You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

3 hours ago, dave u said:

I always wanted an Anser 2 back in the day because Payne Stewart used one. Then last summer I was just scanning through ebay and started looking at Anser putters.

A few weeks later I had about a dozen different Pings which is now up to around 20. Still no Anser 2 though because they tend to go for around £20 more than most other vintage Pings. I've got two old school Ansers, an Anser 4 & 5  and different variations of them that were released over the years, including an Anser 2i, but I don't have an original 2 or a 3 yet as I set myself a budget of £30 per club that I try to stick as close to as possible.

Anser 2 usually go for close to £50 even now.

Just to add to this, my dad was doing Marshall (basically holding up the “quiet please” board when the players tee’d off) on a par 4 at the Irish Open in Killarney in the early 1990s (1991 or 1992?], when Payne Stewart arrived for his drive.  My dad was already a big Stewart fan (as everyone was) and he nodded to him when he stepped onto the tee. There was a delay on the tee due to a slow group ahead and so Stewart came over to my dad for a chat. Totally random, just Payne being dead sound. I think he was US Open champion at the time and he’s asking my dad where’s good to go for a bite to eat later.  My da was beside himself. Stewart then proceeded to duck-hook it into the rough. As he’s walking by my dad he says with a smile “what a dumb way to make a living”. It’s my dads favourite story that he’ll tell at the drop of a hat. He was properly upset when he died in the crash. 

• Upvote 2

He was a great fella Payne Stewart. Great swing too, although nothing beat's Ben Hogans swing (shut up Dave).

I started playing a lot more golf last year when I joined a local club and it's both the greatest and shittest game there is. It's infuriating because you can't master it but you do feel as though you can improve and you just keep chasing the feeling of those great shots.

I've played for 20 years and my natural shot was always a fade, which would turn into a slice on a bad day. I had my first ever lesson a couple of weeks ago and it was a real game-changer. In the lesson I was hitting the ball far better than I've ever hit it before. Long story short; i'm learning how to compress the ball which massively improves the strike. I'm also hitting it further than I ever have, especially with my irons. 

Since the lesson I haven't lost one shot to the right, in fact my miss is now a massive pull hook to the let but my "coach" (that makes me sound good) said that's to be expected at first. I have another lesson in a couple of weeks where presumably he'll dial it back a bit.

I played 9 holes on Tuesday and it was amazing, my iron shots were dancing around the flag consistently. Then I played on Thursday and was missing everything way to the left (kept coming over the top and couldn't fix it). Back out later on for 9 holes with my lad (his first ever knock on a course).

What a game. The sooner this site gets changed to The Golfers Way, the better (fuck that other sport).

• Upvote 2

On 16/04/2021 at 13:53, dave u said:

Tell you what, I'll have a look and see if I have any knocking about and I'll send you whatever one you like.

Anything to stop the crysarsing. You're worse than Indian Red. 

On 16/04/2021 at 13:54, Bjornebye said:

Thats what separates leaders from bosses. 

Stig or God please. I'll shut up then. 

On 16/04/2021 at 13:57, dave u said:

Hold on, I know for a fact I've sent out a Stig one before, and no-one else other than you would have asked for that.

Explain yourself!

Good call Dave. Always knew he was a wrong’un. I think a two week ban for trying to fraudulently obtain a fridge magnet is in order. 

On 25/04/2014 at 18:27, dave u said:

Bjornebye wins this week

On 25/04/2014 at 18:29, Bjornebye said:

Fan fucking dango

And chance of a Stig one boss?

On 01/05/2014 at 16:31, Bjornebye said:

emu4ejaz.jpg

Boobs depend on monday

Ta Dave

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Good call Dave. Always knew he was a wrong’un. I think a two week ban for trying to fraudulently obtain a fridge magnet is in order. 

Negged for being a bad horrible snide grass we've already got one we don't need another. Eeee you fucking scruff. 

Dave I deserve a magnet for calling out someone trying to be a grassing snide arse, I even said you don't look as old as Cink 

Kinell Rapey. You sad horrible grass 

tenor.gif?itemid=4327283

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Negged for being a bad horrible snide grass we've already got one we don't need another. Eeee you fucking scruff. 

Dave I deserve a magnet for calling out someone trying to be a grassing snide arse, I even said you don't look as old as Cink 

Kinell Rapey. You sad horrible grass 

tenor.gif?itemid=4327283

You deserve to be on the wing with Rolf Harris and Gary Glitter you cunt. 

Not because of the fridge magnet like. 

Went to a car boot sale this morning and was on the lookout for any old Ping putters that might be going cheap.

Didn't find any but I did see some Ping Eye 2 woods, the actual wooden ones. I bought a set of Ping Eye 2 irons during lockdown so getting the woods to match made sense. Condition of them wasn't great but it wasn't that bad either. I asked the fella what he wanted for them and he said "I won't sell them separately, I want to get rid of the whole bag".

It was an old Dunlop bag full of various old wooden clubs, a driving iron called 'Tiger Shark' that was still in the packaging, and a couple of crappy old putters.

"How much do you for the bag then" I asked.

"A tenner".

