You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

A former colleague. Only worked with her briefly but she struck me as one who’d fight the Russians in the streets with whatever came to hand. 

Tough as fuck, clever as fuck. There were a dozen like her in that office alone. Not just women I hasten to add. 

I just hope the Russians aren’t watching her account too closely.

A10195EE-51BC-4288-AA19-43255B6AD173.png

8F5E2149-32D1-4C0D-A9A3-BEAFA4709F59.jpeg

She wants them to close the sky? Israel? I really like her though 

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

That video doing the rounds of the tank running over the car is a bit mad. A few people have suggested that it was deliberate. But, this video from an another angle might suggest that he got spooked by the mad shit going on to the side of him. 

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1497213543837544449

Awful that. It did look to have lost control coming round the bend but I suspect it was intentional. Glad the fella survived. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

She wants them to close the sky? Israel? I really like her though 

Yes - she’s a quality person. I hope she gets through it.

Not sure of her facts, I guess she’s operating with a bit of emotion at the moment. I think she’s asking for NATO air support. She’ll take care of them on the ground. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

A former colleague. Only worked with her briefly but she struck me as one who’d fight the Russians in the streets with whatever came to hand. 

Tough as fuck, clever as fuck. There were a dozen like her in that office alone. Not just women I hasten to add. 

I just hope the Russians aren’t watching her account too closely.

8F5E2149-32D1-4C0D-A9A3-BEAFA4709F59.jpeg

8105A56C-885E-4086-A073-886D1A8CB776.jpeg

I think she was being interviewed on the BBC not long ago.  Said the same things and looked hot considering.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

That video doing the rounds of the tank running over the car is a bit mad. A few people have suggested that it was deliberate. But, this video from an another angle might suggest that he got spooked by the mad shit going on to the side of him. 

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1497213543837544449

Grim seeing that soldier shot dead. You grow up, have loved ones and friends and life, and then it all ends by the side of a truck in a foreign country cause some dickhead wants to replay the Cold War.

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Yes - she’s a quality person. I hope she gets through it.

Not sure of her facts, I guess she’s operating with a bit of emotion at the moment. I think she’s asking for NATO air support. She’ll take care of them on the ground. 

She was asking for a no fly zone in Ukraine.

• Upvote 2

It does look as though they (Europe/US) will just let Putin "take" Ukraine given the the response so far . I would imagine the intelligence is that the sanctions will destabilise Russia to such an extent that he will be toppled by his own people and Ukraine restored.

High stakes and loss of many innocent lives in the process.

The problem will be trying to avoid the mentalist going out with a bang of his choosing when the time comes         

2 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Heard a few people say nato could have done things a bit differently over the last few years  but maybe he has wanted to do this along along?

You would have thought where countires are so dependent on each other in terms of business and finance,that you wouldn't start a war, putting this in danger?

Also don't get how they went from Gorbachev to yeltsin to putin?

Did he just seize power?

Not really done much reading on recent Russian history.

Putin was considered a 'meek' bureaucrat who could be easily controlled - he was a 'suit'. Yeltsin's health was failing him, he was losing support and his extended family was deep in corruption and wanted an organised exit. In return for stepping away his + his family retirement was funded: his daughter, for example, still receives gifts like Teslas or properties in Moscow to this day, even decades on.

They let the wolf into the hen house, which is a shame because other primed liberal candidates (Nemtsov for example) would likely have led to a very different landscape for the country but ironically were considered too politically-mature compared to a figure like Putin. Of course many of those (Nemtsov included) have since been assassinated. Russia will Russia.

You get the impression western intelligence is all over the Russians to the point where they just can't begin to match it anymore, in terms of technology and resources. 

Putin calls for Ukrainian troops to overthrow the government. Russians steal Ukrainian uniforms and trucks and drive into Kiev, get killed by Ukrainian military.

Kerry Katona's been posting their battle plans on Twitter. 

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I was aware before the tweet evidence that you linked.

You realise twitter is often used by politicians, experts, politicians etc as a platform to get information out to a wide number of people quickly? 

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Again, for like the third time, it doesn't matter and isn't relevant. 

Yes, good one, because it's only me saying it. Just one football forum poster. The Russian president saying a thing doesn't make that thing he says any more than an excuse for war. No more than him saying it was to avoid genocide and Nazism makes it so. Me being a member of a football forum - albeit quite a well-credentialed one when it comes to international relations and defence - doesn't make that any less untrue when he says it. After all, we've got the next PM of Norway posting on this forum FFS. Putin has rattled off a load of untrue reasons for invading another country. They're bullshit. Anyway, you can't seem to grasp this, and judging by the way you've acted in other threads it's not going to stop you pushing that nonsense. So good luck, I guess. 

You just described yourself as a poster who is...

"Well credentialed when it comes to international relations and defence"

Don't you think you may be taking yourself a tiny bit to seriously? 

You asked what people were pushing for that could upset Putin and so make him act the way he has and I gave you an answer, backed up by articles from CNN and the Washington Post amongst others.  

Anyway I've had a full quota of your pomposity for one day so I'll leave it there seeing how you hate the clogging of threads with subjects not to your particular tastes.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

You get the impression western intelligence is all over the Russians to the point where they just can't begin to match it anymore, in terms of technology and resources. 

Putin calls for Ukrainian troops to overthrow the government. Russians steal Ukrainian uniforms and trucks and drive into Kiev, get killed by Ukrainian military.

Kerry Katona's been posting their battle plans on Twitter. 

I think you seriously underestimate the damage Russian hackers and troll farms have inflicted online. They’ve damaged both the UK and US political processes, and Putin took a US President and put a collar and lead on him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gnasher said:

You realise twitter is often used by politicians, experts, politicians etc as a platform to get information out to a wide number of people quickly? 

I am aware of how Twitter works, yes. 

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

You just described yourself as a poster who is...

"Well credentialed when it comes to international relations and defence"

Don't you think you may be taking yourself a tiny bit to seriously? 

No, it's just that it's my actual profession. I was responding to you calling me a poster on a football forum. Yes, I am a poster on a football forum, but I'm not only that. 

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

You asked what people were pushing for that could upset Putin

Ha! That isn't what I asked - at all - and the fact you read that into it shows me that there's absolutely nothing to gain from talking to you.

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Anyway I've had a full quota of your pomposity for one day so I'll leave it there seeing how you hate the clogging of threads with subjects not to your particular tastes.

It's nothing to do with my tastes, it's to do with the subject matter. This thread is about 'Russia vs Ukraine', posting about UK poverty in this thread isn't about tastes, it's about it having fuck all to do with it. 

Anyway, I've had enough of your rank ignorance for today so I'll leave it there, seeing as you love clogging up threads with subjects that have nothing to do with the thread topic.