You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Tom Cooper's update.

Featuring versions of what happened to Moskva and complaints about the levels of Ukrainian operational silence. Claims up to 500 marines made it out of the Azovmash plant.

https://medium.com/@x_TomCooper_x/ukraine-war-12-13-april-2022-20e81e0b03a8

Thanks, I enjoy his updates and I'd guess most of what he reports is pretty much on the button.

5 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Or more accurately the one we were fed the lie of Ukrainan hero's telling the Russians "fuck you", refusing to surrender and then being murdered.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60522454

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-soldiers-snake-island-russia-warship-b2023039.html

I dont think we were 'fed the lie' over that incident. Id say being told to surrender or else we'll pound the fuck out of you with our ship's gun, telling the aggressor to 'fuck off' the ship opening fire then nothing being heard from the defending soldiers, them being killed was a likely scenario.

It's not like the Russians countered with any news 'you know those soldiers you said we murdered? Well here they are' until a couple of weeks later.

This is a fucking combat zone. News doesnt always travel well but that doesnt mean reports are lies.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont think we were 'fed the lie' over that incident. Id say being told to surrender or else we'll pound the fuck out of you with our ship's gun, telling the aggressor to 'fuck off' the ship opening fire then nothing being heard from the defending soldiers, them being killed was a likely scenario.

It's not like the Russians countered with any news 'you know those soldiers you said we murdered? Well here they are' until a couple of weeks later.

This is a fucking combat zone. News doesnt always travel well but that doesnt mean reports are lies.

Read the bbc report, same as all the reports, it was a lie. We were told the men refused to surrender and were murdered.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60522454

The above is a problem that festers when you take everything you are told at face value, remember the Ukrainian pilot shooting numerous Russians out of the sky? Remember all the jokey  nonsense of farmers driving tanks around Ukrainian villages?  When unfortunately for the Ukrainian people the reality was a little less jolly and a lot more gruesome.

21 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Read the bbc report, same as all the reports, it was a lie. We were told the men refused to surrender and were murdered.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60522454

The above is a problem that festers when you take everything you are told at face value, remember the Ukrainian pilot shooting numerous Russians out of the sky? Remember all the jokey  nonsense of farmers driving tanks around Ukrainian villages?  When unfortunately for the Ukrainian people the reality was a little less jolly and a lot more gruesome.

I have to disagree. It wasnt a lie. Jokey nonesense about farmers driving tanks around? No, I saw pictures of tractors pulling abandoned APCs and tanks away. What you say happened is the 'lie' here.

Oh and by the way, the Russian ship involved in the Snake Island stand off was none other than the cruiser Moscow which is armed to the teeth. Strange that.

21 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I have to disagree. It wasnt a lie. Jokey nonesense about farmers driving tanks around? No, I saw pictures of tractors pulling abandoned APCs and tanks away. What you say happened is the 'lie' here.

Oh and by the way, the Russian ship involved in the Snake Island stand off was none other than the cruiser Moscow which is armed to the teeth. Strange that.

OK we'll have to disagree, I'm skeptical in times of war of the information provided.

https://www.euronews.com/2022/03/25/snake-island-sailors-freed-in-ukraine-war-prisoner-exchange-says-kyiv

As for the farmer/tank thing I was alluding more towards the general narrative being portrayed rather the actual events.

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

OK we'll have to disagree, I'm skeptical in times of war of the information provided.

https://www.euronews.com/2022/03/25/snake-island-sailors-freed-in-ukraine-war-prisoner-exchange-says-kyiv

As for the farmer/tank thing I was alluding more towards the general narrative being portrayed rather the actual events.

Fair enough bud. Im not saying all reports out of war zones arent embellished to a greater or lesser degree.

46 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

RP will be along in a minute to say the ship successfully intercepted two Ukrainian missiles.  

Ok you've finally pushed me to answer this with your baiting :

16 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Any of you any military experience?  

I'll have you know that I spent a weekend at Driffield barracks with the cadets as a teenager so my talk on military matters should be listened to. The memory that sticks to mind most is an old friend (higher ranked) shaking one end of my bed up and down at around 5-6 am screaming "get out of that fucking pit." Things like that aren't forgetten so easily.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Fair enough bud. Im not saying all reports out of war zones arent embellished to a greater or lesser degree.

This also brings to mind another important point : years after leaving the cadets I spent many hours on Warzone 2100 on the PS1, dealing with high tech military equipment and I took part in several long battles. I can't remember whether or not I finished it but it's the experience that counts.

12 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Are the reports that the Russian cruiser, Moscow, has sunk as claimed by Ukraine, correct?

Until we see pictures of the ship under tow to a naval base, we wont know. However, it seems this vessel, armed to the teeth that she was, will be out of action for some time.

You won’t know if it’s sunk until it’s towed into a naval base? 

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's just so, so sad that nukes exist. Can you imagine the West Vs this absolute shower of shit in a conventional war? 

Match of the Day followed by CNN, popcorn and copious amounts of Cherry Pepsi Max.

Could do with Superman right now 

p3uwoyobxlc8gafni1ma.gif

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's just so, so sad that nukes exist. Can you imagine the West Vs this absolute shower of shit in a conventional war? 

Match of the Day followed by CNN, popcorn and copious amounts of Cherry Pepsi Max.

If the county's people are willing to resist things can become very sticky very quickly, look at the circus that engulfed American, British soldiers because of a load of farmers in our pullout of Afghanistan. You're right the west would batter Russia on neutral ground, an invasion might prove troublesome though.