You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

We already had a golf thread before this fella decided we needed another one to post his bets in and plug a new venture that will ultimately be the end of this website as we know it. 

I think it’s time TLW had fan ownership, similar to the Bundesliga method. 

It should be called Dave's Vanity Thread. 

19 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

We already had a golf thread before this fella decided we needed another one to post his bets in and plug a new venture that will ultimately be the end of this website as we know it. 

I think it’s time TLW had fan ownership, similar to the Bundesliga method. 

Also worth pointing out that if you'd been acting on my tips you'd have been making money like me and Sir Roger. I'm providing a free service here and this is the thanks I get?

I could start a members only 'betting tips' forum but I'm trying to help you out here. Ungrateful fucks.

• Upvote 2

On 16/04/2021 at 13:51, dave u said:

Well, funny you should ask!

https://www.t3.com/features/what-type-of-golf-ball-should-you-be-using

https://www.t3.com/features/taylormade-golf-ball-guide

https://www.t3.com/features/wilson-staff-golf-balls

https://www.t3.com/us/features/callaway-golf-balls

I've always been the same as you really. The ball I used was whichever one I pulled out of the bag or my pocket, and usually that would be one I found in the trees. I had to do a lot of research on it recently though to do those reviews, and it does make a difference which ball you use.

The first link explains it in more detail, but basically it comes down to a few things. There are different types of balls aimed at the various levels of golfers. The balls the pros use are the best money can buy but that doesn't mean they'll be the best for you and me.

We don't hit irons as crisply as the pros so having a high spin ball isn't as essential for most of us. And how fast is your swing? If it's not superfast like a pro then you aren't going to get as much benefit from the top end balls like ProV1 or TP5 etc

A lower compression ball will give you more distance and it spins less so it won't slice or hook as much. The downside is it won't spin as much on approaches to the green or with chipping.

The best thing to do is experiment with different types until you find one that you're comfortable with.

If you're looking for distance off the tee and a bit of forgiveness on wayward shots, go with a Wilson Staff DUO or Callaway Super Soft. The DUO is pretty cheap as well. Like £20 a box or something. The Super Soft is pretty cheap as well I think.

A good all around ball that gives you all the benefits of a premium ball but that is aimed more at average golfers is the TaylorMade Tour Response. 

Whatever you choose, it makes sense to only use that as you'll get to know how it responds on different types of shots.

I never used to think it mattered but I recently turned our front driveway into a putting green and I've been doing loads of chipping with different balls. The difference is massive. The higher quality balls will check on the second bounce and then stop. The two-piece balls will run on a few extra feet. 

So it's fine to use either, but when you are using different types of balls they react in different ways. You might hit a chip eight feet past and think you hit a bad shot, but that exact same shot with a different ball may have ended up a foot away.

Hope that makes sense!

Just had my best ever round. Had 3 pars and 3 bogeys in 9 holes. Hit every fairway and had a good few birdie putts. Putting it down to the confidence I had in the ball after reading all 3 of them articles last night and that Paddy Harrington video posted  by @VladimirIlyich. They are only cheap old Wilsons but knowing they were better for me than expensive Pro V's made a huge difference. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, No2 said:

Just had my best ever round. Had 3 pars and 3 bogeys in 9 holes. Hit every fairway and had a good few birdie putts. Putting it down to the confidence I had in the ball after reading all 3 of them articles last night and that Paddy Harrington video posted  by @VladimirIlyich. They are only cheap old Wilsons but knowing they were better for me than expensive Pro V's made a huge difference. 

Nice one mate.Glad I could help in a small way. I have found Wilson DX2 golf balls pretty decent for me and reasonably priced also.

• Upvote 1

I've used DX2s as well. I could be wrong, but I think they were the soft ball that has now been developed further and renamed DUO. I'm using DUO at the moment but I'm too shit to really be able to see much difference.

Looks like the betting streak is coming to a shuddering halt too. Not looking good on any of those bets at the moment. 

1 minute ago, dave u said:

I've used DX2s as well. I could be wrong, but I think they were the soft ball that has now been developed further and renamed DUO. I'm using DUO at the moment but I'm too shit to really be able to see much difference.

Looks like the betting streak is coming to a shuddering halt too. Not looking good on any of those bets at the moment. 

I think DX2 are now old stock. Most of the golf balls in my bag are antiques by now and the company names are Golf's version of Wedgwood or Chippendale.

Hot on the heels of a certain sports failure at a Super League:

Many of golf’s biggest names including world No 1 Dustin Johnson and England’s Justin Rose have received contracts worth up to $100m to take part in a breakaway ‘Saudi Super League’ that has forced them to choose between Saudi money and the PGA Tour and perhaps even The Masters and Ryder Cup.

12 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Hot on the heels of a certain sports failure at a Super League:

Many of golf’s biggest names including world No 1 Dustin Johnson and England’s Justin Rose have received contracts worth up to $100m to take part in a breakaway ‘Saudi Super League’ that has forced them to choose between Saudi money and the PGA Tour and perhaps even The Masters and Ryder Cup.

They never learn. It will be quite an interesting battle between the Saudis and the blazers in charge of the Golf authorities over this thing. 

Can't see that happening simply because the top golfers always measure themselves on success in the majors, and any new 'tour' wouldn't have the Open, Masters etc so I don't think it stands any chance, no matter how much money they throw at it.

It's not like golfers aren't making incredible money anyway. I mean, Cameron Tringale has over $14m career earnings and has never won anything!

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Can't see that happening simply because the top golfers always measure themselves on success in the majors, and any new 'tour' wouldn't have the Open, Masters etc so I don't think it stands any chance, no matter how much money they throw at it.

It's not like golfers aren't making incredible money anyway. I mean, Cameron Tringale has over $14m career earnings and has never won anything!

I agree but its amazing what even more sack fulls of cash will do to some people. Imagine the Coke and Booze DJ and his missus could buy with that cash? (allegedly.)

Rory has absolutely slammed the idea of it and says the top players won't be interested. For them its about majors and their legacy. 

You just can't replicate that anywhere else as there's too much history.

Bets for this week.

Had a £10 free bet which I threw on Justin Thomas. He played great last week and led every category except putting, so if he has a decent week with the putter he'll take some stopping.

Also had a couple of quid on Homa (defending champ and in good form), Finau (has to win eventually) and stuck a quid on Maverick McNealy at 125/1.

22 hours ago, dave u said:

Bets for this week.

Had a £10 free bet which I threw on Justin Thomas. He played great last week and led every category except putting, so if he has a decent week with the putter he'll take some stopping.

Also had a couple of quid on Homa (defending champ and in good form), Finau (has to win eventually) and stuck a quid on Maverick McNealy at 125/1.

11Fg.gif