You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

Always freaks me out how close Russia is to America on a globe. You see the Atlas and it's 'East v West', and the Soviets had these tank armies in East Germany and NATO had theirs in the West, and it was all about 'oooh what if they come across the Atlantic we should put SOSUS warning nets from Iceland to Scotland and patrol it with subs.

Yet all the while Russia is actually 15 yards from Alaska on the 'other side'. 

I'm no Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa but if I'd been a Soviet general with a massive, massive cap I'd have been across the Klondyke with my SCUD missiles faster than you can say 'rude tourist'. 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Lavrov said, "Do you recognize Russia's sovereignty over Rostov and Voronezh oblasts?" Truss said the UK would "never" do so – before the ambassador told her they're not in Ukraine

In fairness they could have fooled many a foreign minister with that one but the fact they tried it on the stupid cunt shows the contempt they hold her and her country in.

12 minutes ago, No2 said:

In fairness they could have fooled many a foreign minister with that one but the fact they tried it on the stupid cunt shows the contempt they hold her and her country in.

It does but I find it weird so many people make the Russian foreign minister and his country to be the 'good guy' in all this. Like yeah, they've amassed 100,000 plus troops on Ukraine's eastern border for some reason, wonder what that is if it isnt intimidation?

Someone posted older Ukrainians would welcome a Russian incursion to put an end to the rise of drug gangs taking over the country. Like yeah, there's no drugs gangs or any other type of gang culture in Russia.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It does but I find it weird so many people make the Russian foreign minister and his country to be the 'good guy' in all this. Like yeah, they've amassed 100,000 plus troops on Ukraine's eastern border for some reason, wonder what that is if it isnt intimidation?

Someone posted older Ukrainians would welcome a Russian incursion to put an end to the rise of drug gangs taking over the country. Like yeah, there's no drugs gangs or any other type of gang culture in Russia.

I'm not sure they are painted as the good guys tbh.

Everything in the media is painting them as the agressors and that may be the case,but international relations are rarely as simple as the good guys v the bad guys.

I remember growing up in the 80s and the Russians were constantly portrayed as the enemy,yet it's only when you educate yourself ,you discover some of the unpleasant things the likes of America got upto.

Pure Russia this:

Russian teenager jailed over ‘Minecraft plot to blow up virtual spy HQ’ | Russia | The Guardian

Russian teenager jailed over ‘Minecraft plot to blow up virtual spy HQ’

Boy, 16, sentenced to five years for alleged plan to target FSB building created in computer game

A Russian teenager has been sentenced to five years in prison for allegedly planning to blow up a virtual FSB security service building in the video game Minecraft.

The ruling falls into a broader pattern under President Vladimir Putin in which young Russians are put behind bars on controversial and preemptive terrorism charges.

A military court in Siberia sentenced 16-year-old Nikita Uvarov to five years in a penal colony on charges of “training for terrorist activities”, the rights lawyer Pavel Chikov said on the messaging service Telegram.

Won't somebody think of the pixels!

52 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I'm not sure they are painted as the good guys tbh.

Everything in the media is painting them as the agressors and that may be the case,but international relations are rarely as simple as the good guys v the bad guys.

I remember growing up in the 80s and the Russians were constantly portrayed as the enemy,yet it's only when you educate yourself ,you discover some of the unpleasant things the likes of America got upto.

I wasnt talking about the media in particular and no, I wouldnt deny the US or even the west got up to unpleasant things. The fact is, this thread is specific to the current situation on the Ukraine eastern border.

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I wasnt talking about the media in particular and no, I wouldnt deny the US or even the west got up to unpleasant things. The fact is, this thread is specific to the current situation on the Ukraine eastern border.

It would be nice to get a completely impartial take on the situation 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I'm sure that someone was one of the resident loons, hardly representative of the forum. I'm not making Russia out to be the good guy just highlighting the current state of UK representation on the global stage. He's deliberately made a fool of her, would he do that to the French or Germans?

On 12/04/2021 at 13:04, Bjornebye said:

It's gonna kick the fuck off again.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/12/europe/ukraine-zelensky-front-lines/index.html

Ukraine's President heads to the trenches as Russia masses its troops

EXCLUSIVE by Matthew Chance, CNN

Updated 1152 GMT (1952 HKT) April 12, 2021

On the front lines in eastern Ukraine (CNN)Ankle-deep in thick black sludge, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky moves stealthily with his troops in single file through the warren of trenches and tunnels that form the tense front lines in the east of his country.

It feels more like the early 20th century than a modern conflict, with tired, nervous soldiers gripping their rifles around him as they reach open ground, scanning the area for movement across no-mans-land.
They know snipers, likely trained by Russians, say Ukrainian officials are looking for a chance to fire. More than 20 of their comrades have been gunned down already this year.
It's eerily quiet with an occasional crack of a gunshot in the distance shattering the calm, keeping everybody on edge.

Called it 

25 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Maximum conscription age is 41 in the UK, I'm 42. 

