You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

41 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Cheers Dave for the thorough answer. 

i can’t do the watch thing as I can’t play with anything on my hands. I take my wedding ring, watch, Fitbit off.  So I couldn’t out in a watch gps. 

I’m not paying 500 quid either as I just don’t play enough to justify it. But have you heard of these fellas? Are they any good do you know?

B680878A-2E67-48DA-8830-665594C67630.jpeg

I don’t need exact distances at the moment. Front, middle and back is fine. So the laser rangefinder isn’t required either. 

They are largely pretty good.

Couldn’t help myself and I went out and bought it. It’s superb. The device itself just gives you the main info you need (front middle and back with moveable pin, etc) but the app is excellent. Really good 2d and 3D course view, stores all scores (shots and stableford) and all the usual jazz. But very impressed for a reasonable price. 

41CC47CB-3EDD-44AB-94E5-1D27BDC38EFA.jpeg

0084EFC2-F682-48B9-B62B-F6D8737A137B.png

0DC0F44A-50D7-41DB-9FA0-25FCC0E89703.png

94DFE820-8127-4629-B5C3-2F1D4E41EFAF.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Those Bushnell’s are supposed to be really good. I think they have a magnet which you can whack on a cart if you’re out in one as well, which is handy.

I switched to a laser this year and it’s been nice to have the option of zapping anything you want to help make better decisions with your shots.

6 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Couldn’t help myself and I went out and bought it. It’s superb. The device itself just gives you the main info you need (front middle and back with moveable pin, etc) but the app is excellent. Really good 2d and 3D course view, stores all scores (shots and stableford) and all the usual jazz. But very impressed for a reasonable price. 

Nice trainers but why have you got Turdseyes underpants on? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

How much was 'reasonable' Mr H?

16 hours ago, sir roger said:

The gadget looks good , but those look suspiciously like shants in the first picture.

"Shants are below the knee. These are above the knee. If you say shants one more time I'm going to punch you in the face"

A direct quote from one former forumite to another at TLW footy.

Anyone guess?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, sir roger said:

Seeing he missed the cut he might have been better letting the guy finish his round for him.

Probably didn't have anything to do with his poor play, but that would freak you out a bit I imagine. You just wouldn't be expecting your space to be invaded like that.

The guy clearly had some kind of mental health thing going on as it was really unsettling watching him.

I'm reviewing the Shot Scope Pro L1 range finder at the moment and played 18 holes with it last night. At some point on the back nine it started giving me distances in metres rather than yards so I didn't have a fucking clue what club to hit. Being the excellent problem solver I am, I googled for the solution.

By that I don't mean I googled for the actual fix, no, because that would have been the smart thing to do. But that never even registered with me because I'm a dickhead.

Instead, I googled a metres to yards converter, so every time I zapped the flag I then had to enter it on my phone to get the distance in yards. It was only when I got back to the car I realised what a fucking moron I am.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dave u said:

I'm reviewing the Shot Scope Pro L1 range finder at the moment and played 18 holes with it last night. At some point on the back nine it started giving me distances in metres rather than yards so I didn't have a fucking clue what club to hit. Being the excellent problem solver I am, I googled for the solution.

By that I don't mean I googled for the actual fix, no, because that would have been the smart thing to do. But that never even registered with me because I'm a dickhead.

Instead, I googled a metres to yards converter, so every time I zapped the flag I then had to enter it on my phone to get the distance in yards. It was only when I got back to the car I realised what a fucking moron I am.

I think playing in yards would throw me a curved ball. All distances in metres in SA. If I am roughly right you take about 10% off yardage to get the distance in metres.

3 hours ago, dave u said:

"Shants are below the knee. These are above the knee. If you say shants one more time I'm going to punch you in the face"

A direct quote from one former forumite to another at TLW footy.

Anyone guess?

No idea. But he’s right. 

3 hours ago, CapeRed said:

I think playing in yards would throw me a curved ball. All distances in metres in SA. If I am roughly right you take about 10% off yardage to get the distance in metres.

I assumed when it comes to golf yards was just fairly standard across the board. When you're watching on TV do the commentators refer to distances in yards or metres?

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

No idea. But he’s right. 

It was Unrighteous, responding to repeated taunting by Woo.

The post script to that story was I added a tag to the TLW Footy thread that night saying "Woo in last shants saloon" which might be my finest hour on this forum.

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, dave u said:

I assumed when it comes to golf yards was just fairly standard across the board. When you're watching on TV do the commentators refer to distances in yards or metres?

I usually watch on Sky so its always yards. On TV coverage here of our local tour its metres.

19 hours ago, dave u said:

It was Unrighteous, responding to repeated taunting by Woo.

The post script to that story was I added a tag to the TLW Footy thread that night saying "Woo in last shants saloon" which might be my finest hour on this forum.

The funniest part was they weren't even shants, they were clearly above the knee like he said, but we all said they were shants because it was clearly winding him up. And because his name was 'Lance' and that rhymed with shants, when he had the ball and someone wanted a pass they'd shout "shants". Until Woo took it too far and got threatened with a beating.

Tested out the Stewart Golf Q Follow remote control trolley today and now I desperately want one. That thing is amazing. Just hit the 'follow' button, put the remote in your back pocket and it follows you wherever you go. 

Only problem is its £1,649.00 which is defo out of my budget. Its cool as fuck though.

Also, Toptracer ranges are doing the 9 hole challenge again, this time for the Open at Royal St Georges. Had a little go today and I'm in the top 70 in the UK, number 1 at Aintree and 300 and something in the world.

The more people play this week the more I'll slide down those rankings so gonna have to go back before Sunday and have another go.

• Upvote 1

Also forgot to mention I had an eagle putt yesterday. Rare as rocking shit for me those as I can hardly ever reach par 5s in two. The first at Aintree I can get there with a good drive and flushed 3 wood, but the wind was behind yesterday and I got there with a 3 hybrid that ended up 12 feet past the flag.

As I'm about to hit the putt I thought "I've only ever had one eagle, imagine if I make this".

Left it four foot short. Absolute fucking shithouse. It's been playing on my mind ever since.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, dave u said:

Also forgot to mention I had an eagle putt yesterday. Rare as rocking shit for me those as I can hardly ever reach par 5s in two. The first at Aintree I can get there with a good drive and flushed 3 wood, but the wind was behind yesterday and I got there with a 3 hybrid that ended up 12 feet past the flag.

As I'm about to hit the putt I thought "I've only ever had one eagle, imagine if I make this".

Left it four foot short. Absolute fucking shithouse. It's been playing on my mind ever since.

I’d rather be 10ft past than 4ft short. 

That might explain a lot of my scoring though. 

• Upvote 1

I was having a great dream the other night, the usual 4 of us who play together were playing a local course just outside of Bristol.

The 12th is a par 3 and plays downhill all the way, about a 60/70ft drop from tee to green. 

I slapped a fucking horrendous tee shot, but it pitched just short of the green and rolled straight in the hole. 

I shouted out “get the fuck in you beauty”, my ol fella and Laurence were laughing and congratulating me but my brother was calling me a lucky cunt and was saying it didn’t count as a hole in one as it was such a shit shot. 

I was already thinking about posting on here that I’d got a hole in one when the missus started shaking me, saying, “it’s 4 o’clock in the morning, shut up you twat”. 

I was convinced it was real, even more so by my brothers reaction. 

Cunt. 

• Upvote 2