football and this club means to a lot of people. Just stop watching? Are you being serious?

Football was fucked when it sold itself to Sky, a European League is inevitable with the money involved. Like it or not. I do know what the club means. 

I loved the First Division, the European Cup, the Home Nations. I loved when going for the FA Cup meant something and getting up on cup final day meant hours of prior coverage in the build up if you weren't in it and a memorable day out if you were. 

Alas, things change. Always will. We'll see if this has legs, but if so? On to the next incarnation.

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

Aye, pretty much although some of these more recent changes like VAR & a European Super League could well be the final straw for a lot of people.

Personally speaking as someone who has been a regular visitor to Anfield since 1986, I have not been to a game since VAR was introduced & can't see myself going back.

The VAR thing is fine and that's made the game less enjoyable for now, but you gotta understand that the vast majority of football fans watch football because they like the sport and just pick a team to follow. I include myself in that. These changes to football don't actually matter much to these people. People can pontificate about the loss of some sort of mystique but it doesn't really matter. I'm not saying you're wrong for disliking the changes, but that's how it is.  

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I have a nihilistic view. Football is a product. Like anything else, if certain people don't like the changes to it, they can stop watching. A subset of people won't mind and would keep watching. A subset of new people would start watching because they would like to see top clubs play top clubs every week or whatever it would be. It would just be evolution. It is what it is. These people in football don't care what the fans think, they're disposable and faceless. 

So you’re saying the real football supporters should just bend over and surrender their clubs? I’m genuinly shocked by your attitude to this. If the owners decide to move the club to London would you be ok with that too? I mean if we dont like it we should just stop watching right? 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Football was fucked when it sold itself to Sky, a European League is inevitable with the money involved. Like it or not. I do know what the club means. 

Agree that football has been fucked up by Sky and it likes. But I dont see how that makes is ok to fuck it up even more. Unless you dont care anymore obviously, and I both understand and respect the people that have fucked football off.

6 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

So you’re saying the real football supporters should just bend over and surrender their clubs? I’m genuinly shocked by your attitude to this. If the owners decide to move the club to London would you be ok with that too? I mean if we dont like it we should just stop watching right? 

I don't know what you mean by bending over. If this happens, people can protest if they want, I don't really care. I watch football for the sport and watching good matches. I'm not arsed about the pageantry and everything else. You're entitled to care about that if you want. I do love the club and its history. I don't think a European Super League does anything to make it less significant anymore than what happened when the Premier League and Champions League were created. 

I don't think moving the club to London is an equivalent example, by the way. The club is from Liverpool and then all of a sudden it wouldn't be, that wouldn't make logical sense. 

8 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

That's not going to happen though, is it? Any new stadium in London is going to cost a billion quid off the bat. The only club that did uproot actually moved out of London and was OK'd by both the FA and Football League.

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The VAR thing is fine and that's made the game less enjoyable for now, but you gotta understand that the vast majority of football fans watch football because they like the sport and just pick a team to follow. I include myself in that. These changes to football don't actually matter much to these people. People can pontificate about the loss of some sort of mystique but it doesn't really matter. I'm not saying you're wrong for disliking the changes, but that's how it is.  

Nobody is potificating about mystique.

We're talking about fundamental changes to the way the game is played, organised, watched & enjoyed. All of which are to the detriment of local supporters who support their team every other week.

• Downvote 1