You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

The man doesn't give up. But early leaks from that FSB whistleblower claimed he declined the offer to be Russia's main Quisling. The fact he was on the run is confusing, why didn't he just go over to the Russian side? Or is the money accusation true, that he took the money but failed to deliver?

Everything is always cloack and dagger in Ukrainian politics.

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Can’t you shoot spies in the incorrect uniform?  

I seem to remember that from WW2 dramas when I was a kid- if you were on enemy soil, then anything other than your own forces' uniform would see you shot. Not sure if it still applies, or to him as he's Ukrainian.

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The man doesn't give up. But early leaks from that FSB whistleblower claimed he declined the offer to be Russia's main Quisling. The fact he was on the run is confusing, why didn't he just go over to the Russian side? Or is the money accusation true, that he took the money but failed to deliver?

Everything is always cloack and dagger in Ukrainian politics.

I think shooting him now and asking questions later is the best option. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

I seem to remember that from WW2 dramas when I was a kid- if you were on enemy soil, then anything other than your own forces' uniform would see you shot. Not sure if it still applies, or to him as he's Ukrainian.

Really?

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

RP casually skimming through threads from years ago.

In fairness, it’s highly unlikely a guy like Biletsky is going to have changed his views, and you do t want him solidifying a position in the future Ukrainian government.

Hard day in Mariupol. More marines surrender, some managed to connect with Azov they are saying.

Still don't really understand the way UKR organized the defense of the city, don't get the tactics, allowing them to cut you up in pockets insted of withdrawing. Army seems to be drowning in anti-tank weapons, yet, we barely saw any in action in the urban areas of Mariupol.

Were they constantly being betrayed, is everybody there really for the Russians?

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

43 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Really?

Is correct. It wasnt a hard and fast rule by the Allies but, if the Nazi's captured any Allied soldiers in civilian clothes in their territory, they could be summarily executed.

Bear in mind, there was the possibility they'd be similarly shot if they surrendered in uniform as well even if that was against the Geneva Convention.

15 minutes ago, cochyn said:

Not sure of the veracity of this article, but it reads well as a precise of the problems the RFA have and will continue to have if this drags on;

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htwin/20220411.aspx

The danger if that report is true is that an ever desparate and demented Putin resorts to ever more lethal weapons and tactics.

I dont see any of Putin's henchmen taking him out. The mothers of these soldiers may force a withdrawal and change like they did with the Russian forces in Afghanistan but that's a long shot, I think.

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

The danger if that report is true is that an ever desparate and demented Putin resorts to ever more lethal weapons and tactics.

I dont see any of Putin's henchmen taking him out. The mothers of these soldiers may force a withdrawal and change like they did with the Russian forces in Afghanistan but that's a long shot, I think.

It's looking like a bullet in the back of Putins head is the only way this way ends. The amount of atrocities committed will make a peace deal on Russian terms very difficult to stomach for the Ukrainian people, although the people in the eastern side of the country are between a rock and a hard place.

Mariupol looks to be turning into a completely unnecessary major defeat for UKR army, instead of being a symbol of heroic defense the nation would rally around for months.

And all most likely due to a difficult to comprehend poor planning. Also communication with the outside world, a complete disaster. After watching the situation closely for seven weeks, I am not even sure defence has a joint command of the city.

I really don't get it. What did UKR military planners expect would happen there?