You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

I dunno, I expect Putin to have a fall down the stairs if it starts costing people money. It's not a country it's a business. It's not like the Soviet days where the leader had a big apparatus around him, KGB and all the rest of it. It's a few rich cunts and a richer cunt. 

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I dunno, I expect Putin to have a fall down the stairs if it starts costing people money. It's not a country it's a business. It's not like the Soviet days where the leader had a big apparatus around him, KGB and all the rest of it. It's a few rich cunts and a richer cunt. 

You should see the video where Putin orders billionaires around as if they were children in detention. He isn't falling down anything. One of the few scary people left. Proper 80s villain. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

Russia invades Ukraine, NATO responds by attacking Russia, conventional warfare to start with, but eventually whoever is losing reaches for the button, ergo armageddon!

NATO has no intention of responding. Why would it?

Just now, M_B said:

NATO has no intention of responding. Why would it?

You really think they're going to sit back, watch Putins troops march into Kiev, then whichever Baltic state he fancies next, and not respond? You're a better man than me.

Even leaving NATO aside, do you think Biden is going to sit on his hands, aided and abetted by that shambles in Downing Street?

Interesting comment the other day about how these types of regimes always go to shit, Stalin, Hitler, Putin, to an extent, Trump and Johnson, in that they're all about domination to the extent that they exclude (some more forcibly than others) the opinions of others, be they generals, doctors, civil servants, whoever. 

They create their own bunker, mentally and physically, they cut down other strong people (the people who might actually be of use) and end up with lackeys who just learn to interpret what they want and give it to them, telling them they're always right.

Watched another thing a while back where they talked about what it does to your personality when you're an autocrat, they essentially start to think of themselves as insurmountable, and the only things which can stop them are germs and god, which is why they tend to become (outwardly at least) religious and germaphobes. 

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

You really think they're going to sit back, watch Putins troops march into Kiev

Economic sanctions aside, yes. That is exactly what will happen.

Although I'm not convinced this is going to be a full on invasion yet. He might just stop at the Donbass like he did with Crimea.

5 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Even leaving NATO aside, do you think Biden is going to sit on his hands, aided and abetted by that shambles in Downing Street?

And yes. Biden knows that Americans aren't willing to die for Ukraine. Sanctions is as far as it will go.

And Biden doesn't give a fuck about Boris. Nobody does.

Same thing happened with Georgia, the leader was sat there with Nato flag over one shoulder and an EU one over the other, Putin marched in and flattened a few bases and broke the President's pens, I think George Dubya sent a ship with a few  bog rolls or something. 

There was a great documentary about Putin a while back. It painted him as a man cornered by his own ruthlessness. He's squirrelled billions away, but he can't just retire into the sunset as he's made so many enemies that he essentially has to stay in power or he's dead. It's why he would routinely turn against some oligarch he helped made rich, as he'd get jumpy that they were plotting against him.

54 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I think Putin has learned from China a bit about the benefits of globalisation.

The West pushed one of the benefits of globalisation as all the linked economies bringing countries together so that war would become less likely as we're all relying on each other (in reality most of it was about lower manufacturing costs and/or easier market access).

Whereas China (and now Russia) are like, we can do what the fuck we like and they won't dare lift a finger as we supply most of their manufacturing/energy.