You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Super League to Rival CL - 11 Clubs Sign Up

TheDrowningMan

28 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The way I see it is, the Premier League perennial relegation fighter clubs plus those that repeatedly bounce between the PL and Championship have too much power not the so called 'big 6' or whatever.

It's clubs like Newcastle, Burnley, plus the Watfords, Norwich, Sheffield United's etc that repeated thwart changes to tv distribution rights, own club tv deals, 5 subs, being made up clubs involved in Europe have to play them little more than 48 hours later in some cases.

Changes are coming.

Bang on the money.

30 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The way I see it is, the Premier League perennial relegation fighter clubs plus those that repeatedly bounce between the PL and Championship have too much power not the so called 'big 6' or whatever.

It's clubs like Newcastle, Burnley, plus the Watfords, Norwich, Sheffield United's etc that repeated thwart changes to tv distribution rights, own club tv deals, 5 subs, being made up clubs involved in Europe have to play them little more than 48 hours later in some cases.

Changes are coming.

Yep. Even more reason for us to sign up. 

Awful idea, concocted by Americans and oligarchs who are used to closed shop sports and having their own way. The arrogance of all the clubs involved is quite astonishing and I include Liverpool in that. No wonder the rest of football fans despise the big PL clubs, they're almost the antithesis of good sports.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

I think it is a shot across the various association's bows with regards to tv money shares etc. and will fizzle out when they are met half way.

Agree, I suspect this is a negotiating tactic. A bold one perhaps, but there’ll be a position less than something as extreme as this that will eventually be found.

1 minute ago, RedKnight said:

The little note that clubs can air the games on their own TV channels too. Don't think that didn't go unnoticed. Has the Americans fingerprints all over it.

Id gladly have our games live on the club channel than fuck about paying subscriptions to sky, bt, amazon, disney channel and anyone else the 'authorities' decide should bid for them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Id gladly have our games live on the club channel than fuck about paying subscriptions to sky, bt, amazon, disney channel and anyone else the 'authorities' decide should bid for them.

I'd prefer the wealth of the TV deals be shared and as much be on free-to-air channel as possible.

Your attempt to put the 'authorities' at fault for owner's greed is unfortunate but not uncommon. Some fans of the big 6 always feel they're hard done by.

8 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Load of old pony. 

I think I read that it'd require premier league permission for English clubs to be involved. If so, it's pretty much a non-starter. 

Not really, because the Premier League would have to sign the next TV deal based on Everton and Leicester being the biggest clubs in the competition, and they’d soon fuck off to the breakaway domestic league formed by the exiled clubs. It would get more than the Championship, but not by much.

1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Not really, because the Premier League would have to sign the next TV deal based on Everton and Leicester being the biggest clubs in the competition. It would get more than the Championship, but not by much.

But, we're hardly likely to jib off the Premier League for a mini-league. It wouldn't make any sense. 

Guest Alex_K

Good. I'd like to see us competing with a set of financially balanced European clubs - the classical giants. If it puts-paid to the likes of City, PSG etc. excelling in European competition under a corrupt & bereft UEFA 'FFP' bureaucratic system that enables it, then great. The big clubs are the game; happy to see them not being prepared to be the bitch of an old and stale corrupt commercial regime. And for those who thought before or think now this idea will just vanish to the wind .. JPM aren't pulling together $6 billion funding deals for larks.

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

But, we're hardly likely to jib off the Premier League for a mini-league. It wouldn't make any sense. 

If the will to go ahead with the Euro league is there, they PL would either cave or the clubs would form a new domestic league. The Premier League itself was, after-all, a breakaway and the rest of the footballing apparatus fell in line because the alternative would have been irrelevance.