You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

15 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

It seems to me like people are happy for Amnesty International to do their job until of course they criticise people they don't want to see criticised then it's a case of pointing the finger at Amnesty International not the facts of the actual report. 

Well, it doesn't 'seem' that way - That's exactly how it is. 

I can only speak for myself, I only read a couple of articles with examples from the report and commented on one of them as well as a general tone and orientation of the report.

Endangering civilians by where you locate your military installations away from the frontline has so far been relatively low on the scale of human rights infringements in a defensive all-out wars, so the fact Amnesty hired an outside agency to do research and kept their local organization out of the loop is bound to raise a few eyebrows.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

I can only speak for myself, I only read a couple of articles with examples from the report and commented on one of them as well as a general tone and orientation of the report.

Endangering civilians by where you locate your military installations away from the frontline has so far been relatively low on the scale of human rights infringements in a defensive all-out wars, so the fact Amnesty hired an outside agency to do research and kept their local organization out of the loop is bound to raise a few eyebrows.

Good god it doesn't matter how low or the list of endangerment it is. Ukrainian civilians were put in danger and so it deserved to be flagged, its their job.

Isn't the protection of innocent Ukrainians what this is all about? Or is it for investors in the arms and oil industry to make a lot of money? And a lot of people are indeed making a lot of money.

Here's the Washington Post on the same subject, 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/28/ukraine-kyiv-russia-civilians/?s=09

The criticism of Amnesty has been telling.  In this godforsaken world of human rights abuse this organisation are a beacon, a real cause for good, they risk their own lives providing us information on conflicts throughout the world. They deserve our support.

Amnesty have reported Russian human rights abuses in Ukraine extensively. Are they only allowed to report from one side?

Did anyone complain about Amnesty then?

23 minutes ago, Strontium said:

No. The liberty of Ukraine is. What good is life without liberty.

Well no need to deny it then. We can factor it in and make an informed decision the next time Zelensky and Co stand in a bombed out residential area and ask for billions more in western aid.

Seems a million years ago when the more cautious were shouted down for suggesting economic sanctions could be self defeating.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/russia-sanctions-ukraine-uk-energy-impact-b2020819.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/russia-sanctions-ukraine-uk-energy-impact-b2020819.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60509453

The warmongers knew best.

3 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Seems a million years ago when the more cautious were shouted down for suggesting economic sanctions could be self defeating.

The warmongers knew best.

Yep Russia knew that a lot Europe was dependent on them for gas, and that capitalism meant big energy price hikes even for those not on Russian gas.

So figured they could do what they liked.

Long term planning and a pretty simple plan at that.

China has been planning for longer and has totally entwined most of the world. Whilst not giving a shit about market pricing.

They’ll be able to do anything without consequence if they decide to do some invading.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Yep Russia knew that a lot Europe was dependent on them for gas, and that capitalism meant big energy price hikes even for those not on Russian gas.

So figured they could do what they liked.

Long term planning and a pretty simple plan at that.

China has been planning for longer and has totally entwined most of the world. Whilst not giving a shit about market pricing.

They’ll be able to do anything without consequence if they decide to do some invading.

Yep. Putin knew economic sanctions would end up crippling us and that's what's about to happen. 

We could have focused on individual, military and diplomatic sanctions and resisted going full on down the rabbit hole. Now we're up shit creek.

When someone as far to the right such as Henry Kissinger said the west were being reckless and foolish you knew our leaders were losing their common sense. 

On 01/07/2022 at 19:05, Mudface said:

Fuck's sake, just give Putin all the territory he wants so we can get 50 pence or so off fuel prices. Having a Fascist World Order as a result will be a small price to pay if I can shave 10p a day off my morning commute, plus it'll show those fuckin' libs.

Errr OK.

49 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yep. Putin knew economic sanctions would end up crippling us and that's what's about to happen. 

We could have focused on individual, military and diplomatic sanctions and resisted going full on down the rabbit hole. Now we're up shit creek.

When someone as far to the right such as Henry Kissinger said the west were being reckless and foolish you knew our leaders were losing their common sense. 

My gas is the same price it was before the war started - as is my electric.

Not sure who us is in your mind, but it isn't us.

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Not sure you understand that Dallas is in Texas - Texas has nothing to do with the US.

As I said - you are in for a shitstorm of unfathomable proportions due to the triumvirate of Brexit, Covid and the war. 

Spend some time googling how to grow your own food and brush up on your DIY solar power skills pal, not stuff about the US economy.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not sure you understand that Dallas is in Texas - Texas has nothing to do with the US.

As I said - you are in for a shitstorm of unfathomable proportions due to the triumvirate of Brexit, Covid and the war. 

Spend some time googling how to grow your own food and brush up on your DIY solar power skills pal, not stuff about the US economy.

Will do, meanwhile hope you stay unaffected.

https://news.am/eng/news/707474.html

13 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Do you have two sticks? 

Can you start a fire?

The DOW is up over 500 today - over what it was in the week after the war started.

Keep posting.

I've got my two sticks at the ready. I'll send them over to you after use,

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jul/28/us-economy-gdp-second-quarter

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I've got my two sticks at the ready. I'll send them over to you after use,

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/jul/28/us-economy-gdp-second-quarter

You won't be able to a s the Postal Service is going broke.

Don't worry about us, we get sunlight here and I have a magnifying glass. 

Keep the sticks, you can boil them after you start the fire for soup.