You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

Have to laugh about Gary Neville and Sky using fans as a leverage to how bad this is for football when only in 2019 we had to play Leicester away on Boxing Day for an 8pm kick off or playing Man City at 17.30 on New Years Eve in 2016 

They’ve never ever given a shite about fans and never will, this Super league will probably never happen but after the way rival fans thought it was hilarious how we might miss out on a title last season thanks to a killer pandemic then fuck em, I’m  not arsed one way or the other 

• Upvote 10

4 minutes ago, KevieG said:

The super league is coming in one form or another, and we need to be there. Probably no point moaning about football not being the same any more, that ship sailed in 1993. I don't like it as much anymore but I'm still here. 

Newcastle, Everton, Villa and formerly big clubs will be fucked over in the near future as well. Couldn't care less about them

Yeah and I see the Premier League are waving the fucking rule book around again. No club can compete in a competition we, the PL, dont recognise. But you were quick to fuck off the Football League clubs when it suited. I smell the stench of stagnation from about 12 other PL clubs happy to keep hold of the power.

It has been going to go this way for years, ever since UEFA changed from the European Cup to the Champions League for more revenue, and on a more “local” level when the Premier League was formed to the detriment of just about everyone else, for more revenue.

Like it or not, we’re heading towards a “soccer” equivalent of the NFL, with franchises and draft picks and quarters rather than halves, for, again, more revenue.

There’s no coincidence that American owners are prevalent in this, plus just about every other zillionaire in the world so to think they’ll have any qualms destroying tradition or history is nothing but naive.

6 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Seems John Henry is well involved with this, rumours of him getting a chairman type role in the new league, maybe this is why we've been on the wrong end of loads of shitty decisions recently and why the club has not said a lot about it.

Henry is a twat.

7 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Yep, hence why they would be vocal in their dismissal of it, Sky would be fucked off and left with Carabou cup games.

Smart TV APP & Streaming, £20 a month for all club games and highlights of the others a few round up shows collectively generated and interviews etc, people will lap it up.

Cheaper for the consumer and they get exactely what they want.

2 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I wait with baited breath for Catcher's completely neutral, unbiased view on it.

I expect he and the other utter nut jobs over on GOT will be elated that their brand new stadium will be untainted by the likes of us if this goes ahead, and secretly delighted they might be in with winning whatever league would be left, after all, it would be the REAL league.

Sort of feel there is a little bit of revenge time here after the large clubs got fucked off at Project Big Picture, earlier this season, that was to position themselves on a better foot, but also some in game changes.

It always felt to me that after it went from 6-8 against, then they all voted to not go forward with it, it was only a matter of time that 'revenge' or a new plan was put in place. 

Big games and great European nights are big events because they don't happen twice a week. Once you start playing Real Madrid four times a year, every year, it is no longer all that big a deal. Plus, completely closed, americanized pan-European league would not generate that much interest as the CL. You need rivalries, history, emotional involvement, it is not just entertainment, biggest players in biggest teams and here you go, pay through the nose and enjoy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, PrivateParts said:

Playing Real or Bayern in the Champions League is a big deal, because you've earned the right to be there. Playing them week-in week-out would be dull as fuck.

Yeah I agree. It feels like they are absorbing all the magic out of football in order to rinse every penny possible from the game while they can.

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Probably righteous indignation. 

But, they're secretly shitting themselves at the prospect of building a new stadium and Leicester City being the biggest away side who'll ever play at it. 

I think teams who don't get onto the gravy train at the start will fade away over the following 5 years, TV deals for the premier League, la Liga etc will drop off as everyone including the self righteous sky TV will be throwing money at the super League in order to show the matches that will mean less for the premier League which will become basically the championship, the championship in turn will become the SPL when setanta went bust and the Scottish club's lost all that income. Could you imagine Everton / Leicester and the likes with their big wages and no TV money or very little money coming in.

Gary Neville might as well fuck off as well trying to play some sort of morality card. Players are getting paid quarter of a million pounds a week in this league. His club were forerunners in this. It's an immoral vulgar business and this will be the next evolution to squeeze more money out of it.