You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

2 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

Good luck with that. 

I "won" a fridge magnet in 2015 and my fridge is still waiting for a TLW magnet.

PXL_20210416_125416741.thumb.jpg.e815215f7f3883defc99cc4cbabfdfcb.jpg

Tell me what one you want, PM me your address and you can the one I was gonna send Bjornebye until I realised he was pulling a fast one.

Also, I had that same Homer magnet on my fridge for years!

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You must have been really hammered to say something like that.

I'd already met Colin Montgomery earlier in the day, and watched Sergio Garcia play first thing, so I was on something of a high.

Later on that night I bumped into a lad I knew from Wirral council - literally, he was asleep on a patch of grass/garden where we were staying (I think it was the university). Now HE was hammered.

3 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

My younger cousin was a British Youth Champion in the 90’s. Then he found weed the daft twat.

That’s what happened to my cousin, only with the f**ty instead. He was in the academy system and played with Curtis Jones in his Sunday team. Was better than him as well, by all accounts. Now he works behind a bar in town and he smells like green round the clock. 

I don’t think I’ll ever forgive him. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

That’s what happened to my cousin, only with the f**ty instead. He was in the academy system and played with Curtis Jones in his Sunday team. Was better than him as well, by all accounts. Now he works behind a bar in town. 

Similar story to myself, apart from the being good at football part, I was shit, but I was a great stoner.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

That’s what happened to my cousin, only with the f**ty instead. He was in the academy system and played with Curtis Jones in his Sunday team. Was better than him as well, by all accounts. Now he works behind a bar in town and he smells like green round the clock. 

Don’t even think my cousin works, got left a few quid the fucking wastrel.

6 hours ago, dave u said:

I'd have put money on you being one of the first to reply, and I'd also have doubled down on the bet by saying the response would be along those lines.

Alles ist gut will be next saying something like 'top top fancy sat nav watch analysis'.

I know this forum and its inhabitants like the back of my hand.

Instead of arrogantly dismissing it, might be better to engage with my constructive criticism.

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

What's in your bag, Dave? What clubs do you play with?

Wilson Staff D7 irons. Cobra Speedzone driver and 3 wood. Wilson Staff D200 hybrids (3&4) and the putter could be anything. I've mostly been using a Wilson Staff Infinite but I'm shite with it. I've been collecting vintage PING putters though so I use whichever one I feel comfortable with that week.

11 minutes ago, dave u said:

Wilson Staff D7 irons. Cobra Speedzone driver and 3 wood. Wilson Staff D200 hybrids (3&4) and the putter could be anything. I've mostly been using a Wilson Staff Infinite but I'm shite with it. I've been collecting vintage PING putters though so I use whichever one I feel comfortable with that week.

Cool. How's the driver? That's last year's Cobra model isn't it? I'm in the market for a new driver. I've had a Titleist 910 D2 since about 2013 and it's good but it's time to update.

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Cool. How's the driver? That's last year's Cobra model isn't it? I'm in the market for a new driver. I've had a Titleist 910 D2 since about 2013 and it's good but it's time to update.

I love it. I got fitted for it in American Golf last year and tried out a few others at the same time. It was either the Cobra or the Callaway Epic Flash.

I also tried the Callaway Rogue, a PING one (whatever last year's model was) and the TaylorMade SIM.

I was getting best results from the Cobra and it was also £100-£150 cheaper than all the others so I went with that.

Currently I've also got the TaylorMade SIM2 Max D to test out as I'm reviewing it for T3.com (it will probably have to go back when I'm done).

It's the draw bias one which helps with my slice. I've been hitting it at the range. Its really good but I'm not consistent enough to really see much difference between that and my Cobra.

Basically, all the drivers are really good and it just comes down to which one suits your eye. The difference from one year to the next is virtually non-existent though. A driver from 5 years ago will maybe go a couple of yards shorter than the latest one but it's really negligible. With yours being a bit older than that you should see a bit of a difference, but you won't be blown away by it.

At American Golf they'll get you to come in with your driver and hit some shots, then they'll compare the numbers with the new ones you test.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dave u said:

I love it. I got fitted for it in American Golf last year and tried out a few others at the same time. It was either the Cobra or the Callaway Epic Flash.

I also tried the Callaway Rogue, a PING one (whatever last year's model was) and the TaylorMade SIM.

