You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, Alex_K said:

Putin was considered a 'meek' bureaucrat who could be easily controlled - he was a 'suit'. Yeltsin's health was failing him, he was losing support and his extended family was deep in corruption and wanted an organised exit. In return for stepping away his + his family retirement was funded: his daughter, for example, still receives gifts like Teslas or properties in Moscow to this day, even decades on.

They let the wolf into the hen house, which is a shame because other primed liberal candidates (Nemtsov for example) would likely have led to a very different landscape for the country but ironically were considered too politically-mature compared to a figure like Putin. Of course many of those (Nemtsov included) have since been assassinated. Russia will Russia.

History repeating itself there then 

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

May I suggest they think again? 70,000 Chetchen 'meatheads' have volunteered to go aid Putin's army.

May I also suggest if people look to any deity for inspiration, they pray that this does not spiral out of control.

Those like me who dont hold with any deity had better hope a semblence of common sense prevails and the fighting stops pretty soon.

Im getting pretty shit scared and I dont mind admitting it. Not that I was around in 1939 and I was only knee high to a grasshopper in 1962. But this has all the ingredients to get very, very bad.

Let them.go.

It's not like we are going to be losing.a cure for cancer or anything.

1 hour ago, Fugitive said:

I only live 36 mile from faslane. Dont know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Bit of both I think. Bad if it gets a direct hit and you have to wait for the fall out to kill you, Good if one goes a bit off target and it will all be over in a flash!

Hope that cheered you up, happy to help.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

I don't think Zelensky will have a lot of choice come the end of the weekend and I'd be surprised if he hasn't listened tentatively to all options. He'd be a fool not to.

I dont think he'll have any choice but, they wont be neutrality talks referenced in those reports links will they? They'll be surrender talks at best and insurrection talks and summary execution at worst.

Or does neutrality talks have a different meaning to some?

12 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Let them.go.

It's not like we are going to be losing.a cure for cancer or anything.

I'm like Docker's, I'm terrified, I grew up during the cold war when the threat of nuclear war seemed to be constant.

But one thing has changed in me since those days, I know that there's absolutely fuck all I can do about it.

I hope it doesn't spiral out of control, I hope Putin gets some concessions and fucks his army back to Moscow with as little blood shed as possible.

But if it does get worse and the nightmare happens I just hope it's over quickly!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

I'm like Docker's, I'm terrified, I grew up during the cold war when the threat of nuclear war seemed to be constant.

But one thing has changed in me since those days, I know that there's absolutely fuck all I can do about it.

I hope it doesn't spiral out of control, I hope Putin gets some concessions and fucks his army back to Moscow with as little blood shed as possible.

But if it does get worse and the nightmare happens I just hope it's over quickly!

Don't live in fear, mate.  People in the Ukraine, yes they can be scared.  Us, not so much. 

21 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont think he'll have any choice but, they wont be neutrality talks referenced in those reports links will they? They'll be surrender talks at best and insurrection talks and summary execution at worst.

Or does neutrality talks have a different meaning to some?

They'll be dressed up as such so no side loses face, Russia will of course call the shots.I'm not sure what over way out of this their is, for both countries and the west.