You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

12 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Oh dear, your self proclaimed big brain now has to resort to mimicking the Tory twat. 

12 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Link to self-proclamation please. 

So you’re just ignoring this are you? No honour, no integrity, just a liar and Twitter rehashing bot. You offer less than a news aggregator. 

2 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

Finland and Sweden will announce Sunday whether or not they will apply to join NATO.

Putin really is one stupid mother-fucker.

Yeah, I suspect the eastward expansion of NATO wasn’t the outcome he wanted when being forced into attacking a non-NATO country by NATO’s eastward expansion. It’s almost as if he just wanted to take parts of Ukraine. Again. 

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So you’re just ignoring this are you? No honour, no integrity, just a liar and Twitter rehashing bot. You offer less than a news aggregator. 

Fucking hell Numero you're getting all pissy with me over that?  No I won't answer your question, so sorry tough titty.  Ironic you asked as I get shit thrown at me by the bucket load, fully deserved as well. Why only the other day you randomly made up a load of bollocks about me linking and parroting a left wing grifter off twitter, it was of course nonsense but that didnt stop you. Of course your milkshake brought all your bro's to the yard, i was called a right cunt by one acolyte, all jolly japes eh? I post hundreds of links Numero,some good,some not so good but rarely the likes of Owen Jones and that ilk, dosn't float my boat but if you want to find some correlation between me and this Swinton women you were yapping on about, crack on kiddo.

As for the links and writers, the last was a report on Gove's levelling up policy on the government thread and a link to a Jonathan Cook article on the Israel thread, both are imo interesting articles, they are hardly Rachael fucking Swinton. Anyway the links are not compulsory and this site posses an ignore button if i/they boil your piss to that extent. 

You may notice a distinct lack of insults in this post so I'm not going to get into a tit for tat with you and your messily stupendous debating skills, I'm off to watch the horse racing so do not want to be sick down my shirt. Have yourself a good day Numero.

Oh and don't you ever mention honour and integrity to me,

Numero, ever, do you understand? libellous that is. I've never so much as possessed an ounce of either in my entire fucking life. 

36 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Fucking hell Numero you're getting all pissy with me over that?  No I won't answer your question, so sorry tough titty.

I'm not surprised, because you can't. You claimed I said something I clearly didn't, you totally made it up and lied, and you can't back it up. I'm not pissy, I just don't respect that sort of shit. That's why I asked you several times. 

Why only the other day you randomly made up a load of bollocks about me linking and parroting a left wing grifter off twitter, it was of course nonsense but that didnt stop you.

Except that's not what happened, is it. What happened was I specifically named you as somebody who did not do that, saying 'At least some, like Gnasher, don’t even put that much effort and just post the tweet in place of their own opinion'.  Stop making things up. 

Of course your milkshake brought all your bro's to the yard, i was called a right cunt by one acolyte

This isn't the post of somebody thinking clearly. You are a right cunt - most of us on here can be at one time or another - but I don't have acolytes and I don't know who you're referring to. 

if you want to find some correlation between me and this Swinton women you were yapping on about, crack on kiddo

I don't want to find correlation between you and Swindon. There is no correlation; she's a grifter who posts stirs lies and bullshit for money. The issue I have with you is that you aren't actually posting your view, you're simply reposting tweets, blogs/comments, and articles in place of your own view. Believe it or not, I much prefer talking to the person not having some link to a twitter wanker's view that I then have to read and gauge whether you agree with it or not. It's not a natural way to communicate. Surely this is a fair thing to say. If I wanted the views of whichever twitter person you linked to, I'd follow the fuckers myself. I want your view on things because we are the ones talking in the same space, not them. I'm not saying don't link things, I'm saying give your view on things. Otherwise you're deep into ManeMan territory, and you never want to be there. 

A regular update from Tom Copper whose sarcasm over the fog of war is, just like the Russians trying to force Severi Donetsk river,  back in full force. There is even a full supplement on it.

On the ground, situation is fairly serious, Russian army seems to be in the final all-or-nothing push in the East, judging by the losses it is willing to take.

