You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf thread / my new project

dave u

Since I stopped writing for ESPN I was looking for some other freelance work to make up for the loss of income. I didn't really want to do any more footy writing as I prefer just being able to write whatever I like and to not have to worry about editorial policies, so TLW suits me perfectly on that front. I don't think anywhere else is letting me use the phrase 'slobbering goon'.

Anyway, I've landed a nice gig reviewing golf equipment for T3.com and I'm also intending to do a golf youtube channel. I'm working on that, but unless I can get more comfortable in front of the camera that's never going to see the light of day! Hopefully I can solve that problem as I've got good ideas for interesting content. I just don't know if I can pull off the presentation.

So I'm starting this thread for any golfers on here and for anyone that wants to support me just by following the social media accounts and then - if and when the time comes - liking/subscribing/sharing the videos.

I'll post some of the links for the golf stuff I've reviewed, so any clicks would be appreciated as if they're getting good views that's obviously helpful to me.

The youtube channel is called Bang Average Golf TV but there aren't any videos on there yet. I'll post the link to subscribe if/when there's anything to subscribe to.

There's an instagram account - https://www.instagram.com/bangaveragegolftv/

Twitter - https://twitter.com/GolfBang

and the website which isn't finished but will be soon - https://bangaveragegolf.co.uk/

• Upvote 8

14 minutes ago, dave u said:

Since I stopped writing for ESPN I was looking for some other freelance work to make up for the loss of income. I didn't really want to do any more footy writing as I prefer just being able to write whatever I like and to not have to worry about editorial policies, so TLW suits me perfectly on that front. I don't think anywhere else is letting me use the phrase 'slobbering goon'.

Anyway, I've landed a nice gig reviewing golf equipment for T3.com and I'm also intending to do a golf youtube channel. I'm working on that, but unless I can get more comfortable in front of the camera that's never going to see the light of day! Hopefully I can solve that problem as I've got good ideas for interesting content. I just don't know if I can pull off the presentation.

So I'm starting this thread for any golfers on here and for anyone that wants to support me just by following the social media accounts and then - if and when the time comes - liking/subscribing/sharing the videos.

I'll post some of the links for the golf stuff I've reviewed, so any clicks would be appreciated as if they're getting good views that's obviously helpful to me.

The youtube channel is called Bang Average Golf TV but there aren't any videos on there yet. I'll post the link to subscribe if/when there's anything to subscribe to.

There's an instagram account - https://www.instagram.com/bangaveragegolftv/

Twitter - https://twitter.com/GolfBang

and the website which isn't finished but will be soon - https://bangaveragegolf.co.uk/

This is a shit idea and you are a twat.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

I'd have put money on you being one of the first to reply, and I'd also have doubled down on the bet by saying the response would be along those lines.

Alles ist gut will be next saying something like 'top top fancy sat nav watch analysis'.

I know this forum and its inhabitants like the back of my hand.

• Like 1

I've followed the instagram account, do you know there is another 'Bang Average Golfers' account? Is that connected? 

Also, trie to click on the website and got this

Your connection isn't private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from bangaveragegolf.co.uk (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I've followed the instagram account, do you know there is another 'Bang Average Golfers' account? Is that connected? 

Also, trie to click on the website and got this

Your connection isn't private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from bangaveragegolf.co.uk (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

There's probably loads of similarly named ones.

The website just needs an SSL certificate I think. It's on the to do list!

Dave would you recommend picking a ball and sticking with it? I'd have 20 different ones in the bag, cleanest one gets hit. Should I invest in 50 of the same type or does it make any difference. I'm shite by the way, capable of a couple of pars per round.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

He’s got form for this kind of thing I’m afraid. 

Yep. "Me Me me" I'm still waiting on a fridge magnet and the bastard knows I live with a blue as well. By the time I get it nobody will own fridges anymore. 

• Upvote 3

In my old job circa 2005/6 I went to St Andrews for the Open. There was a magazine called Golf Punk who'd I'd arranged a freebie visit round Merseyside for. Phil Babb was one of the magazine backers and they put on a party with a free bar somewhere in the town - I was smashed and found Babb and told him he was one of my favourite ever players. His reply: "That's great, thanks - have a good night".

And I did.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, No2 said:

Dave would you recommend picking a ball and sticking with it? I'd have 20 different ones in the bag, cleanest one gets hit. Should I invest in 50 of the same type or does it make any difference. I'm shite by the way, capable of a couple of pars per round.

Well, funny you should ask!

https://www.t3.com/features/what-type-of-golf-ball-should-you-be-using

https://www.t3.com/features/taylormade-golf-ball-guide

https://www.t3.com/features/wilson-staff-golf-balls

https://www.t3.com/us/features/callaway-golf-balls

I've always been the same as you really. The ball I used was whichever one I pulled out of the bag or my pocket, and usually that would be one I found in the trees. I had to do a lot of research on it recently though to do those reviews, and it does make a difference which ball you use.

The first link explains it in more detail, but basically it comes down to a few things. There are different types of balls aimed at the various levels of golfers. The balls the pros use are the best money can buy but that doesn't mean they'll be the best for you and me.

We don't hit irons as crisply as the pros so having a high spin ball isn't as essential for most of us. And how fast is your swing? If it's not superfast like a pro then you aren't going to get as much benefit from the top end balls like ProV1 or TP5 etc

A lower compression ball will give you more distance and it spins less so it won't slice or hook as much. The downside is it won't spin as much on approaches to the green or with chipping.

The best thing to do is experiment with different types until you find one that you're comfortable with.

If you're looking for distance off the tee and a bit of forgiveness on wayward shots, go with a Wilson Staff DUO or Callaway Super Soft. The DUO is pretty cheap as well. Like £20 a box or something. The Super Soft is pretty cheap as well I think.

A good all around ball that gives you all the benefits of a premium ball but that is aimed more at average golfers is the TaylorMade Tour Response. 

Whatever you choose, it makes sense to only use that as you'll get to know how it responds on different types of shots.

I never used to think it mattered but I recently turned our front driveway into a putting green and I've been doing loads of chipping with different balls. The difference is massive. The higher quality balls will check on the second bounce and then stop. The two-piece balls will run on a few extra feet. 

So it's fine to use either, but when you are using different types of balls they react in different ways. You might hit a chip eight feet past and think you hit a bad shot, but that exact same shot with a different ball may have ended up a foot away.

Hope that makes sense!

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve only ever played golf once - crazy golf whilst on holiday in North Wales as a kid. I couldn’t hit the ball straight, got embarrassed and soiled my underpants.

'As a kid'. Yeah, right. Ok.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. "Me Me me" I'm still waiting on a fridge magnet and the bastard knows I live with a blue as well. By the time I get it nobody will own fridges anymore. 

Tell you what, I'll have a look and see if I have any knocking about and I'll send you whatever one you like.

Anything to stop the crysarsing. You're worse than Indian Red. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, dave u said:

Tell you what, I'll have a look and see if I have any knocking about and I'll send you whatever one you like.

Anything to stop the crysarsing. You're worst than Indian Red. 

Thats what separates leaders from bosses. 

Stig or God please. I'll shut up then. 

26 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Good luck with that. 

I "won" a fridge magnet in 2015 and my fridge is still waiting for a TLW magnet.

PXL_20210416_125416741.thumb.jpg.e815215f7f3883defc99cc4cbabfdfcb.jpg

• Upvote 9