You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Premier League Round Up (Apr 10-12 2021)

tlw content

One of the many downsides to us being shit is we can’t even enjoy a City defeat anymore. They lost at home to a late winner from ten man Leeds and I got absolutely zero pleasure from it.

Imagine how that would have felt last season or the season before. Rooting for West Ham to lose to increase our chances of finishing fourth just isn’t the same.

Hell of an effort by Leeds that though. Dallas gave them the lead after being set up by my boy Bamford. Cooper was then sent off after VAR told the ref to check the challenge he made on Jesus. Such a modern football red card that. He won the ball and then wiped out Jesus with the follow through. 

Some players made their living off those challenges back in the day. And when I say back in the day, I don’t mean the 70s or 80s. Carra and Stevie loved those ones too. They get the crowd going, they let the opponent know you mean business, and there’s fuck all wrong with it. At least there never used to be. You can’t do it now and the refs actually got this one right based on what they are told to do.

So Leeds were down to ten and my boy was sacrificed so they could get an extra defender on. Torres equalised late on but City looked vulnerable to counter attacks and Raphinha was giving them all sorts of problems. He should have scored but was denied by Ederson. He then nearly set up Alioski following another swift counter, and then right at the death Alioski picked out the run of Dallas and he fired through the legs of Ederson to win it.

That XG thing I mentioned last week. Leeds had an XG of 0.13 even though on the Dallas winner he was clean through on goal in the centre of the pitch. The first goal he scored was a low percentage chance as it was a shot from the edge of the box. But even if we disregard the other chances they had, does that mean they had a 13 percent chance of Dallas converting that one v one? 

Don’t answer that as it’s a rhetorical question. I couldn’t give a fuck what the actual answer is. I already know that XG is utterly pointless and MOTD should stop bowing to the stat nerds and fuck it right off. Load of shite.

Interesting that City have fallen behind six times in the league this season and haven’t won any of them. They’re miles better than everyone else currently but they’re nowhere near as good as they were.

Something I noticed in this game that has been a recurring theme all season. You can do whatever you like on set-pieces now without being called for it. The amount of shirt pulling and grabbing from defenders on set-pieces is at an all time high, when you’d think it would be the opposite because of VAR. Stones was blatantly hauled back by the shirt right in front of the ref, and VAR looked at it too and gave nothing.

There’s clearly been a directive sent out to not give any penalties for this kind of thing as you could easily give a penalty following every single corner if you wanted to. Some degree of holding and shirt grabbing needs to be allowed but there have been loads of incidents when a player has been prevented from reaching the ball because he’s been yanked back by the shirt. 

As much as this is irritating, on a list of things that need fixing about the game in its current sorry state, it doesn’t even make the top 100. Plenty of things that need addressing before this.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the PL Round Ups are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

The Son/foul/VAR thing - one thing empty stadiums has highlighted is the squealing by some players when they do down. Son is a chief culprit. What a prick. It was so bad I actually found myself rooting for Man Utd. What a shitty fucking season.

Also - I didn't think so at the time, but Cavani has been a pretty good move for them.

Finally, VAR - I'm sure Salah spoke out against it after a game, though I forget which one. It'll still be here next season, and I can't see stadiums being more than half full, so I reckon next season will be as shit as this. (Insert unhappy emoji here.)

• Upvote 1

I’d score at least once even in the terrible shape I’m in. And if I could body swap with Traore I’d score 50 goals a season

Help is at hand...

Body mask.jpeg

Not sure how your gut would fit into it, but it's a bloody good body-double for Traore's physique.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't want Kane. If he was younger and had less niggling injuries then the fee he would cost would be worth it because he's excellent. Pisses me off we are one of the biggest clubs in the world, the last 3 years won the league the European cup plus went to another final but when we are linked to big players we all know its a joke. An elite club who can be outset by most of the league, good job we are so smart at business.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The shirt grabbing was a thing a few seasons ago,until City got two penalties against them in one game and soon after it was scrapped. Fancy that!

I'm always reluctant to say too much on it because of how Skrtel got away with it for so long!

I think he got punished once though, didn't he? I remember the look of shock on his face.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic
On 20/04/2021 at 10:40, dave u said:

I'm always reluctant to say too much on it because of how Skrtel got away with it for so long!

I think he got punished once though, didn't he? I remember the look of shock on his face.

At home against Swansea for certain.