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x/ukraine-war-10-11-12-may-2022-cfd65b518a4d

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x/supplement-the-press-and-putins-turbo-military-operation-e9cc0f35156e

On 11/05/2022 at 00:03, polymerpunkah said:

Putin really is a stupid fucking cunt.

Killing thousands, displacing millions, destroying half a country and setting his own country back decades.

For nothing. 

I reckon he's got some form of Lymphoma, with adrenal complications. The bloating can be a sign of heavy steroid use (he would probably demand more than the recommended regimen so he could be more active), as can be aggression and labile mood. Might explain the long-winded rants and then the subdued/ fatigued state. Parkinson's has also been suggested, which also effects rationality, as well as the hand tremours.

I think the Russians will be done when they take the Donbas, which looks inevitable at this point. If they take that then they can stage elections to have it cede to Russia and then Putin can say his special operation is over.

33 minutes ago, M_B said:

I think the Russians will be done when they take the Donbas, which looks inevitable at this point. If they take that then they can stage elections to have it cede to Russia and then Putin can say his special operation is over.

And Ukrainian army just goes home?

I dont know shit about the war except its clearly wrong, Putin is a psychopath former KGB gangster who has rinsed his country dry and ran it with fear and murder... Ukraine fuck knows. I find it interesting though in US politics the likes of Mitch McConnell really trying to push through a 44 billion pound aid deal for the Ukraine, this is a man with zero human empathy and if it was a 44 billion pound health package for American people he would be trying to stop such a thing. If you could do to humanity what you do when you slice the mould off the top of the cheese I think I'd remove those who personally profit from war first, especially politicians with financial interests in companies that deal in arms.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I dont know shit about the war except its clearly wrong, Putin is a psychopath former KGB gangster who has rinsed his country dry and ran it with fear and murder... Ukraine fuck knows. I find it interesting though in US politics the likes of Mitch McConnell really trying to push through a 44 billion pound aid deal for the Ukraine, this is a man with zero human empathy and if it was a 44 billion pound health package for American people he would be trying to stop such a thing. If you could do to humanity what you do when you slice the mould off the top of the cheese I think I'd remove those who personally profit from war first, especially politicians with financial interests in companies that deal in arms.

Excellent points. 

BBC Russia counted 2,336  confirmed Russian servicemen killed in Ukraine so far, based on full information name, rank, unit - collected from media and social media releases. 

Nearly 20% of all confirmed military casualties are officers. This proportion has remained unchanged for the past three months. Experts say that Russian officers may have to risk more on the frontline because of persistent problems with communications.

Over 25% of all losses are paratroopers and marines. These units are often used in reconnaissance and storming operations. However they often don’t get enough operational support and evacuation opportunities for the wounded.

Most of the casualties, confirmed by us, came from the least developed and economically deprived regions of Russia. There are only three confirmed deaths of servicemen from Moscow, even though the capital makes up almost 9% of the Russian population.

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

BBC Russia counted 2,336  confirmed Russian servicemen killed in Ukraine so far, based on full information name, rank, unit - collected from media and social media releases. 

Nearly 20% of all confirmed military casualties are officers. This proportion has remained unchanged for the past three months. Experts say that Russian officers may have to risk more on the frontline because of persistent problems with communications.

Over 25% of all losses are paratroopers and marines. These units are often used in reconnaissance and storming operations. However they often don’t get enough operational support and evacuation opportunities for the wounded.

Most of the casualties, confirmed by us, came from the least developed and economically deprived regions of Russia. There are only three confirmed deaths of servicemen from Moscow, even though the capital makes up almost 9% of the Russian population.

I get this is ‘confirmed’ killed but that number seems very low? We’ll prob never find out the actual number on either side. 

9 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

I get this is ‘confirmed’ killed but that number seems very low? We’ll prob never find out the actual number on either side. 

I think it’s what the Russians have admitted to. By definition a complete load of bollocks.  

15 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

When they started counting, as far as I recall, they had about the same number after a couple of weeks as Russia publicly announced after first six days, they were at about 1800 a couple of weeks ago. I think the total is not seven or eight times higher as the western analysts estimate (I never know, based on what exactly) and the number UKR is releasing are based on probably highly inflated figures from the field commanders reports.

