You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

19 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

By the way, if you’re watching the Tour Championship over the Solheim Cup then you babe chosen badly. The Solheim is unbelievably exciting with sensational golf. Every shot is life or death. Match play at its very best. 

It's basically the Ryder Cup only the US women are more dislikable than their male equivalents.

I mentioned earlier that I was playing Royal Dornoch GC, the number 1 ranked golf course in the world in 2020. Well it didn’t let down. I’d played it in 2010, but it’s even better now. 6,754 yards of the most difficult but fair golf you’ll ever play. Absolutely incredible course. A few photos below. 

This is the group below. We’ve been doing this every year since 1990.  We stick to courses in the UK an Ireland.  It’s mainly Scottish lads and it’s called the “Tartan Trousers Tour” and so we wear tartan trousers when we play. It seemed like a good idea when we were all 19 & 20. But we’ve stuck to it and still wear those bad troo’s.  It's normal wear at night, thank christ.

That selfie with my big head is on the 7th hole which measures 485 yard and is a Par 4.  It's always into the wind too.  I was not smiling after that photo...

The 2nd photo down looking over the rough with the fairway and green all protected by bunkers is the Index 18 and therefore the easiest hole on the course???  The tee box is about 100 yards behind me too.

And the final photo is the Par 3 second, 184 yard into the wind uphill to a raised green with a hellish shot should you miss the green anywhere.  Tom Watson once said it was the toughest par 4 he every played.  He was yet to get to the 7th....

IMG-5108.JPG

IMG-5102.JPG

IMG-5103.JPG

IMG-5104.JPG

IMG-5100.JPG

IMG-5101.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I mentioned earlier that I was playing Royal Dornoch GC, the number 1 ranked golf course in the world in 2020. Well it didn’t let down. I’d played it in 2010, but it’s even better now. 6,754 yards of the most difficult but fair golf you’ll ever play. Absolutely incredible course. A few photos below. 

This is the group below. We’ve been doing this every year since 1990.  We stick to courses in the UK an Ireland.  It’s mainly Scottish lads and it’s called the “Tartan Trousers Tour” and so we wear tartan trousers when we play. It seemed like a good idea when we were all 19 & 20. But we’ve stuck to it and still wear those bad troo’s.  It's normal wear at night, thank christ.

That selfie with my big head is on the 7th hole which measures 485 yard and is a Par 4.  It's always into the wind too.  I was not smiling after that photo...

The 2nd photo down looking over the rough with the fairway and green all protected by bunkers is the Index 18 and therefore the easiest hole on the course???  The tee box is about 100 yards behind me too.

And the final photo is the Par 3 second, 184 yard into the wind uphill to a raised green with a hellish shot should you miss the green anywhere.  Tom Watson once said it was the toughest par 4 he every played.  He was yet to get to the 7th....

IMG-5108.JPG

IMG-5102.JPG

IMG-5103.JPG

IMG-5104.JPG

IMG-5100.JPG

IMG-5101.JPG

Looks a crackin course. I think If you cant stay on the fairway it must be murder, or am I wrong? I think it would fuck me up royally.

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

The Solheim Cup was absolutely brilliant. I love watching the women play, it’s a lot more relatable to the game we all play and there is much less emphasis on just bombing and gouging.

Leona Maguire is my new favourite golfer. Absolute player she is.

Totally agree regarding male recreational golfers having more in common with the women's game than the men's. If male rec players took more notice of how the women play,their distances and the clubs they use then they'd get more out of the game. A male handicap golfer trying to relate themselves to lads who live and breathe the game every day of the year is ridiculous,and is an obstacle to your own game.

2 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Looks a crackin course. I think If you cant stay on the fairway it must be murder, or am I wrong? I think it would fuck me up royally.

The rough was tough but fair, which is one of the things that makes it so good.  If you're in it, it rules out going for the green every time and usually means a wedge back out on the fairway.  But more often then than not you'll find your ball.  Of course, there was gorse in places too which was game over, but mainly you could hit a wayward drive and still have a hole to play.  And given how big it is and how hard the greens are, that's a good thing.

The relatability aspect of the women's game is totally true. LPGA and other professional female golfers pretty much swing it the same speed to the average decent male golfer and on average the length is also pretty similar. The difference is they're far better technically in every part of their game than the average male golfer. So if there's something to watch for the average player to improve, it's definitely professional women's golf rather than men's golf.

You simply watch men's golf to see otherworldly talent that is in a different stratosphere and for the drama as well.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Totally agree regarding male recreational golfers having more in common with the women's game than the men's. If male rec players took more notice of how the women play,their distances and the clubs they use then they'd get more out of the game. A male handicap golfer trying to relate themselves to lads who live and breathe the game every day of the year is ridiculous,and is an obstacle to your own game.

Not sure about that I think some low handicape males would hit it further. I think the differentiator would be the short game. I play with a bloke who is a 5 handicap. He hits his driver around 270 metres, is pretty decent with a wedge but his putting is up and down. I think also you need to factor in ability under pressure.

15 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Not sure about that I think some low handicape males would hit it further. I think the differentiator would be the short game. I play with a bloke who is a 5 handicap. He hits his driver around 270 metres, is pretty decent with a wedge but his putting is up and down. I think also you need to factor in ability under pressure.

There are exceptions but after hitting it 280-290 yards on average why isnt he a scratch handicap or even a pro? My lad can hit it similar distances but can only play a few times a year so its no point believing you can be John Rahm or Bryson DeChambeau as there is so much more involved,and levels which 99.9% of us will never reach. Better to learn from the girls due to that.

4 hours ago, dave u said:

Interesting that Johnny hasn't posted his score!

Course looks incredible, but also somewhere that breaking 100 is an achievement.

Here's this week's golf round up

https://bangaveragegolf.co.uk/2021/09/07/snoozefest-at-the-tour-championship-fireworks-at-the-solheim/

Haha. I shot an 88 mate. That included an 8 on that hellish par 4 having lost two balls on it, one in the gorse on the right from my the drive, and then the 3 wood provisional into the gorse on the left side. And I was delighted with an 88.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Haha. I shot an 88 mate. That included an 8 on that hellish par 4 having lost two balls on it, one in the gorse on the right from my the drive, and then the 3 wood provisional into the gorse on the left side. And I was delighted with an 88.

88 on a course like that is really good mate, nice one.

• Upvote 1