You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

5 hours ago, SasaS said:

Dunno. But Russians did apparently hit the factory where Neptunes are made last night.

Personally, naval battles don't do it for me. More of a sieges, urban combat and antitank weapons me.

This is the clincher that it was a Ukrainian attack, for me.

You don't bomb the factory that makes Neptune anti-ship missiles in retaliation for ... er, accidentally igniting your own magazine?

• Upvote 1

Also, in case anyone here has friends in the Russian MOD, I'm not entirely convinced that their defense makes that much sense.

"So I hear the Ukrainians managed to get a few hits on your cruiser with anti-ship missiles."

"Oh, no, that's preposterous. What actually happened was that we accidentally set fire to the ammunition on our 3 billion dollar warship!"

good-place-s1-ep01-chidi-okay-but-thats-

18 hours ago, SasaS said:

Dunno. But Russians did apparently hit the factory where Neptunes are made last night.

Personally, naval battles don't do it for me. More of a sieges, urban combat and antitank weapons me.

I'm not a general or a spy but if I was either of those I may have chose that factory instead of targeting apartment blocks.

I don't think Russia is very good at this war shit.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

I'm not a general or a spy but if I was either of those I may have chose that factory instead of targeting apartment blocks.

I don't think Russia is very good at this war shit.

I don't think you understand Russia's goals.

You're right that they're not doing very well in the war overall, but the reason they chose apartment blocks is that they want to cripple Ukraine in the long-term. Hitting an industrial factory that makes weapons might help you win a war, but hitting an apartment complex means that you kill dozens of people and immediately make hundreds of people homeless.

In essence, the Russian war goal is not only military victory, but to cripple the Ukrainian economy and morale for a generation. How long will it take to rebuild from the rubble? And will the West have the patience and sacrifice required, knowing that everything they rebuild could be destroyed in the next attack? History shows that destruction is much easier and cheaper than rebuilding - Russia is betting that they can destroy enough that the Ukrainians who don't just flee to Poland/Germany/wherever will be so busy rebuilding that they won't have enough left over to stand up to the next wave of attacks, whether that be in a year, five years, or whenever.

I think they're probably wrong, because they underestimated the national unity that would come about from being attacked (and, importantly, from putting up a significant defense). But just because they're wrong doesn't mean there's no logic to it at all.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

I don't think you understand Russia's goals.

You're right that they're not doing very well in the war overall, but the reason they chose apartment blocks is that they want to cripple Ukraine in the long-term. Hitting an industrial factory that makes weapons might help you win a war, but hitting an apartment complex means that you kill dozens of people and immediately make hundreds of people homeless.

In essence, the Russian war goal is not only military victory, but to cripple the Ukrainian economy and morale for a generation. How long will it take to rebuild from the rubble? And will the West have the patience and sacrifice required, knowing that everything they rebuild could be destroyed in the next attack? History shows that destruction is much easier and cheaper than rebuilding - Russia is betting that they can destroy enough that the Ukrainians who don't just flee to Poland/Germany/wherever will be so busy rebuilding that they won't have enough left over to stand up to the next wave of attacks, whether that be in a year, five years, or whenever.

I think they're probably wrong, because they underestimated the national unity that would come about from being attacked (and, importantly, from putting up a significant defense). But just because they're wrong doesn't mean there's no logic to it at all.

It was more tongue in cheek rather than an in depth war analysis mate. 

Just now, Ne Moe Imya said:

Fair enough, and I apologise if I came across as lecturing you. I re-read my post and I can see that it comes across that way and that wasn't what I was intending.

No sweat mate. The written word doesn't always come across as intended.

When I read the news of the factory strike this morning it just came across as a "why didn't we do that earlier? Could've saved 10 million"

Anyway, let's enjoy the win.

So if you surrender in a certain window, Russia is prepared to offer you guarantees you will be taken alive. Isn't this what they are supposed to guarantee to all POWs? POWs they interrogate like the Gestapo, what have you been doing in the army of your country which we have invaded and why?

And they truly feel like they have a moral high ground here. What a country.