You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

I do wonder if there is much appetite among ordinary Russians for this? What's in it for them? Are they to do blindly follow a chap that has made his mates billionaire's while they starve and freeze? If ever there was a time for the opposition to rise up its now.

5 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This part is true, for sure. He barely mentioned the NATO issue, it was all "Ukraine shouldn't really exist, all Ukrainians really just want to be Russians."

The historiography was ... questionable, to say the least.

What were you listening to? He mentions NATO loads of times in his hour speech and I've still got 10 mins of it to go.

I'm listening to it because I thought the media would select small parts they were ok with and not mention most of the stuff they didn't like. Like the coup in Ukraine and the shit that went on since, they don't seem too keen on mentioning details there. One of the main things that started all of this shit off.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

To be clear - you are listening to the media's coverage so you can see how biased it is?

I'm listening to this. He mentions NATO fucking loads of times. It's obvious that NATO is one of the main issues Russia has been talking about and it's been the case for a long time now. You might not agree with him and think he's talking a load of shit, fair enough maybe he is. But nobody can listen to this and not think NATO is one of the key problems he's talking about.

Or you can just read selective bits from our media outlets that have lied about Russia for years on end, I'm not interested in only doing that though. I'd rather listen to this and also read our media then see what bits are left out.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Zelensky made it very clear the other day that Ukraine's goal is to get into NATO.

Ukraine's goal.

Putin's stated goal is to deny them that.

Yeah it seems clear that after decades of NATO being aimed at causing Russia problems, the coup in 2014 and the fact that he sees the gov as western puppets he's had enough. From listening to that hour there's no trust any more, whatever the US/NATO says or does they're no longer trusted by Russia so here we are.

So we now have Russian forces inside Ukraine in the area that's been shelled by Ukrainian military for years on end, egged on by the US and other countries and they now have tons more weapons. I don't see how this ends well.

It’s been quite clear for years that Putin is a complete twat. Unfortunately, the West’s governments have, also for years, been led by people with zero ability to do anything other than allow untrammelled money laundering. God knows where all this ends.

6 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

What were you listening to? He mentions NATO loads of times in his hour speech and I've still got 10 mins of it to go.

I'm listening to it because I thought the media would select small parts they were ok with and not mention most of the stuff they didn't like. Like the coup in Ukraine and the shit that went on since, they don't seem too keen on mentioning details there. One of the main things that started all of this shit off.

Only the lamestream media though, eh? 

That sentence sums up your cognitive process in a nutshell. Go into something with a preordained set of beliefs, be it whatever the alt-right/Russian chaos bots are telling you to believe about Biden, Trudeau, Covid, Russia, all manner of topics and, shock horror, you come out the other side with your beliefs confirmed, indeed solidified now you've 'analysed' more sources, and it turns out that Joe Rogan was right. Again.

It's called confirmation bias. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't see how this ends well.

It ends the same way as Crimea. Russia claiming the two regions are Russian, the rest of the world not recognizing it, and more sanctions. Or Russia takes the whole of Ukraine and gets bogged down in years of insurrection and unrest.

9 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

There was a great documentary about Putin a while back. It painted him as a man cornered by his own ruthlessness. He's squirrelled billions away, but he can't just retire into the sunset as he's made so many enemies that he essentially has to stay in power or he's dead. It's why he would routinely turn against some oligarch he helped made rich, as he'd get jumpy that they were plotting against him.

Was it this Channel 4 documentary series? Well worth a watch, some interesting interviews with people Putin has had poisoned. It’s available to watch on All 4:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/putin-a-russian-spy-story

6E6E8939-6B5B-4CB7-9D5F-B1E4D71442DE.jpeg

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Only the lamestream media though, eh? 

That sentence sums up your cognitive process in a nutshell. Go into something with a preordained set of beliefs, be it whatever the alt-right/Russian chaos bots are telling you to believe about Biden, Trudeau, Covid, Russia, all manner of topics and, shock horror, you come out the other side with your beliefs confirmed, indeed solidified now you've 'analysed' more sources, and it turns out that Joe Rogan was right. Again.

It's called confirmation bias. 

No I think all sides do that to some extent.

I'm not a fan of being told what to believe either or having beliefs then just going around and sticking to them because others share the belief, that's not really how I look at things. I get the impression you think I blindly believe most stuff I want to then go ahead regardless, when in reality loads of stuff I've seen and might have wanted to believe has turned out to be false when I've looked further into it or there's not been sources to confirm it.

I don't usually post about it though when that happens, I move on to something else or check back later to see that there's still not good enough sources or it's been proven/probably is false.

31 minutes ago, M_B said:

It ends the same way as Crimea. Russia claiming the two regions are Russian, the rest of the world not recognizing it, and more sanctions. Or Russia takes the whole of Ukraine and gets bogged down in years of insurrection and unrest.

Yeah it looks like it could be a long drawn out thing if they don't try to negotiate, especially with all of the weapons in Ukraine at this point. I really hope there's some peace shortly from negotiations though and that all sides are still prepared to talk even if it doesn't look good now.

https://themoscowtimes.com/news/aggressors-will-be-annihilated-we-will-go-to-heaven-as-martyrs-putin-says-63235

Not recent, but recent enough.  It's a shame that the world would have to be destroyed, but I'm quite interested to see how a US v Russia nuclear war would play out.  Is Russia's gear good enough?  Who has a surprise up their sleeve?  I wouldn't be surprised to see Starlink satellites flying into Russian satellites.  

Has Russia got a dragons or some massive aquaman hidden in their lakes? 

I dunno, I think the CIA were years ahead of this.  When Yeltsin was pissed and Russia had a breakdown, I'm guessing the CIA did a lot of 'future-proofing' in Russia, around key infrastructure.