You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sliding mitre saw good for DIY

dockers_strike

The old girl wants me to do a few 'projects' around the gaff including a few for the garden. Im ok with a drill and hammer but Im fucked if I can get consistent, square saw cuts with a hand saw. I could get the wood shop to make the cuts as I need them but the robbing bastards charge 50p a cut and Id rather be able to adapt the projects as I go.

So Im looking for recommendations for a decent DIY sliding mitre saw for sub £200 or thereabouts. The Metabo KGS 216 M cuts to 305mm width and a depth of 65mm. Seems a decent machine for 150 knicker delivered although the depth of cut is the minimum Id want. Other makes are Evolution, Einhell and Erbauer. The Erbauer sounds one to avoid as it's Screwfix's own brand and reviews Ive read suggest spare parts are non existant.

Thoughts?

I think a lot of the main brands just add 50% for the name. If the spec is decent and the guarantee okay I don't think you will go wrong , the Metabo one looks decent.

Alternatively you could borrow my wife to talk shite to the guys in Taskers or B and Q and get the cuts done for nothing like we do.

• Upvote 2

I've fitted hundres of wood floors mainly using b&w McAllister chop saws.  They'll do for DIY stuff no problem.  It's only when you're full time fitting skirtings and cutting mitres you'd need to invest in a decent de Walt saw . 

Best advice is to switch out the blade for one with a lot more teeth 

Just to add , what are you planning on cutting around the house  that's thicker than 3 inches? 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

The old girl wants me to do a few 'projects' around the gaff including a few for the garden. Im ok with a drill and hammer but Im fucked if I can get consistent, square saw cuts with a hand saw. I could get the wood shop to make the cuts as I need them but the robbing bastards charge 50p a cut and Id rather be able to adapt the projects as I go.

So Im looking for recommendations for a decent DIY sliding mitre saw for sub £200 or thereabouts. The Metabo KGS 216 M cuts to 305mm width and a depth of 65mm. Seems a decent machine for 150 knicker delivered although the depth of cut is the minimum Id want. Other makes are Evolution, Einhell and Erbauer. The Erbauer sounds one to avoid as it's Screwfix's own brand and reviews Ive read suggest spare parts are non existant.

Thoughts?

Cant remember what it is exactly but got one of these, that came with excellent reviews, from screwfix for something in the order of £130. I’d go and look at the thing and tell you what it’s called but I’m having a shite at the moment.

4 hours ago, elvis said:

I've fitted hundres of wood floors mainly using b&w McAllister chop saws.  They'll do for DIY stuff no problem.  It's only when you're full time fitting skirtings and cutting mitres you'd need to invest in a decent de Walt saw . 

Best advice is to switch out the blade for one with a lot more teeth 

Just to add , what are you planning on cutting around the house  that's thicker than 3 inches? 

I think she's got her eye on a couple of those wooden planter type boxes and a bench seat. All of the sub 200 quid sliding mitre saws will only cut to a depth of about 65mm or two and a half inch. Im guessing you'd probably get away with flipping the wood over, lining up the cut and getting through the rest of it ok?

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I think she's got her eye on a couple of those wooden planter type boxes and a bench seat. All of the sub 200 quid sliding mitre saws will only cut to a depth of about 65mm or two and a half inch. Im guessing you'd probably get away with flipping the wood over, lining up the cut and getting through the rest of it ok?

Sure you're not getting width mixed up with thickness, most cut into about 200mm width. Apologies if not

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Remmie said:

I don't know why but I have read this and Dave's golf threads in full despite having the grasp on the subject of a staggering dribblechin 

Same here

Can't stand Golf and am completely clueless when it comes to anything DIY tool based

Weird