You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

5 minutes ago, dave u said:

A terrible slice will be a terrible slice regardless! Therte's no club that can mask those. The first time I used it on the range I was in the end bay on the left and was still hitting loads in the trees on the right hand side.

It was mostly just that my timing was way off after not playing for ages.

Yeah, key word being "help" mask. 

My mate worked for Calloway for years and then moved to Cobra.  Therefore my irons are Calloway big Bertha b21s and my woods are a cobra radspeed driver and 3 wood and a classic baffler acting as my 5 wood, although I can hit that baffler 150 yards or 220 yards depending on the swing. It’s my go to when I’m hitting the ball badly. I switch between a scotty Cameron and a ping for the putter.

I just wish I could get out and play...

Anyone watching the golf on Sky now?

I stuck a quid each way on Stewart Cink before the tournament at 125/1 and he's currently four shots clear. I won £35 last night as  I had a quid on Cam Smith to be the first round leader. I've already spent that on the putter I posted a picture of above.

If Cink wins I don't know what I'll buy to treat myself!

• Upvote 3

Just now, dave u said:

Anyone watching the golf on Sky now?

I stuck a quid each way on Stewart Cink before the tournament at 125/1 and he's currently four shots clear. I won £35 last night as  I had a quid on Cam Smith to be the first round leader. I've already spent that on the putter I posted a picture of above.

If Cink wins I don't know what I'll buy to treat myself!

That walking penis cost me hundreds by beating Tom Watson in the open play-off years ago. The lanky bald twat. 

8 hours ago, No2 said:

Dave would you recommend picking a ball and sticking with it? I'd have 20 different ones in the bag, cleanest one gets hit. Should I invest in 50 of the same type or does it make any difference. I'm shite by the way, capable of a couple of pars per round.

Invest in lessons.

Three pages and not a single Caddyshack reference ?

I was a keen golfer when I was young. Parents bought me Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear clubs when I was about ten. Had a membership at the local club and played probably 4-5 times a week. Never took any lessons, so never got really good, but kept at it all the way through high school. 

Realized the game was no longer for me because of a few reasons...

1.) took up too much time

2.) started getting popular in the 80's - too many clowns on the course and prices went up

3.) always frustrated, whether I'd play good or bad

4.) punching a guy for stealing my ball (he so deserved it). That was actually the last time I played, other than a free vacation day at Torrey Pines in San Diego years ago.

I lost out on a career with the RCMP (Mounties) because of golf.

Anyway it’s been 25 some years since the incident and I’m thinking of getting back into it. I actually

played lot when I was in my late teens/early 20s and was in the low 90s which I don’t think is all that impressive but I enjoyed it (the courses were not difficult). My parents actually got me a golf bag for a present (not even my birthday or Christmas) and I used my Dad’s clubs which were Slazenger irons and Wilson drivers from the 1960s). Apparently a club pro said the sweet spot was small and I’d improve greatly with newer and more forgiving clubs. 

Anyhoo, because of the pandemic I’m sure equipment prices have skyrocketed so I guess I’m stuck with the 1960s clubs. 

Also lots of fit women on pof seem

to like golf and I did win Longest Drive at the 1991 Blackburn Arms Pub tournament. 

I'm absolutely shit at golf. Many a time people have said "come and have a go, dont worry we're shit too" only afterwards for them to say "yep, you're shit".

Thing is, I'm left handed but play right handed so should have a natural advantage as its my better arm that supposedly controls the swing. One day I'll give it a real go and try some lessons but I just know the end effect will be me being shit.

11 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Anser 2. I love it. When my eyes in the hole is a bucket when I’m using that. 

I always wanted an Anser 2 back in the day because Payne Stewart used one. Then last summer I was just scanning through ebay and started looking at Anser putters.

A few weeks later I had about a dozen different Pings which is now up to around 20. Still no Anser 2 though because they tend to go for around £20 more than most other vintage Pings. I've got two old school Ansers, an Anser 4 & 5  and different variations of them that were released over the years, including an Anser 2i, but I don't have an original 2 or a 3 yet as I set myself a budget of £30 per club that I try to stick as close to as possible.

Anser 2 usually go for close to £50 even now.

12 hours ago, dave u said:

Funny that, I love him because he stopped that cunt Watson winning the Open.

15 minutes ago, Carradona said:

I second this motion. 

I did a tenner e/w on him on the Friday morning after he’d carded a decent first round and dropped from 500/1 to 150/1. He missed a 6ft putt to win it. Went to a play off and he just capitulated. The arl bastard 

2 hours ago, dave u said:

I always wanted an Anser 2 back in the day because Payne Stewart used one. Then last summer I was just scanning through ebay and started looking at Anser putters.

A few weeks later I had about a dozen different Pings which is now up to around 20. Still no Anser 2 though because they tend to go for around £20 more than most other vintage Pings. I've got two old school Ansers, an Anser 4 & 5  and different variations of them that were released over the years, including an Anser 2i, but I don't have an original 2 or a 3 yet as I set myself a budget of £30 per club that I try to stick as close to as possible.

Anser 2 usually go for close to £50 even now.

It was when I left my job in Ryanair 6 years ago that the girls in the office got together and bought it as a going away gift. They’ve no clue about golf so it was pure luck. I was more than happy with my Scotty Cameron and an Odyssey 2 ball I could switch to if I wanted a change. But the anser 2 just went top of the pile after it’s first use. 

My mate who worked in the golf is a collector of putters too, but scotty Cameron as opposed to ping. He’s got some belters, including a few directly from the man himself with are worth a couple of quid. He paid feck all for them of course, jammy twat.