You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Why should Ukraine have to remain "neutral", whatever that's supposed to mean? These people are off their friggin' rockers.

It's a really bizarre suggestion that one. He's basically saying the USA should promise that Ukraine should act in a certain way that is acceptable to Russia. Has anybody considered, ya know, giving a fuck about what Ukraine wants? The idea that this is somehow a US-led NATO vs Russia war is buying into weird Russian propaganda. They're blasting Ukraine and its people, pointing fingers at the US for NOT acting (after all, the criticism has been that they are the ones at fault for this due to NATO's 'aggression') on Ukraine's behalf is fucking weird. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

He's very misguided thinking it would be that easy. Does he think Putin will let the current Ukraine government remain in situ or want a puppet installed? He obviously doesnt believe Ukraine should be allowed its own destiny.

That's a rhetorical question by the way.

• Upvote 1

Oh, and BTW, even if the US did make promises on Ukraine's behalf about neutrality, I highly doubt - unless you really buy into this bullshit about it being NATO's fault - Putin would withdraw. He has made his views on Ukraine's legitimacy as an independent state abundantly clear. He wants it, and he's going to take it. Yanis chatting about a US based promise on the part of Ukraine is actually more ridiculous than I first thought. What would that tell Putin? Want a country? No problem, attack it and then that'll force the hand of the West. Fuck off, man. That'd be the worst thing to do.

Always astounded at times like this at (a) the sheer laziness of Facebook/Twitter blaggers and (b) the lack of even basic military awareness of the general population.

"A Ukrainian soldier leaves for the front lines, pray for Ukraine."

original-2.jpg

"Ukrainian troops man the border outside Kiev. I stand with Ukraine."

2063677906_b929c027b5.jpg

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It's a really bizarre suggestion that one. He's basically saying the USA should promise that Ukraine should act in a certain way that is acceptable to Russia. Has anybody considered, ya know, giving a fuck about what Ukraine wants? The idea that this is somehow a US-led NATO vs Russia war is buying into weird Russian propaganda. They're blasting Ukraine and its people, pointing fingers at the US for NOT acting (after all, the criticism has been that they are the ones at fault for NATO's 'aggression') on Ukraine's is fucking weird. 

The idea that Ukraine's desires should be somehow subordinate to those of someone else, someone more powerful, represents a kind of outdated imperialistic attitude that should have been left in the 20th century.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Strontium said:

The idea that Ukraine's desires should be somehow subordinate to those of someone else, someone more powerful, represents a kind of outdated imperialistic attitude that should have been left in the 20th century.

I'm actually amused at myself for how much that tweet annoyed me. A full 5 minutes of fume on my part. 

14 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh, and BTW, even if the US did make promises on Ukraine's behalf about neutrality, I highly doubt - unless you really buy into this bullshit about it being NATO's fault - Putin would withdraw. He has made his views on Ukraine's legitimacy as an independent state abundantly clear. He wants it, and he's going to take it. Yanis chatting about a US based promise on the part of Ukraine is actually more ridiculous than I first thought. What would that tell Putin? Want a country? No problem, attack it and then that'll force the hand of the West. Fuck off, man. That'd be the worst thing to do.

Nobody has suggested it's "NATO's fault". That's wilfully misrepresenting people, which weakens your own argument. 

What some have said is that NATO expansion was provocative, whilst at the same time acknowledging Russian aggression.  The two are not mutually exclusive.

1 hour ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

That video doing the rounds of the tank running over the car is a bit mad. A few people have suggested that it was deliberate. But, this video from an another angle might suggest that he got spooked by the mad shit going on to the side of him. 

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1497213543837544449

The fact that he reversed back over it is quite compelling evidence.

20 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Nobody has suggested it's "NATO's fault". That's wilfully misrepresenting people, which weakens your own argument. 

What some have said is that NATO expansion was provocative, whilst at the same time acknowledging Russian aggression.  The two are not mutually exclusive.

Fucking hell, how many times? NATO doesnt have 'expansionist' ideals. Free, independent former USSR countries decided, over time,  they wanted to be part of the organisation.

Instead of spouting bullshit about expansionism, you and others should be asking why former USSR states wanted to be part of NATO and not the russian 'federation.'

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fucking hell, how many times? NATO doesnt have 'expansionist' ideals. Free, independent former USSR countires decided, over time,  they wanted to be part of the organisation.

Instead of spouting bullshit about expansionism, you and others should be asking why former USSR states wanted to be part of NATO and not the russian 'federation.'

Screenshot_2022-02-25-18-13-50-78_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

1 minute ago, Captain Willard said:

Mrs Willard is on a WhatsApp group for ex soldiers, there are a few meatheads making plans to hire a minibus, drive over there and volunteer. A bit like the Spanish civil war all over again. 

May I suggest they think again? 70,000 Chetchen 'meatheads' have volunteered to go aid Putin's army.

May I also suggest if people look to any deity for inspiration, they pray that this does not spiral out of control.

Those like me who dont hold with any deity had better hope a semblence of common sense prevails and the fighting stops pretty soon.

Im getting pretty shit scared and I dont mind admitting it. Not that I was around in 1939 and I was only knee high to a grasshopper in 1962. But this has all the ingredients to get very, very bad.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Mrs Willard is on a WhatsApp group for ex soldiers, there are a few meatheads making plans to hire a minibus, drive over there and volunteer. A bit like the Spanish civil war all over again. 

Give em Lawrence Fox's address, tell em to beep outside.

• Upvote 1