You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Uh, yes? Unless the recreational golfer can hit a 2 iron or fairway finder wood at least 230 yards and straight, it's definitely extremely important.

Well most recreational golfers can't hit there driver straight half the time and are not hitting a 400 yd par 4 in two that often either. If you are a 10-20 handicap it is your 3rd shot on a par 4 where the strokes can be made up.

In an average round most fellas are only hitting driver 10 or 11 times - invariably costing them more strokes than they make up with 20 yards off the tee. 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Well most recreational golfers can't hit there driver straight half the time and are not hitting a 400 yd par 4 in two that often either. If you are a 10-20 handicap it is your 3rd shot on a par 4 where the strokes can be made up.

In an average round most fellas are only hitting driver 10 or 11 times - invariably costing them more strokes than they make up with 20 yards off the tee. 

Yes and all this means you shouldn't look at LPGA players' games for pointers, somehow.

Truly arguing for arguments sake here.

35 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

A mate of my dads plays every par 5 with a 7 iron. 

He’s always there or there’s about after 3. 

On 11/09/2021 at 18:55, TheHowieLama said:

Yeah - it is a discussion about how Average Joe can improve his game. We have three entries thus far:

Watch LPGA golf.

Practice your short game and putting @ 10x more than your driver.

Leave your driver in the bag a few times a round.

Shave 4 strokes of your GHIN there easy.

Agree 100 percent on practicing the short game. I hit my driver 180 to 200 Metres but from a 100 metres in I am all over the place. Short game is where you improve your handicap.

23 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Garcia, Lowry and Poulter.

Leaving Rose out is a joke 

Rose has been poor this year. I actually thought there was a chance he wouldn’t pick Garcia because of their historic beef but obviously glad that he did.

Ideally Wiesberger wouldn’t have qualified and he could have picked Rose for his experience but I honestly don’t think he’s playing well enough either way.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

Rose has been poor this year. I actually thought there was a chance he wouldn’t pick Garcia because of their historic beef but obviously glad that he did.

Ideally Wiesberger wouldn’t have qualified and he could have picked Rose for his experience but I honestly don’t think he’s playing well enough either way.

Rose should have gone over Lowry but he had to pick his bum chum. 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Lowry is higher in the world rankings and he’s had a better season by all of the metrics that you could possibly look at (strokes gained, scoring average, money earned etc).

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Lowry is higher in the world rankings and he’s had a better season by all of the metrics that you could possibly look at (strokes gained, scoring average, money earned etc).

I'd still have taken Rose over Lowry. I like Lowry. Rose is more reliable for a Ryder Cup. 

10 minutes ago, Carradona said:

I'd love to neg this repeatedly. 

Oh right... 

5 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Agree 100 percent on practicing the short game. I hit my driver 180 to 200 Metres but from a 100 metres in I am all over the place. Short game is where you improve your handicap.

I'm not sure I agree with that,fully. If you cant get the ball near the green in regulation,eg hit it a reasonable distance,it doesnt matter how many shots you take as you are already fucked. 

There is a big thing in golf now called 'strokes gained' and hitting it 300 yards but in the rough is statistically better than 2x 150 yard shots and its outcomes. 

25 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Obviously the tone of your tweet us pretty pathetic and shows a total lack of understanding of the sport, the process, and decent human interaction. But will skip that and deal with the what you’re post is intimating. 

Now this will appear as all the Irish jumping to the Irish lads defence, but I don’t go in for that bullshit. 

It would have been incredibly weird for Lowry not to be picked. He’s been in the automatic positions for months, and then on the very last day fell one below. Any Captain, any time, anywhere, would have picked Lowry. Hes got a great game for match play, is a big fan of team sports, which is really important in a Ryder cup, and I’ll bet Harrington wants to team him with McIlroy to get big Irish American support in an event where there’ll be no foreign fans. He’s also had a much better season than Rose. 

Having said all that, I think I would have picked Rose too.  But over Poulter.  I think he could be a problem this time.  He’s been too up and down. Garcia and Lowry were shoe-ins.  I’d say the real chat between the Captain and vice-Captains was Rose v’s Poulter. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Obviously the tone of your tweet us pretty pathetic and shows a total lack of understanding of the sport, the process, and decent human interaction. But will skip that and deal with the what you’re post is intimating. 

Now this will appear as all the Irish jumping to the Irish lads defence, but I don’t go in for that bullshit. 

It would have been incredibly weird for Lowry not to be picked. He’s been in the automatic positions for months, and then on the very last day fell one below. Any Captain, any time, anywhere, would have picked Lowry. Hes got a great game for match play, is a big fan of team sports, which is really important in a Ryder cup, and I’ll bet Harrington wants to team him with McIlroy to get big Irish American support in an event where there’ll be no foreign fans. He’s also had a much better season than Rose. 

Having said all that, I think I would have picked Rose too.  But over Poulter.  I think he could be a problem this time.  He’s been too up and down. Garcia and Lowry were shoe-ins.  I’d say the real chat between the Captain and vice-Captains was Rose v’s Poulter. 

Get fucked taking that tone Johnny. I was clearly taking the piss about the buddy comment, I'd have Rose over Lowry - thats my opinion. I'm not even reading the rest of your post. 

19 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd still have taken Rose over Lowry. I like Lowry. Rose is more reliable for a Ryder Cup. 

Oh right... 

When it comes to watching golf, you've previously admitted that you only watch two events a year (Masters and the Open), and now you're concluding that Lowry is only getting in because he's Pádraig's mate...

Just now, Carradona said:

When it comes to watching golf, you've previously admitted that you only watch two events a year (Masters and the Open), and now you're concluding that Lowry is only getting in because he's Pádraig's mate...

I watch more than that especially lately. I'd have Rose over Lowry . If you wouldn't, fine. Fuck me I've hit a nerve with the Irish here