You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Done, and clicked through some of the ads for good measure. Enjoyed the article on the Max D - sounds like the kind of club I need.

2 hours ago, dave u said:

Ill have a look at those mate, when I picked up the driver after it’s repair it looks fucking shit. I can’t cope with that so will be looking to buy a new one. 

Any plans on doing reviews of different grips? 

2 hours ago, dave u said:

Done.

Anything on there for selecting a putter? I've clubs that cost as much as a small car and a putter that cost me about a fiver 20 years ago. O reckon a new putter will shave 6 shots off a round.

2 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Done, and clicked through some of the ads for good measure. Enjoyed the article on the Max D - sounds like the kind of club I need.

Nice one mate. I'm using the Max D at the moment. I love my Cobra driver but if this is giving me even a few yards more leeway and keeping the ball in play it makes sense to use it.

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

Ill have a look at those mate, when I picked up the driver after it’s repair it looks fucking shit. I can’t cope with that so will be looking to buy a new one. 

Any plans on doing reviews of different grips? 

Depends on what they want reviewing. I don't get to choose. Hope they don't ask me to do grips though, it was hard enough trying to find enough words on gloves!

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Done.

Anything on there for selecting a putter? I've clubs that cost as much as a small car and a putter that cost me about a fiver 20 years ago. O reckon a new putter will shave 6 shots off a round.

https://www.t3.com/features/best-putter

This is a really subjective thing though. You might find your better with your five pound putter than you are with a new one. Most golf shops have a space where you try them out though so even if you aren't buying, its worth just having a little go of a few to see what you like. 

The first thing to decide is blade or mallet style. Mallets are a lot more forgiving when you don't catch it in the sweet spot. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Average golfer's diary

Spoiler for next week's diary, I shot 76 last night. Told you I could smell it.

Jesus.  That's sensational.  What course is it?  I need to assess the difficulty so I can be a snide a talk down your achievement. 

EDIT - I should have read the piece first.  Checking Beacon Park now. 

Also, I love this:

"I missed birdie putts from 3, 6 and 8 feet it’s hard not to think about what might have been.

Then again, I did hole one from about 50 foot on the fourth"

We all do it where we moan about what might of been while completely ignoring the thinned 6 iron that went to 4 feet or the Terry Woganesque putt we holed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

Congrats Dave , can you smell your tips stopping from costing me money  ?

I know mate, I can only apologise. I got carried away with that early winning streak I had where it felt like I couldn't go wrong. Now I can't get anything right.

For what it's worth I've got Cam Smith to win this week at 40/1. Also did Daniel Berger to win 22/1 and threw a fiver on DJ as well (16-1 I think). 

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Jesus.  That's sensational.  What course is it?  I need to assess the difficulty so I can be a snide a talk down your achievement. 

EDIT - I should have read the piece first.  Checking Beacon Park now. 

Also, I love this:

"I missed birdie putts from 3, 6 and 8 feet it’s hard not to think about what might have been.

Then again, I did hole one from about 50 foot on the fourth"

We all do it where we moan about what might of been while completely ignoring the thinned 6 iron that went to 4 feet or the Terry Woganesque putt we holed.

It's quite a hard course, until recently I could never post any kind of score on it because the rough was too long and the fairways are sloping so when they dry out it's like a US Open course!

It's playing a little easier at the moment as they've cut the rough back a bit, but the greens are just so fucking slow I can't help but leave everything short.

Usually in a round you have shots where you think "I got away with that" or "I had no right to hole that one" but last night I had none of those. I had half a dozen putts that on another day would have gone in though, and I had four that should never have been missed under any circumstances, so really that score was higher than it should have been, which is mental.

On 05/08/2021 at 13:29, dave u said:

I know mate, I can only apologise. I got carried away with that early winning streak I had where it felt like I couldn't go wrong. Now I can't get anything right.

For what it's worth I've got Cam Smith to win this week at 40/1. Also did Daniel Berger to win 22/1 and threw a fiver on DJ as well (16-1 I think). 

All three in contention, my boy Cam is T2, Berger is T11 and DJ is T13. Need one of them to win to end my drought so that Harris English needs to fuck right off.

He's still my boy. I was just mad last night.

I can't hold that against him when it's exactly what I'd have done. Both in terms of the shot selection and the outcome.

Between that and the latest Bryson craziness this week's golf round up writes itself.

• Upvote 1