You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 0 Real Madrid 0 (Apr 14 2021)

tlw content

1 hour ago, lebron said:

Main causes for our disastrous season (where we still got to the QF stage of CL and are still favourites to get CL qualification), ranked;

1. Season-ending injuries to ALL three starting-caliber CBs (notice that we were top of the league until all three went down)

2. Inability to react to said injuries due to tight finances (during a pandemic, or on a whole)

3. Lack of supporters at home (a factor for all teams, but hits us more than most)

4. Other players injuries and loss of form, possibly Covid-related

5. Unprecedented run of shit decisions by VAR and refs (especially from Nov-Feb)

6. Profligacy in front of goal, Firmino and Mane being the main culprits, even if Salah misses his share too.

7. I'll be cooperative and put Klopp and some of his decisions here...

Fair to say I disagree a bit with your statement...

And we'll never know how much the loss of Klopp's mum and Alisson's dad, and their inability to attend their funerals affected those two.

• Upvote 1

Interesting fact here - When Liverpool and Real met in the Champions League final in Kiev in 2018, Klopp's line-up included seven of those who started at Anfield on Wednesday.

And lets face it if Hendo and VVD were fit that number would be 9.

The biggest game of the season and we didn't start the two big summer signings. I don't know what to make of that.

Also, Benitez had been making noise in the run up to the game about Thiago being key to a good performance and win... and he gets left on the bench. 

I also feel sorry for Shaqiri getting thrown into games with barely minutes to go. 

15 hours ago, an tha said:

Interesting fact here - When Liverpool and Real met in the Champions League final in Kiev in 2018, Klopp's line-up included seven of those who started at Anfield on Wednesday.

And lets face it if Hendo and VVD were fit that number would be 9.

Its a concern that we've let the team remain that static.  The front 3 were far superior then, the midfielders were fitter. We are letting the core of the team grow old together. 

Great report. The bookies, who rarely get it wrong have us as joint 3rd favourites with Chelsea to get top 4, ahead of Leicester. 

Leicester have a relatively easy run of 4 games (West Brom, Palace Southampton and Newcastle) and then finish with Manchester United, Chelsea and Spurs. 

If they win the 1st 4, I think it won't matter if they lose the last 3, we probably won't get 68+ points to pass them. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Razoray said:

Great report. The bookies, who rarely get it wrong have us as joint 3rd favourites with Chelsea to get top 4, ahead of Leicester. 

Leicester have a relatively easy run of 4 games (West Brom, Palace Southampton and Newcastle) and then finish with Manchester United, Chelsea and Spurs. 

If they win the 1st 4, I think it won't matter if they lose the last 3, we probably won't get 68+ points to pass them. 

Out of those first 4 games, only palace look reasonably safe from relegation. I agree if Leicester pick up 4 wins from those 4 they will be in a good position but Im not sure they will.

• dave u unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Personally I’m still furious that Jota didn’t start and Bobby did. I’m sorry it makes no sense to me. And why play Milner on the Saturday if he starts this? Some strange decisions. The loss of form from some players in beyond bizarre. 

I don't think Jota is good enough to start in the middle, and I don't think Mane was good enough to start central either, on current form.

The only thing wrong with that line up was that he didn't do it a week earlier.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

I don't think Jota is good enough to start in the middle, and I don't think Mane was good enough to start central either, on current form.

The only thing wrong with that line up was that he didn't do it a week earlier.

And Bobby is, currently?!  It was obvious any chance that falls to him would be fucked. Even the goal vs Villa was miss hit. He’s lost it. Currently he’s fucking shit. He just is. I know how I might come across, I loved him 2 years ago. But Jota is a goal waiting to happen and currently Bob offers nothing. 
Too much loyalty to this team. 

4 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Actually just fuck off

Playing Bobby over Jota like you’re understanding football in a deeper way. Fuck off

Nothing to do with my own understanding. I'm just paying close attention to how Klopp uses him.

I'll explain, if you're interested. 

As far as I can tell, every player has a particular role to play in 'the system', and that's been our biggest downfall this season.

The injuries haven't killed us in and of themselves, it's the replacements not being able to do what the injured players can do that's been the big issue.

And I count Thiago and Jota in that too.

It's no coincidence that our best performances this year have come from a midfield of Fabibho, Milner and Wijnaldum.

That midfield even made our full backs look like they are meant to look.

Firmino (even when he was great) got more columns in the press than other other player in our side because of the role he plays and how vital that was to the way we want to play, yadda yadda.

Every other week another player was brought in to comment on it. It was tedious.

On top of that, Mane and Salah have both already been preferred central to Jota, and in big games too.

Jota plays on the left for Portugal and played on the left for Wolves.

Time will tell, but I'm doubling down on my prediction that Jota will rarely play there for us.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, m0e said:

Nothing to do with my own understanding. I'm just paying close attention to how Klopp uses him.

I'll explain, if you're interested. 

As far as I can tell, every player has a particular role to play in 'the system', and that's been our biggest downfall this season.

The injuries haven't killed us in and of themselves, it's the replacements not being able to do what the injured players can do that's been the big issue.

And I count Thiago and Jota in that too.

It's no coincidence that our best performances this year have come from a midfield of Fabibho, Milner and Wijnaldum.

That midfield even made our full backs look like they are meant to look.

Firmino (even when he was great) got more columns in the press than other other player in our side because of the role he plays and how vital that was to the way we want to play, yadda yadda.

Every other week another player was brought in to comment on it. It was tedious.

On top of that, Mane and Salah have both already been preferred central to Jota, and in big games too.

Jota plays on the left for Portugal and played on the left for Wolves.

Time will tell, but I'm doubling down on my prediction that Jota will rarely play there for us.

I am indeed interested. I disagree. It is the injuries, our replacements have been poor though. I see the system you speak of, but my point was a shit Firmino offers nothing.

2 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I am indeed interested. I disagree. It is the injuries, our replacements have been poor though. I see the system you speak of, but my point was a shit Firmino offers nothing.

My point was that Klopp disagrees.

Your beef is really with him.

• Upvote 1