You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Ukrainians claim Russia has lost approaching 30k troops now, believable I'd say and astonishing.

The idea that the casualties are only four or five thousand is ridiculous. It might not be 30k but I would believe it closer to 30 than 5.

I see there are now several Ukrainian military and security advisors saying they believe they will win the war and that they will take back crimea also. If that is their belief, then the Ukrainian military and leadership won’t take any kind of deal unless it involves getting all of their territories back and Russia will not take that. This looks more and more like this will be decided on the battlefield only and not by any deals being made. 

36 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The idea that the casualties are only four or five thousand is ridiculous. It might not be 30k but I would believe it closer to 30 than 5.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Ukrainians claim Russia has lost approaching 30k troops now, believable I'd say and astonishing.

Based on what? What do we know about Russia's losses?

Also. Are Ukrainians actually saying close to 30k killed, or killed, wounded, and captured.

Close to 30k killed would mean over 90k killed, wounded, taken prisoner, plus thousands that are rotated plus thousands that are breaking or trying to break their contracts. Who is doing all the fighting then? They are still either advancing or having the initiative on almost all fronts. After losing about half of their total manpower in less than 3 months? That would be quite an impressive combat morale.

Tom Copper updated, again, on the fucking bridgeheads that seem worse than Mike Myers in Halloween.

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x/ukraine-war-14-may-2022-e34028a502db

There is also a fight between Defensionem military website and Angry Planet FB military tactics group over the bridgehead interpretation. It's all kicking off, on the ground, among the military nerds, OSINT are also arguing over this. Maybe that was what Russians intended all along, a hybrid war?

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Based on what? What do we know about Russia's losses?

Also. Are Ukrainians actually saying close to 30k killed, or killed, wounded, and captured.

Close to 30k killed would mean over 90k killed, wounded, taken prisoner, plus thousands that are rotated plus thousands that are breaking or trying to break their contracts. Who is doing all the fighting then? They are still either advancing or having the initiative on almost all fronts. After losing about half of their total manpower in less than 3 months? That would be quite an impressive combat morale.

I'd say it's believable due to the fact they appear to have retreated on most fronts, given up on Kiev and Kharkiv, haven't achieved any military objectives at all and appear to be drafting in mercenaries and troops from Chechnya and Syria.

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'd say it's believable due to the fact they appear to have retreated on most fronts, given up on Kiev and Kharkiv, haven't achieved any military objectives at all and appear to be drafting in mercenaries and troops from Chechnya and Syria.

That close to 30k Russian soldiers have been killed, or total casualties?

And they have not retreated on most fronts, they are the opponent with more firepower and almost all the initiative still.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

Easterly NATO expansion in response to Russian aggression. Well, well, well, how the turntables. 

I guess no one ever told him Aesop's fable about the north wind and the sun.

Given it's resources, Russia was in position to develop into a modern country, with mutually beneficial relationships with it's neighbours, economic, cultural, political, etc.

Instead they got this fucking idiot.

• Like 1

Tom Cooper updated.

Not much info from the ground for regulars and Tom gets rather technical in this one. Nice description pf how Ukrainian armour fights, from a perspective of a disappointed Russian tankie (the real one). I'll just say, they are parking the bus and killing the beautiful game. 

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x/ukraine-war-14-and-15-may-2022-9e9a89f694be

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

No but rumours of a prisoner swap on twitter, obviously unconfirmed.

I've seen that, but they are not POWs. Are Russians allowing them all to leave, in exchange for their POWs? That sounds too good to be true. Why are the wounded being taken to the Separatist held hospital?

6 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I've seen that, but they are not POWs. Are Russians allowing them all to leave, in exchange for their POWs? That sounds too good to be true. Why are the wounded being taken to the Separatist held hospital?

Yes, I heard the Russians are letting them leave in return for their POVs.. not sure how much truth or what the details involve. Maybe Russia are desperate for their men to go back to the front line?