You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

There's nothing like gambling to make me either like or hate a player.

Rickie Fowler was my boy on Thursday as he was leading and I have him at 45/1. On Friday he was shite but that was ok as he was still only a couple of shots back. No problem, we can still do this Rickie lad.

Today he got to -6 for his round at one point and had the lead again, and then he went +5 on his last six holes including an 8 on the last. He's well out of it now the absolute prick.

On 22/07/2021 at 22:30, dave u said:

Agree with everything Johnny has said there.

Particularly the "never take an iron for safety". Occasionally I'll hit a hybrid off the tee but generally that's only when the risk of driver is too high or it's a short fairway that I'd run through with driver or 3 wood.

Any time I try and play safe I fuck it up and then I end up berating myself for being a shithouse. Not hitting driver and trying to play safe is basically throwing Lovren on for the last ten minutes and going five at the back. Asking for trouble.

Driver every time unless it's not an option.

Regarding the slice, there could be a number of things causing it. Could be your grip, could be an over the top move on the downswing or it might just be your clubface is open when you hit the ball.

I've been fighting that for basically 30 years and I've only sorted it in the last month or so. And it still comes back every now and then and gets me into all kinds of shit. At least I know what causes it now though.

Spent an hour on the range on Thursday night hitting the hybrid off the tee. With the dry weather I figured I'd take 30 yards less for a guaranteed straight drives and let the hard fairway drag out some yards. First tee Friday morning, sliced the fuck out of it and spent the next hour berated myself for being a little bitch. Lesson learned.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Spent an hour on the range on Thursday night hitting the hybrid off the tee. With the dry weather I figured I'd take 30 yards less for a guaranteed straight drives and let the hard fairway drag out some yards. First tee Friday morning, sliced the fuck out of it and spent the next hour berated myself for being a little bitch. Lesson learned.

It's always the way.

Regarding the mini driver, Rick Shiels did a review of it which basically consisted of him making bad swings, hitting poor shots and then blaming the club.

He called it a pointless club, which I kind of agree with. If you can't hit driver but like a 3 wood, then just hit the 3 wood. Not sure there's a gap in the market for this as I'm not sure what it's meant to be.

How has Rahm tested positive again when he had it a few weeks ago? This has to be a false positive, surely? Otherwise this is pretty big news as I haven't heard of anyone getting it twice, let alone in the space of about 6 weeks.

2 minutes ago, dave u said:

How has Rahm tested positive again when he had it a few weeks ago? This has to be a false positive, surely? Otherwise this is pretty big news as I haven't heard of anyone getting it twice, let alone in the space of about 6 weeks.

I’m not sure if he has or not. The Athletic article saying that Bryson was out was headlined something like ‘DeChambeau, Rahm, missing Olympics due to Covid’ but the article itself was mainly just talking about Bryson testing positive. Then there was a couple of sentences at the bottom about Rahm having it a few weeks ago. 

Maybe the Japanese have got a rule about how long ago you’re allowed to have had it and ‘recovered’ and his was too recent? I haven’t paid much attention to these Olympics so far. 

5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Bryson out of the Olympics. Got the Covid. In comes Fatrick Reed. 

Anyone know the Japanese for "nah fuck off you bad weapon go on do one wannabe peaky blinders nra shagger fuck off gimp" ? 

2 hours ago, dave u said:

Pretty sure they said he tested positive again. Whether those initial reports were wrong or not and it's like you said, I don't know. Whole thing seems mad to me though as he obviously hasn't got it again.

Yeah, weird. I was gonna say maybe it was a false positive first time around but I remember reading at the time that they’d retested his initial sample before taking that tournament (and the prize money!) off him. 

15 hours ago, dave u said:

It's always the way.

Regarding the mini driver, Rick Shiels did a review of it which basically consisted of him making bad swings, hitting poor shots and then blaming the club.

He called it a pointless club, which I kind of agree with. If you can't hit driver but like a 3 wood, then just hit the 3 wood. Not sure there's a gap in the market for this as I'm not sure what it's meant to be.

Yeah I saw Rick Shiels blaming the club for his bad swing. James Robinso gave it a very positive review. From what i have picked up the thinking is shorter shaft , smaller head than a driver will make it more accurate off the tee. Not sure if it would be better off the deck than a 3 wood.

9 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Yeah I saw Rick Shiels blaming the club for his bad swing. James Robinso gave it a very positive review. From what i have picked up the thinking is shorter shaft , smaller head than a driver will make it more accurate off the tee. Not sure if it would be better off the deck than a 3 wood.

I can't watch James Robinson, he annoys the fuck out of me. So does Shiels now to be fair. I loved watching his videos but then I listened to his podcast. Shouldn't have, because now I think he's a bit of a tit whose success has completely gone to his head. It's put me off his videos now, even though I've always enjoyed them.

I like Peter Finch and the little American fella, Mr Short Game.

20 minutes ago, dave u said:

How is that even possible?

Just been reading now. Anyone that’s been in the UK recently has to pass three PCR tests. Rahm’s first two came back negative but the third one was positive so that’s the end of it. 

It has to be a false positive or he’s in fact not actually got rid of it yet and won the US Open whilst ‘infected.’ Strange one for sure. 

• Upvote 1

The Rahm thing is mad. Both times he tested positive, he returned several positive tests, not just one.

He’s vaccinated too. It makes no sense.

Bryson isn’t vaccinated, surprise surprise.

I mean, he’s happy to plough himself full of steroids but can’t be taking the vaccine.

Add this to my list.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dave u said:

I can't watch James Robinson, he annoys the fuck out of me. So does Shiels now to be fair. I loved watching his videos but then I listened to his podcast. Shouldn't have, because now I think he's a bit of a tit whose success has completely gone to his head. It's put me off his videos now, even though I've always enjoyed them.

I like Peter Finch and the little American fella, Mr Short Game.

I used to watch both of them myself but just got a bit bored. Mr Short Game isn't even a PGA instructor though.