You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, SasaS said:

Mariupol looks to be turning into a completely unnecessary major defeat for UKR army, instead of being a symbol of heroic defense the nation would rally around for months.

And all most likely due to a difficult to comprehend poor planning. Also communication with the outside world, a complete disaster. After watching the situation closely for seven weeks, I am not even sure defence has a joint command of the city.

I really don't get it. What did UKR military planners expect would happen there?

Bit simplistic that, isnt it? In any war, there's going to be major defeats and victories. I dont know if it is the case but did they see the need to hold on to Kyiv as being the symbolic heroism you mention?

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Bit simplistic that, isnt it? In any war, there's going to be major defeats and victories. I dont know if it is the case but did they see the need to hold on to Kyiv as being the symbolic heroism you mention?

They dropped the ball seriously here. It was a partly irrational move by the Russians which they failed to capitalize on. Did almost everything wrong. Now they are facing their most serious defeat so dar and possible tragedy of mass executions of their soldiers. They will lose the town, the troops and if as it seems, they weren't able to use the time it gave them, it will all be for nothing.

3 hours ago, SasaS said:

They dropped the ball seriously here. It was a partly irrational move by the Russians which they failed to capitalize on. Did almost everything wrong. Now they are facing their most serious defeat so dar and possible tragedy of mass executions of their soldiers. They will lose the town, the troops and if as it seems, they weren't able to use the time it gave them, it will all be for nothing.

Maybe they did, maybe their forces were stretched or maybe with the Russia forced able to re inforce in the east quicker than any other part of the country, they were overrun despite the valiant effort?

It wouldnt be the only war that mistakes have been made in.

56 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Any of you any military experience?  

Some. Low level though.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Maybe they did, maybe their forces were stretched or maybe with the Russia forced able to re inforce in the east quicker than any other part of the country, they were overrun despite the valiant effort?

It wouldnt be the only war that mistakes have been made in.

Something was off there from the beginning. I've been following it closely as much as I could, on a daily basis. Don't want to go into details again. Just hope they can survive in what is left of the industrial zone now.

Reports coming out now that Ukraine has sunk the Russian Black Sea flagship, the missile cruiser "Moskva."

You wouldn't want to be the guy who has to tell Putin that a nation without a real navy has somehow managed to sink a ship that analysts say would take 10 years and $3-4 billion to replace, would you?

Bonus note: this is the famous warship from the Snake Island event earlier in the war, the one that Ukrainians told to "go fuck yourself."

37 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Reports coming out now that Ukraine has sunk the Russian Black Sea flagship, the missile cruiser "Moskva."

You wouldn't want to be the guy who has to tell Putin that a nation without a real navy has somehow managed to sink a ship that analysts say would take 10 years and $3-4 billion to replace, would you?

Bonus note: this is the famous warship from the Snake Island event earlier in the war, the one that Ukrainians told to "go fuck yourself."

Or more accurately the one we were fed the lie of Ukrainan hero's telling the Russians "fuck you", refusing to surrender and then being murdered.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60522454

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-soldiers-snake-island-russia-warship-b2023039.html

On 12/04/2022 at 14:08, TheHowieLama said:

RP casually skimming through threads from years ago.

RP casually scrolling through Guardian's live updates and sees Biletsky quoted, shortly after realises that he also has one of the most memorable quotes ever attributed to an Avoz member and types "Biletsky" into the forum search to find it.

8 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Any of you any military experience?  

I have a total playtime of of over 28 days on Battlefield 1 alone, mostly concentrating my efforts in the Meuse-Argonne, Verdun and Amiens areas. Although I've less experience there I have also spent a lot of time fighting in the Volga River/Tsaritsyn area, the Lupkow Pass and Galicia.

Factor in the time fighting around Chernobyl and in Pripyat on Call of Duty and I think you will find I am eminently qualified to speak with authority on any military matters.

Oh yeah, and I also killed 16 Czechoslovakians single handed when I was working as an interior decorator. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Red Shift before he was forced to step down following that misunderstanding that involved the loofah, the marigolds and the cabin boy.

f92.jpg

Is it just me or did the entire formation vanish with the TK's latest flounce?