You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leeds (A) Premier League - 19/4/21 - 20:00

Bjornebye

We've played just the once at Elland Road since Leeds got relegated back in 2004, and that was a League Cup tie in 2009/10 when David Ngog got the only goal of the game. It's a ground where we've had some mixed results. The standout game is almost certainly the 4-3 in 2000/01 when we let Viduka run riot. Then there's the 1-0 defeat in 1995 when Yeboah scored one of the goals of the 90s.

However, we've managed some big wins, not least when we went there in February 2002. They had the likes of Fowler to choose from too, but I think it was around that time when they were unravelling financially. The chairman had mortgaged the house (and his £10k fish tank) on being Champions League regulars like the Mancs and Arsenal. They'd spent a fortune they didn't really have trying to live the dream. We'd been on a recent run where we struggled to get goals and wins (not unlike our recent form), but that got set straight in this game. Rio Ferdinand put into his own net for the opener, Heskey scored twice in the second half having been unable to buy a goal for months, and Owen added the gloss. 4-0 then, and we'd comfortably qualify for the Champions League with our highest finish in the PL era. The following week we travelled to relegation-threated Ipswich and battered them 6-0 with debutant Abel Zavier getting the opener!

The big hit at the time was 'Hero' by Enrique Iglesias. He spent 4 weeks at the top of the chart with this dirge aimed at the sort of people who watched Dawson's Creek as kids before moving onto the Twilight saga and sappy shit like The Notebook.

Leeds gave us more than a few problems on the opening day of the season at Anfield, and they've been one of the league's more entertaining teams this season. You can't always be sure what you're going to get with them. Sometimes they don't do anything right, and other times they're a complete handful. Bielsa spends his time either squatting on his coolbox or prowling the touchline like an angry Mafia don deciding which poor underling should feel his wrath. All we have to do is retain shape and solidity defensively while taking any chances that we create or that present themselves. Easier said than done, but if we do all the right things, we can be heroes.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Josef Svejk said:

Any chance we could give Robertson a breather? We're fucking ruining him. 

I always assume the Greek lad is injured. Actually, until I saw him play for Greece recently I assumed he didn't exist. Like this "Davies" character. 

15 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I fucking hate Leeds. Get in, smash ‘em, get out. 

Note: I’ll be monitoring this thread for any positive Leeds noises. They are scoundrels of the highest order and should be referred to as such. 

Leeds only seem to evoke emotions of hate from people within their geographical area. I just think of Leeds,shrug my shoulders and say 'meh.' They do have an unusually high opinion of themselves for a team without a trophy for a few decades,a lot like a certain set of supporters whose trophy winning escapades are also ancient history.

I think it also an age thing for the likes of me who despised them as ' Dirty Leeds ' in the late 60's  and even managed to get a dig in at them in my 11-plus essay.

At the risk of YR's ire however I would say that other than us they are the only team I have made any effort to watch this season.

A win here would leave us well placed to cement our place in the top 8.  Yeah, I know, that shouldn't be a "target" this season, but we've never finished lower than that since we were promoted nearly 60 years ago and it's a run I'd like to continue.

Just get these beat, Reds.