You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha 

UN secretary-general, António Guterres, called for an immediate end to military activity near the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant in Ukraine, Europe’s largest.

“I am calling on the military forces of the Russian Federation and Ukraine to immediately cease all military activities in the immediate vicinity of the plant and not to target its facilities or surroundings,” he said in a statement on Thursday.

Guardian updates

Why did he include Ukraine military forces?

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Hospitals are such a good idea

...until you're in one when a nuke goes off. 

That'd be the nuke causing the damage though. In this case the thing being hit could cause by far the worst damage, not the weapons hitting it.

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

That'd be the nuke causing the damage though. In this case the thing being hit could cause by far the worst damage, not the weapons hitting it.

Yes, but it's an unlikely scenario. So when deciding when to build things, those things probably shouldn't factor in too much. 

14 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Don’t know, I’m sure you’ll be able to tell me. 

They've both been reckless around the plant. Russians were firing there in camera the footage we saw months back, Ukraine recently with "kamikaze" drones. That's just one example from either side. I doubt all of the cases recently are all Russia or all Ukraine, maybe both of them still being reckless.

11 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Regardless of who shelled who, everything that has happened and is happening in Ukraine at the moment is the fault of Russia. The end.

Yeah and we can easily just whip out the "false moral equivalence" card for anyone who says otherwise about anything at all.

30 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yeah it's Russia Russia Russia, forgot sorry. Even though they have their own troops there. Got to be shelling their own troops, can't possibly be anyone else.

I mean they are so protective of their own troops. They mollycoddle them to be honest. No way they’d put them in harms way.  

Plus it makes perfect sense for Ukraine to make part of its country uninhabitable for decades.  

15 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Regardless of who shelled who, everything that has happened and is happening in Ukraine at the moment is the fault of Russia. The end. Enough of the victim blaming, we get enough of that on this forum already.

Yeah, and I suppose that's my fucking fault. Etc., etc. Oh how we laughed. 

But yeah, you're right. You don't get to invade a country, blow the shit out of it, then point fingers at somebody shooting a gun back. Well, you could I guess. But that'd make you a big ol' Russia-lovin' hillbilly, wouldn't it now. 

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Plus it makes perfect sense for Ukraine to make part of its country uninhabitable for decades.  

It makes very little sense to me why either side would be shelling anywhere near the plant. Ukraine for the reasons you said and Russians because they control it, have troops there and could be trying to redirect power from there to areas they control.

6 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

It makes very little sense to me why either side would be shelling anywhere near the plant. Ukraine for the reasons you said and Russians because they control it, have troops there and could be trying to redirect power from there to areas they control.

Is it because Russia has invaded and want to cripple Ukraine and cow them into submission. I mean the plant has been there for years and Ukraine have managed not to shell it before. What’s changed I wonder?  

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I could carry on but I'm off. Not doing the 24-48 hour thing just because I pointed something out about a nuclear power plant. In one of the most propagandised wars we've ever known.

Oh he’s off again. He won’t come back with more Russian apologist shite, he really won’t. Deffo won’t…Not a chance

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Oh he’s off again. He won’t come back with more Russian apologist shite, he really won’t. Deffo won’t…Not a chance

Yeah here's some more "Russian apologist" shite for you before I go too : ‘Kamikaze drones’ strike Russian-controlled Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant

One of the propagandised wars ever. Almost anything not fully supporting Ukraine is Russian apologist. It's been completely fucking stupid for months on end. So yeah I'll avoid the 24-48 hour bullshit just for mentioning something thanks.

All conflicts are propagandised. But all this focus on who fired missile X or dropped bomb Y, killing combatant Z, just serves to deflect away from the more important things, like which side is in the right. In this case I would have to say it is unambiguously the Ukrainians who are defending their homeland from invaders, and everything else is just noise.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yeah here's some more "Russian apologist" shite for you before I go too : ‘Kamikaze drones’ strike Russian-controlled Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant

One of the propagandised wars ever. Almost anything not fully supporting Ukraine is Russian apologist. It's been completely fucking stupid for months on end. So yeah I'll avoid the 24-48 hour bullshit just for mentioning something thanks.

I mean you remember how this started right?  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I pointed something out about a nuclear power plant.

TBF pal Russia first accused Ukraine of shelling there almost a month ago (albeit just a few days after some Russians apparently died at the site after an unexplained "event").

Are you watching this war on a stream??

Part 2 of Tom's "while I way pretending to be on vacation" three-week recap, this one about the Russian ground forces. Expect also Part 3.

They are interesting even if you followed the situation on a daily basis, some of the stuff is a bit too optimistic though.

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x/ukraine-war-early-august-2022-part-2-63aad98130c4

20 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

TBF pal Russia first accused Ukraine of shelling there almost a month ago (albeit just a few days after some Russians apparently died at the site after an unexplained "event").

Are you watching this war on a stream??

I posted yesterday after seeing repeated reports on it recently. Nuclear plants might be thought of as one of the best ways of getting energy that we know of but I've never been comfortable with the safety of them personally. What's going on in Ukraine reminded me of that.