Quantcast
The days before health and safety - Page 2 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Colonel Kurtz

The days before health and safety

28 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Ha ha. Building work all completed, old lady who fell into the manhole never did sue so looks like we got away with it, 

Bit hard to sue from 9 feet underground with a head like a pack of raw mince 

My first Landrover was a 1958 Series 1 short wheel base. The original ‘bench’ type seats had been removed by the previous owner, and replaced with beautiful bucket seats. Drove it all over N.S.W. and sometimes pulled the Mrs’ horse in a float- and all with with no fitted seat belts. That’s right - no belts. Legally not required.

God I miss the old girl.....and I don’t mean my X wife.

EE78E507-5384-4E76-B74F-FD70138D272A.jpeg

8C31F5BA-81D9-4A81-9ABB-28826F19C3B2.jpeg

One event that seems to have escaped the attention of the H&S Police up to now is the Isle of Man TT races. The TT was always dangerous, but some of the modern footage from rider's GoPros is almost unwatchable. Lapping at 135mph with a bale of hay between the rider and a concrete lampost ??  *shudders*

Theres a video on the Echo website of guys working hundreds of feet up at the top of the India Buildings in the 1930's. Absolutely hair raising as they stroll round in full suits and caps along 6 inch wide beams without a care in the world. I always imagine the winds up there would be brutal , but they don't seem to be affected.

On 17/04/2021 at 10:17, Mike D said:

‘Up here, if you make one mistake, it’s definitely ‘alf a day out wi’ the undertaker’.

They really don’t make them like that anymore.

9 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

‘Up here, if you make one mistake, it’s definitely ‘alf a day out wi’ the undertaker’.

They really don’t make them like that anymore.

I wonder if Fred was in a small Venn diagram of charismatic scaffolders who had survived to their 50s. 
it reminds me of that famous story about bombers in ww2. They studied the location of accident damage of the returning bombers to work out where on the planes to put armour plating. It took a non RAF mathematician to point out they should put armour plating on the areas that appeared undamaged, they were the planes that weren’t coming back,