You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

https://www.news18.com/news/world/belarus-president-alexander-lukashenko-claims-west-plotting-to-attack-russia-5540479.html

Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko claimed on Tuesday that the West was preparing to attack Russia via Belarus.

Speaking to military graduates and officers, Lukashenko said he discussed the alleged Western plot with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday. 

“Strategic plans for an attack against Russia are being developed," Lukashenko alleged, saying the West would seek to target Russia “through Ukraine and through Belarus".

“History is repeating itself," he said, in an apparent reference to the invasion of Russia by Napoleon’s troops in 1812 and by Nazi Germany in 1941.

Putin sent troops into Ukraine on February 24.

Belarus, the Kremlin’s main ally, has served as a staging ground for the Russian army in its offensive on neighbouring Ukraine. 

Western countries have never publicly said they are planning to attack Russia.

But Lukashenko pointed to NATO’s continued expansion, saying the “newly-minted crusaders" were “forming an armoured fist" to attack Russia.

“The events unfolding today around Belarus and Russia call for our utmost vigilance and concentration," Lukashenko said.

He said the West was pushing the world towards “major war" and said the army should “keep its powder dry".

Russian foreign ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova struck a similar note on Tuesday. 

She accused the United States and its allies of provoking the Ukraine crisis and risking “an open military confrontation with our country".

“Obviously, such a collision would carry a risk of nuclear escalation," she said in a statement.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Everyone except the Ukrainian military? Or Zelensky?

Ukrainian soldiers too, many times, commenting on replacements coming to their best units.

It is actually mentioned so often it is highly surprising I have to waste time expanding on it. 

Your point being?

28 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I imagine if it was not beneficial to Ukraine it wouldn't be happening.

Any training is beneficial. The point is, I don't understand the priorities if they are providing basic training to inexperienced conscripts in UK, which the description suggests. This is hardly inexpensive. They are saying they have 700,000 in the armed forces alone now. So the reasonable assumption would be, about half a million would still need some form or elements of basic training or retraining for reservists, or some form of additional, expert training (armour, anti-armour, artillery, medics, logistics etc.). So what they need is a well designed, locally delivered, mass-programme.  

You would expect that training provided by the British Army to soldiers flown in from the other end of the continent would be something expert, specific, adding high value, something only British Army or some other larger Nato army could provide. Like when the US trained 1,400 artillery personnel so far. Or 400 trained by the British. When military from Nato or friendly nations go to US for various training courses, these are usually selected, experienced soldiers coming to learn more complex skills.

Basic training can be provided by Ukrainians in Ukraine. They must have enough experienced veterans no longer eligible for combat that can still work with conscripts. At later stages, you can use 15-day rotation periods for additional training. 

19 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I think he updates like every 2 or 3 days now.

I was going to ask - you stopped posting his links ?

Now I have to bookmark it and scroll down on my own for it every couple of days.

Sigh.

5 minutes ago, Anubis said:

A plane has crashed in Greece that was carrying weapons to Ukraine. 

Carrying mines & weapons to Bangladesh apparently? Plane was Ukranian. To be honest if it's stopping mines getting to a 3rd world country then it's not exactly the saddest news in the world. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Carrying mines & weapons to Bangladesh apparently? Plane was Ukranian. To be honest if it's stopping mines getting to a 3rd world country then it's not exactly the saddest news in the world. 

You have something against Serbian weapons industry?

2 hours ago, ManéMan said:

Fear mongering mongery 

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, so if you are I apologise, but that speech is one of the best summaries I've heard of the situation.

It's not "fear-mongering" to say that Russia is brutally murdering people in Ukraine. It's a simple statement of fact.

10 hours ago, Anubis said:

A plane has crashed in Greece that was carrying weapons to Ukraine. 

It was an Antonov An12. They are banned from flying into EU countries for safety reasons, and have been for a while. Fuck knows what was going on there,

You might think that your country has some serious issues, but then you see Russian state TV covering the deaths of their soldiers like this and realise it could be so much worse.

Essentially, the report says "their son died fighting in Ukraine, but his parents were able to buy this Lada with the death benefit. 'We got a white one, just like he'd always dreamed of,' says the father, driving it to the cemetary."

If it were a Monty Python sketch you'd say it was too depressing!