I would say the actual total would be maybe 3 times what the BBC have, when you include MIA (Ukraine said about a month ago they had 2,000 waiting for the Russians to claim . which was probably also inflated) and people who would not be mentioned on social media or they have missed, possibly those that are still being processed by Russian authorities, Separatist forces, Wagner, I don't know if they count Rosguardia etc.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, M_B said:

I think this is probably what Russia is hoping for at this point. That's why they're throwing entire BTGs of equipment at river crossings that are, in the big picture, not hugely significant and certainly not worth the cost.

But if you are trying to look at this like Putin (who doesn't value the lives of his soldiers at all), then you would pay almost any military price to be able to encircle Severodonetsk and then push the line back to the official borders of the Luhansk and Donetsk Oblasts. Then politically you can say "well, we did it, we liberated the Donbas" and though everyone knows it's made up, you can at least sort of claim victory and try to go home.

The problem is twofold:

1) the Russian propaganda machine has been steadily increasing in its stridency and call for the death/deportation/imprisonment of pretty much any Ukrainian who doesn't accept Russian rule, and

2) the Ukrainian forces are certainly not going to just accept that result.

The first one is possible to overcome, not least because Putin totally controls that propaganda machine, so if he tells them to announce that he's the victor and got everything he wants, they'll have no choice but to instantly change their tune and say what he wants them to. People will get psychological whiplash, but they've done it before and will do it again.

The second is a much bigger problem. The long-term economic prospects for Russia are absolutely terrifying to the regime, and the military outlook can't be much better. It's so, so short-term thinking, throwing 100 tanks/APCs away to get one river crossing. Crazy. They simply don't have the military forces to be wasting them for political ends instead of military ones. With Ukraine's military becoming better- and better-equipped as time goes on, with NATO training and equipment, and Russia's facing the opposite, the decision to push for the Donetsk/Luhansk Oblast borders is going to look pretty foolish in 6 months.

• Upvote 2

One thing that's come out of this is how toothless the UN is in actuality. Specifically the UN security Council. With Russia's veto they can't  propose any meaningful mechanism to do what they were set up to do, in Ukraine. Hence we're left with the real prospect of the war going into an attritional phase with both sides dug in and scrapping like it's 1916.

The obvious answer is to expel Russia from the UNSC but that's fairyland thinking (though they have been replaced on the UN Human rights Council by Czechia - so that's a start I guess). 

Been watching the 1420 vlogs on YT - some lad interviewing 'the people on the streets' of Moscow about their thoughts on the war. In amongst the kool-aid drinkers who just toe the line  there's some brave fuckers giving it their all against the war. The comments from Russian YT users is telling though: The prospects for the next generations of Russians are not looking good at all. Getting their futures destroyed by their state and the generation above them for some redundant irredentist ideology. Sad.

I'd just like to add that, from the tactical point, it is not all that crazy going all out for the bridgeheads around Bilohorivka and taking a lot of losses, if (when) they succeed, they can push on and split Severdonetsk, which is a capital of the Luhanks oblast (the other half of Donbas) and that town behind it, Lysychanks.

There are now a few relatively easily observable things from the battlefields, Russians have so far struggled everywhere where there are fortifications, organized defences or bigger urban areas, which points to the fact they lack good/motivated infantry (hence the increased presence of Wagner and Chechens). They are also trying to be less predictable and more flexible in their maneuvering, so they now tend to change immediate objectives more frequently.

Now, why it's not crazy. They are hoping that by crossing the river they can fully encircle Severodonetsk and force UKR forces to panic and/or withdraw without another costly prolonged urban battle like Popasna and Rubizhne in the vicinity, then eliminate that part of the salient and move to other targets much more easily. The thinking must be, they would lose many more forces in direct assault on those two towns anyway, so they are trying to outmaneuver the UKR. They have already surprised them a few times, like west of Izyum and we will probably see more of this.

And this ends my Tom impersonation.