You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boulahrouz: Virgil should not be thinking about European Championships 

TLW

Virgil Van Dijk should scrap any thoughts of playing for the Netherlands in the upcoming European Championships according to his countryman Khalid Boulahrouz.

The imperious defender has been making steady progress from a knee injury which has seen him out of action since the middle of October.

The impact of Van Dijk's absence who is widely seen as Liverpool’s most important player has been there for all to see and started a domino affect with other central defenders falling by the wayside and Jurgen Klopp having to turn to stop-gap measures to keep Liverpool’s season afloat.

There was a theory that if Liverpool were in contention in the Champions League latter stages that Van Dijk could make a late season return, but that was swiftly put to bed by Klopp who would not risk his prime asset under any circumstances.

Dutch National boss Frank De Boer would love to see the 29 year-old in his squad but is leaving the ball in Van Dijk’s court.

“Ultimately, he must have a good feeling himself. I’m glad he’s on the right track.

“We will see. I’m not putting any pressure on him at all. He must do it himself and must have confidence in it himself. The choice mainly lies with him.”

But one person who thinks it is not worth the risk is Boulahrouz.

The retired 39 year-old was a defender who could play across the back four, was renowned as a tough tackler and given the nickname  'Cannibal” from a young age.

Boulahrouz had a 14-year professional career which saw him play in many countries across Europe including two stints in Germany and a short spell at Chelsea under Jose Mourinho in the 2006-7 season.

He also played 35 times for the Netherlands including in two World Cups (2006,2010) and a European Championship (2008) and therefore knows the pride that Van Dijk will feel in playing in a major tournament.

However  he says Van Dijk needs to balance that with the thought of his long term future.

vandijk1_600.jpg

The Mirror via (Voetbal Primeur) reported Boulahrouz as saying:

“I don’t think he should be preoccupied with the European Championship.

“He shouldn’t put that pressure on himself. His career lasts longer than the tournament. 

“Sure, such a tournament is great, but he still has many beautiful things to do in his career.

“He first has to go and see: okay, will I be able to get fit in time? And how far along am I when I can get back on the pitch?

“Then he has to see if it’s worth considering. But I wouldn’t be thinking about the European Championships.”

Fair to say that many Liverpool fans along with the manager would concur with those thoughts.

View full article

When a guy nicknamed the Cannibal tells you you're doing too much it may be prudent to take a listen. It's just a fact that any time you do your cruise ship ligament you need to ease back into it slowly not go running off to the fakkin Euros you big armband. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Wont VvD most likely have the chance to play in a World Cup in 12 months anyway? Skip the International Carabao Cup and play in the only international tournament that matters,is the best idea.

That World Cup is 18 months away so I agree he'd be in better shape for that one if he doesn't rush his recovery in time for the Euros this summer.

On 16/04/2021 at 07:52, Iceman said:

When a guy nicknamed the Cannibal tells you you're doing too much it may be prudent to take a listen. It's just a fact that any time you do your cruise ship ligament you need to ease back into it slowly not go running off to the fakkin Euros you big armband. 

Simon, is that you?

• Upvote 1