Fucking hell. I would have paid that and a bit more just for the Ping woods so I ended up with this bag full to the brim of ancient clubs (missus wasn't happy!).

Just had a little go with the putters on my putting green (instagram followers will know!) and they outperformed all of my Pings as well as the brand new Wilson Infinite putter I paid £90 for last year.

I have a little 18 hole challenge I've been doing on the green to see which putter I get the best results with. Basically each hole is a par two and the 'course record' is -6. Both of these shitty ancient putters shot -5 and I've got to be honest, they felt great.

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry though. I don't want to be good with some worthless, battered putter from the 70s, I want to be good with the SeeMore Payne Stewart commemorative 1991 US Open putter I bought on ebay last year.

Looking forward to taking the woods to the range this week though as I haven't hit a 'wooden' wood for probably 30 years. Be interesting to see how much distance I lose with them compared to my Cobra.

• Upvote 1

On 17/04/2021 at 13:11, JohnnyH said:

Just to add to this, my dad was doing Marshall (basically holding up the “quiet please” board when the players tee’d off) on a par 4 at the Irish Open in Killarney in the early 1990s (1991 or 1992?], when Payne Stewart arrived for his drive.  My dad was already a big Stewart fan (as everyone was) and he nodded to him when he stepped onto the tee. There was a delay on the tee due to a slow group ahead and so Stewart came over to my dad for a chat. Totally random, just Payne being dead sound. I think he was US Open champion at the time and he’s asking my dad where’s good to go for a bite to eat later.  My da was beside himself. Stewart then proceeded to duck-hook it into the rough. As he’s walking by my dad he says with a smile “what a dumb way to make a living”. It’s my dads favourite story that he’ll tell at the drop of a hat. He was properly upset when he died in the crash. 

Love this story by the way. I met Payne at the 91 Open at Birkdale. His was the only autograph I wanted and I got it. I approached him on one of the practice days as he walked from the second green to the third tee. I was shitting myself as he was my hero and I didn't want him to be a knobhead.

He signed the autograph and I mumbled some lame congratulations about him winning the US Open the month before. He thanked me, I wished him luck for the Open, he thanked me again and that was that. My day was made.

I put the autograph in a drawer at home. A few years later I went to get it out only to find my mum had thrown it away.

I didn't play for six years after he died. I played Birkdale a couple of years ago and as I walked off the second green it was just a weird feeling standing there knowing this was the spot when I'd met him all them years before.

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, dave u said:

I didn't play for six years after he died. I played Birkdale a couple of years ago and as I walked off the second green it was just a weird feeling standing there knowing this was the spot when I'd met him all them years before.

Fucking hell man that is a level of devotion rarely seen for golfers.

24 minutes ago, No2 said:

Fucking hell man that is a level of devotion rarely seen for golfers.

Initially I just didn't want to as it hit me quite hard. Then after a while I just got out of the habit of playing and didn't really think about it. It's not like five years later I was thinking "I can't play because Payne died", but when you stop playing sometimes you just forget how much you enjoy it.

I think I only started playing again because atk who used to post here suggested we had a game. Then I got back into it and we had the TLW golf days, which were class.

I'll bring that back, maybe later this year depending on whether this covid shit allows it.

On 17/04/2021 at 09:56, dave u said:

I always wanted an Anser 2 back in the day because Payne Stewart used one. Then last summer I was just scanning through ebay and started looking at Anser putters.

A few weeks later I had about a dozen different Pings which is now up to around 20. Still no Anser 2 though because they tend to go for around £20 more than most other vintage Pings. I've got two old school Ansers, an Anser 4 & 5  and different variations of them that were released over the years, including an Anser 2i, but I don't have an original 2 or a 3 yet as I set myself a budget of £30 per club that I try to stick as close to as possible.

Anser 2 usually go for close to £50 even now.

We are paying you too much. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

We are paying you too much. 

I sold a ton of shit on ebay to fund my putting green and Ping putter habit. Mostly footy shirts and collectible action figures I'd picked up over the years.

The good thing with buying second hand clubs is they don't lose value. What you pay for them now is more or less what you'll get for them in a year or so if you sell them on.

With new stuff they've lost about 30% as soon as you walk out of the shop.

• Upvote 1

It's hard not to collect putters, it's such a confidence club. I have a Seemore mallet, a Taylormade Spider, Odyssey 2 ball and Nike Method Core blade that I rotate in and out based on my mood and I absolutely can't tell which one I'm best with despite the fact they're all completely different styles. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's hard not to collect putters, it's such a confidence club. I have a Seemore mallet, a Taylormade Spider, Odyssey 2 ball and Nike Method Core blade that I rotate in and out based on my mood and I absolutely can't tell which one I'm best with despite the fact they're all completely different styles. 

The upside to having all these putters is it encourages me to practice because it just makes it more interesting.

The downside is I flip flop from week to week about which one is best for me.

Yesterday has really given me a problem. I was so good with one of those two boot sale putters it was a real eye opener. I think it's a John Letters one and it may even date back to the 60s. There's no way I'm using that on the course, but it's mad that considering all the supposed technological advancements in putters that what is essentially just a lump of metal is giving better results than all the higher tech stuff.

• Upvote 1