I was getting best results from the Cobra and it was also £100-£150 cheaper than all the others so I went with that.

Currently I've also got the TaylorMade SIM2 Max D to test out as I'm reviewing it for T3.com (it will probably have to go back when I'm done).

It's the draw bias one which helps with my slice. I've been hitting it at the range. Its really good but I'm not consistent enough to really see much difference between that and my Cobra.

Basically, all the drivers are really good and it just comes down to which one suits your eye. The difference from one year to the next is virtually non-existent though. A driver from 5 years ago will maybe go a couple of yards shorter than the latest one but it's really negligible. With yours being a bit older than that you should see a bit of a difference, but you won't be blown away by it.

At American Golf they'll get you to come in with your driver and hit some shots, then they'll compare the numbers with the new ones you test.

If you're at any kind of level where you play below 100, The SIM2 Max D I don't think is very appealing. Draw biased drivers aren't helpful in terms of fixing a slice, it just tries to mask it which unless you're a beginner, won't help a golfer improve, imo. And it's not very versatile if you start improving. You'll want to change it quick.

I've hit most of the newish drivers. The Mavrik, SIM, Ping G410. The regular Mavrik to me is controllable enough where I didn't feel the need for the Mavrik Max. The SIM in contrast, I felt I needed more MOI, and preferred the SIM Max. It's weird how it works. Still don't know what brand to get. I've been thinking of getting a new driver since last fall and still haven't pulled the trigger because there isn't much difference in performance for me.

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If you're at any kind of level where you play below 100, The SIM2 Max D I don't think is very appealing. Draw biased drivers aren't helpful in terms of fixing a slice, it just tries to mask it which unless you're a beginner, won't help a golfer improve, imo. And it's not very versatile if you start improving. You'll want to change it quick.

A draw biased driver only gives you a difference of around 7 yards dispersion according to my local club pro. So while it doesn't fix a slice or even prevent a fade, it can be the difference between being in the rough or the trees.

Initially I was still hitting it left to right on the range but I hadn't played for four months and I was even slicing seven irons. I'm hitting it better now I've had more practice and that SIM2 has a lovely feel out of the middle. The sound is great too, it's like a gun going off.

I still prefer my Cobra, although I think the SIM2 is going further. I need to get on the course with them one evening when it's quiet and just hit a load of drives on the same fairway to see which is going furthest and straightest.

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

A draw biased driver only gives you a difference of around 7 yards dispersion according to my local club pro. So while it doesn't fix a slice or even prevent a fade, it can be the difference between being in the rough or the trees.

Initially I was still hitting it left to right on the range but I hadn't played for four months and I was even slicing seven irons. I'm hitting it better now I've had more practice and that SIM2 has a lovely feel out of the middle. The sound is great too, it's like a gun going off.

I still prefer my Cobra, although I think the SIM2 is going further. I need to get on the course with them one evening when it's quiet and just hit a load of drives on the same fairway to see which is going furthest and straightest.

Sure. I suppose if it increases someones enjoyment of the game by helping to mask really terrible slices, more power to them. I just think it's the kind of club people should move off of after a while.

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I've hit most of the newish drivers. The Mavrik, SIM, Ping G410. The regular Mavrik to me is controllable enough where I didn't feel the need for the Mavrik Max. The SIM in contrast, I felt I needed more MOI, and preferred the SIM Max. It's weird how it works. Still don't know what brand to get. I've been thinking of getting a new driver since last fall and still haven't pulled the trigger because there isn't much difference in performance for me.

Yeah I didn't like the SIM when I tried that either. I'm not good enough to play that.

The G410 is meant to be very forgiving but I haven't tried that one. As you say, I don't think there's much difference in the performance of any of the new drivers in comparison with eachother, or with drivers that are a few years old. You're talking a couple of yards distance and probably a little bit more forgiveness.

And with irons the difference is even less.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Sure. I suppose if it increases someones enjoyment of the game by helping to mask really terrible slices the more power to them. I just it's the kind of club people should move off of after a while.

A terrible slice will be a terrible slice regardless! Therte's no club that can mask those. The first time I used it on the range I was in the end bay on the left and was still hitting loads in the trees on the right hand side.

It was mostly just that my timing was way off after not playing for ages.