You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

They are supposed to be more like a brigade now, around 2,500 but I don't know how many are active.  Still some 1% to 2% of the Ukrainian army.

If you believe the german report wikipedia based its figures on. A lot will be dead now.

But the point still stands - it's no reason to invade the country.

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Some proper bellend on Granada before, he's a gym owner and has gone over to fight with no combat experience. He looked exactly as you'd imagine, he was even showing off the camo rucksack he'd bought from famous army stores.

They're putting the foreign fighters on the front line now so alot of them may not come home.  Certainly be a reality check when the shelling starts.

6 minutes ago, M_B said:

If you believe the german report wikipedia based its figures on. A lot will be dead now.

But the point still stands - it's no reason to invade the country.

Why would they be dead? They are good fighters, well trained over the years and motivated.

They are definitely an issue for Ukraine, but what people don't understand, it is difficult to view them from a peacetime perspective. They were useful in 2014 when Ukraine's army was falling apart from within, many there probably view them as heroes, and it is often better to have them within the army then in paramilitary detachments nobody controls.

People often don't realize, when the nation is under existential threat, ultranationalists will be there. It's not the same as peacetime Britain. And not all of them are real Neo-Nazis. But it's useful for Russian propaganda which, naturally, ignores similar types in their ranks.

13 hours ago, Red Shift said:

What if real cooperation had created a different setting- is it possible that the likes of Putin would not have come to power?

Yeah for sure. 

After the First World War Germany was forced to pay massive reparations, which bred a lot of resentment and ultimately helped with the rise of Hitler leading to the Second World War.

After the Second World War the allies learned their lessons, and the yanks especially helped build up German and Japanese, and Korean, industry so the countries got back on their feet.  Now Germany is in NATO, Japan is the US's best mate in Asia, they play baseball in Korea, and they're all relatively thriving democracies.

After the end of the Cold War, the West had forgotten the lesson, so sent in the disaster capitalists to rape and pillage instead of helping build up the Russian economy.  Now thirty years later we have Putin in power, and are on the verge of a new Cold War. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, J-V said:

They're putting the foreign fighters on the front line now so alot of them may not come home.  Certainly be a reality check when the shelling starts.

I heard the same, they are also sending them with the azov battalions. Where's that Tommy Robinson idiot? Get him and his stupid mates over there, along with the mouthy boys who did three weeks in army cadets when they were ten years of age and pretends they're Andy Mcnab, their time has come, heed the call.

9 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah for sure. 

After the First World War Germany was forced to pay massive reparations, which bred a lot of resentment and ultimately helped with the rise of Hitler leading to the Second World War.

After the Second World War the allies learned their lessons, and the yanks especially helped build up German and Japanese, and Korean, industry so the countries got back on their feet.  Now Germany is in NATO, Japan is the US's best mate in Asia, they play baseball in Korea, and they're all relatively thriving democracies.

After the end of the Cold War, the West had forgotten the lesson, so sent in the disaster capitalists to rape and pillage instead of helping build up the Russian economy.  Now thirty years later we have Putin in power, and are on the verge of a new Cold War. 

They sent in Jeffrey Sacks too.

Also Russia was always going to end up as some kind of empire in the making.

24 minutes ago, SasaS said:

They sent in Jeffrey Sacks too.

Also Russia was always going to end up as some kind of empire in the making.

Do you reckon?  Just because of the size of the place, resources, number of people and that means it inevitably becomes a global power at some point?  Or some more specific reason?  

54 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Do you reckon?  Just because of the size of the place, resources, number of people and that means it inevitably becomes a global power at some point?  Or some more specific reason?  

History, perhaps?

13 hours ago, SasaS said:

No, I expressed my amazement that people would seriously use/quote LaRouche as a source.

And although I appreciate your attempts to educate me, the curriculum you are suggesting tells me I am probably not dealing with an institution of the highest academic rigor and possibly a tad below my current educational needs.  

I keep an eye on LaRouche PAC because they actually get some detail into their reports a lot of the time. They were spot on with this piece, before the ‘global financial crisis’ hit the world:

https://larouchepub.com/hzl/2007/3431house_of_cards.html

LaRouche was the first to call for a reinstatement of the Glass - Steagall Act, and it took much pain and suffering to reel in the bankers after 2008.

In terms of the history of Naziism in Ukraine as per linked dossier, I think there’s too much in there for me to ignore, but you go right ahead. Each to their own.

9 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Some proper bellend on Granada before, he's a gym owner and has gone over to fight with no combat experience. He looked exactly as you'd imagine, he was even showing off the camo rucksack he'd bought from famous army stores.

He could have at least got a proper one from the Army & Navy Stores

5 minutes ago, J-V said:

They managed to destroy one of the new Russian ships.  Some shot with an unguided Grad launcher.

picturepicture_164666161172723245384582_

Why is that video just a black screen with a few torch flashes? What is it supposed to show?

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Why is that video just a black screen with a few torch flashes? What is it supposed to show?

The Marines/Army shooting the MLRS and hitting the Ship.

Apparently they baited it in with two smaller vessels one of which was sunk then they got lucky hitting and sinking the thing.

Old news to some, but news to me. That pesky Pilger again

From 2016

*The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague has quietly cleared the late Serbian president, Slobodan Milosevic, of war crimes committed during the 1992-95 Bosnian war, including the massacre at Srebrenica.

Far from conspiring with the convicted Bosnian-Serb leader Radovan Karadzic, Milosevic actually "condemned ethnic cleansing", opposed Karadzic and tried to stop the war that dismembered Yugoslavia. Buried near the end of a 2,590 page judgement on Karadzic last February, this truth further demolishes the propaganda that justified Nato's illegal onslaught on Serbia in 1999.........Like Milosevic, Putin is Demon Number One

http://johnpilger.com/articles/provoking-nuclear-war-by-media

18 hours ago, Pureblood said:

Maybe you should also consider that the same people who've spent the last two years lying to you and constantly shifting the narrative on Covid are also reporting on this conflict.  

The difference between this conflict and Covid is that your views are irrelevant and cannot influence people to do anything that is potentially harmful. 

• Upvote 2