A year from now there'll be empty gyms everywhere and boyfriendless young poontang begging for radioactive Gen X cock.

200.gif

I’d chuckle now at the prospect of them even attempting to bring in conscription. Bit difficult when about 99% of people would just say ‘no’

Biden has confirmed he has no intention of committing US troops so it will be suicide for any European country to get involved on the ground.

I think this creates a bit of an existential crisis for the british and other European armies, what’s the point of them if they can’t stand up to the Russians without the US ? 

7 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Biden has confirmed he has no intention of committing US troops so it will be suicide for any European country to get involved on the ground.

I think this creates a bit of an existential crisis for the british and other European armies, what’s the point of them if they can’t stand up to the Russians without the US ? 

Can't and won't aren't the same thing.

17 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Hang on Captain W, why would the point of European countries' armies be committing troos in Ukraine against the Russians? Ukraine is neither in the EU nor in NATO.

34 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Hang on Captain W, why would the point of European countries' armies be committing troos in Ukraine against the Russians? Ukraine is neither in the EU nor in NATO.

I think we’re standing up for another European country facing an aggressor as per Poland and Hitler. That said, talk is cheap, it’s another thing to actually send young men to their certain deaths in a trench in a field in Eastern Europe. It’s a tricky one for European Governments, they know a war with Russia is inconceivable but they can’t stand by and do nothing. I am assuming from all the diplomacy that they are desperate for a resolution. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think we’re standing up for another European country facing an aggressor as per Poland and Hitler. That said, talk is cheap, it’s another thing to actually send young men to their certain deaths in a trench in a field in Eastern Europe. It’s a tricky one for European Governments, they know a war with Russia is inconceivable but they can’t stand by and do nothing. I am assuming from all the diplomacy that they are desperate for a resolution. 

You mean, unlike the phoney war when Germany and USSR invaded Poland and UK and France did nothing?

It is not even clear whether Ukrainians are willing to man the trenches or for how long. 

What would it actually take for some people to see that we might not be the good guys here either? A bunch of Ukrainian military sieg hailing as they goose step down the street on parade live on CNN?

Imagine Russia setting up an alliance that swept north from some place in South America then worked its way up to Mexico where it stopped, then there was a coup in Mexico backed by Russia. Then Russia started arming and funding a bunch of Stalinists that terrorised Mexicans near the US border that had resisted.

I'm sure it'd be the fault of the US if they had the nerve to gather troops on the border.

Further investigation into the matter, CIA officials say, would inevitably reveal a series of embarrassing relationships in the 1950s and 1960s with some of the most powerful organizations and individuals in American journalism.

Among the executives who lent their cooperation to the Agency were Williarn Paley of the Columbia Broadcasting System, Henry Luce of Tirne Inc., Arthur Hays Sulzberger of the New York Times, Barry Bingham Sr. of the LouisviIle Courier‑Journal, and James Copley of the Copley News Service. Other organizations which cooperated with the CIA include the American Broadcasting Company, the National Broadcasting Company, the Associated Press, United Press International, Reuters, Hearst Newspapers, Scripps‑Howard, Newsweek magazine, the Mutual Broadcasting System, the Miami Herald and the old Saturday Evening Post and New York Herald‑Tribune.

The CIA and the Media

I wouldn't be surprised if things are way, way worse now. Imagine how much propaganda they've spewed out via media about Russia in recent years? It'd probably be amazing to learn the truth if the US gov actually set up a committee to investigate it properly.

I'm not trying to start a big load of arguing off, it amazes me that's all how one-sided some of this can be. Not just here but all over social media, etc, too. To remind I'm not trying to make out like Russia (or China) are good guys either. This whole thing seems completely mental though. The US gov and media are truly fucking insane when it comes to issues like Russia and they've been at it for years on end now. It's some seriously unhinged shit.

26 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

What would it actually take for some people to see that we might not be the good guys here either? A bunch of Ukrainian military sieg hailing as they goose step down the street on parade live on CNN?

Imagine Russia setting up an alliance that swept north from some place in South America then worked its way up to Mexico where it stopped, then there was a coup in Mexico backed by Russia. Then Russia started arming and funding a bunch of Stalinists that terrorised Mexicans near the US border that had resisted.

I'm sure it'd be the fault of the US if they had the nerve to gather troops on the border.

The reason why former Soviet republics are joining NATO is so Russia cannot easily bully them. The reason Russia opposes their joining NATO is because then it cannot easily bully them. Russia is not afraid NATO will invade them.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

The reason why former Soviet republics are joining NATO is so Russia cannot easily bully them. The reason Russia opposes their joining NATO is because then it cannot easily bully them. Russia is not afraid NATO will invade them.

Now try that bullying logic with the US and South America. Maybe Russia should get an alliance sorted as soon as possible so that they can start sweeping north towards Mexico.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Maximum conscription age is 41 in the UK, I'm 42. 

A year from now there'll be empty gyms everywhere and boyfriendless young poontang begging for radioactive Gen X cock.

200.gif

Insert your own "Chernobyl fallout" punchline here.