You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

2 hours ago, dave u said:

I shot 76 last week, but it should have been better.

https://bangaveragegolf.co.uk/2021/08/16/a-bang-average-golfers-diary-entry-3/

You asked the question “how do I fix this”. I’ve no idea if this is any good for you, but it worked for me. 

In the video of you putting, you stand a little bit back from the ball, which I also used to do.  What I found was it allowed for far too much movement in my upper body. My arms could pull back into my body and I’d either push or pull the putt or I’d pivot on my shoulders from a non-solid base and pull the putt.

I now grip much further down on the shaft to the extent that half my lower hand is on the metal of the shaft (i.e. below the grip). My elbows are firmly pressed into my stomach and my head stays absolutely stationary to the extent that over a 4 or 5 foot putt the sound of the ball hitting the hole happens before I’ve moved my head. Only my shoulders move from a rigid fulcrum. My success from 3 - 6 feet has massively improved to the extent I’m surprised to miss one. And the lower view and stance (I’m leaning slightly to the right meaning I’ve a look at the line when positioned to putt) means my 30-35 foot putts are now nearly always finishing as tap-ins and not nervy 5 footers.  

That worked for me as putting was my biggest weakness, whereas now I’ve real confidence it in. Might be worth a try?

• Upvote 1

I've tried standing closer and I stank that way too. What Johnny says makes sense though and I do think I need to get my head directly over the ball.

I've also tried tucking my elbows in and trying to just putt by rocking my shoulders, but I just can't get it right when I do that. Sometimes it's great, but there's no consistency there at all.

I've just set up my putting mat in the house specifically to practice four footers. Made 20 in a row, went outside onto the putting green and made 6/6 there too.

The only thing I've done differently is loosened my grip on the putter as my knuckles were turning white due to how tightly I was gripping it. I think that was causing too much tension in my stroke, because every one of these hit the middle of the hole, I wasn't even close to missing.

Not gonna say I've fixed it as I'm not that stupid, but I think this may help me get better.

57 minutes ago, dave u said:

I've tried standing closer and I stank that way too. What Johnny says makes sense though and I do think I need to get my head directly over the ball.

I've also tried tucking my elbows in and trying to just putt by rocking my shoulders, but I just can't get it right when I do that. Sometimes it's great, but there's no consistency there at all.

I've just set up my putting mat in the house specifically to practice four footers. Made 20 in a row, went outside onto the putting green and made 6/6 there too.

The only thing I've done differently is loosened my grip on the putter as my knuckles were turning white due to how tightly I was gripping it. I think that was causing too much tension in my stroke, because every one of these hit the middle of the hole, I wasn't even close to missing.

Not gonna say I've fixed it as I'm not that stupid, but I think this may help me get better.

Ever tried switching grip to left hand below right? Helped my putting a hell of a lot. Just took a bit of practice to get used to it.

7 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Ever tried switching grip to left hand below right? Helped my putting a hell of a lot. Just took a bit of practice to get used to it.

Tried it and hated it. Feels really uncomfortable and the results weren't good. Same with that claw thing too, I don't like that one bit.

I played Sunday and shot 85, which is around what I usually play. I have a mediocre short game through lack of practice but my real problem is the occasional horrendous miss where I cold top it or fat it 20 yards in front of me which always leads to a double or triple as I then become frustrated. I still make truly horrible swings that someone who just started playing would a couple times a round and I don't know how to stop it.

8 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I played Sunday and shot 85, which is around what I usually play. I have a mediocre short game through lack of practice but my real problem is the occasional horrendous miss where I cold top it or fat it 20 yards in front of me which always leads to a double or triple as I then become frustrated. I still make truly horrible swings that someone who just started playing would a couple times a round and I don't know how to stop it.

Lessons?

12 hours ago, dave u said:

Tried it and hated it. Feels really uncomfortable and the results weren't good. Same with that claw thing too, I don't like that one bit.

Yeah it took me about 2 weeks of working with it to get comfy but it stopped me pulling the put. I just miss on the orher side now!!

3 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Never mind all this crap. Get the round up posted so we know who we’re betting on this week. 

Working on it. Not sure on my picks yet but I can't really see past Rahm and Spieth, who will probably be favourite and second favourite. Hardly hot tips, I know.

Gonna have a look at prices for outsiders in a bit.

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

Can't wait until you come over here for a game so I can.... well, probably lose but hopefully competitively. 

You would absolutely fucking annihilate me.  My game is in the drain.  I've played three times this year, no rounds at all last year, and twice the year before.  My upcoming golf trip in two weeks (my first time back on it since 2018) in Dornoch will be a shambles.  Dornoch is ranked 10th in the world (or 4th going by some golf publications) and I'm just not ready for it.  But it'll be good craic.

But the kids are now getting a little bit older now (4 & 3 almost) so I'm hopefully joining a course next to me (either Forrest Little or St Margarets) after Christmas and then get back properly firing.  

To give you an idea how random my game is, on the last 18 holes I played I shot 54 on the front 9 (that included an 11 on one hole where I put 4 balls OB), and a 38 on the back nine. 16 shots better on the back nine? I've literally no idea how I'll play and it dramatically changes within the 18 holes.