You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

Hope this guy has a Geiger counter...

Andrew Roth 

In a rare act of public dissent against the war, the Russian newspaper Novaya Gazeta has announced that its next edition will come out in Russian and Ukrainian languages.

Dmitry Muratov, the Nobel prize-winning editor of the paper, said that “together with our grief we feel shame” about a war that he directly blamed on Vladimir Putin.

“What’s the next step?” he said. “A nuclear salvo?

“We’re going to release this next edition of Novaya Gazeta in two languages because we will never see Ukraine as an enemy or Ukrainian as the language of the enemy.”

He added a call for protests against the war.

“Only an anti-war movement of Russians in my opinion can save life on this planet.”

9 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I see that Putin's video declaring war was filmed three days ago, right after the other video he did.

He's been building up forces for 12 months so it's reasonable to assume this is the enactment of a long standing decision.

As the Soviets, the US and it allies have discovered there a big difference between successfully invading and then subsequently occupying a country. I could see this deteriorate in coming months into an insurgency that would dwarf Afghanistan.

44 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Imagine waking up to that this morning! Fucking hell, like something from a movie.

Obviously there are going to be casualties on both side, and God rest all of them.

Hopefully that cunt gets what's coming to him sooner rather than later.

26 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

UEFA should strip them of the CL Final, and make them host the Europa Conference Final. That'll teach 'em.

In all seriousness, Russian teams, athletes and the country as a whole shouldn’t be allowed any involvement in international sporting events until this is resolved. 

20 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Hope this guy has a Geiger counter...

Andrew Roth 

In a rare act of public dissent against the war, the Russian newspaper Novaya Gazeta has announced that its next edition will come out in Russian and Ukrainian languages.

Dmitry Muratov, the Nobel prize-winning editor of the paper, said that “together with our grief we feel shame” about a war that he directly blamed on Vladimir Putin.

“What’s the next step?” he said. “A nuclear salvo?

“We’re going to release this next edition of Novaya Gazeta in two languages because we will never see Ukraine as an enemy or Ukrainian as the language of the enemy.”

He added a call for protests against the war.

“Only an anti-war movement of Russians in my opinion can save life on this planet.”

I’m so sorry to hear he’s about to fall out of window.  Especially one that’s been painted shut for years after the sash cord went.  

35 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I think NATO will bolster troops in the Baltic states after their meeting tomorrow. I think Putin stops if he takes Ukraine. I suspect he'd see that as an acceptable buffer zone between the Motherland and NATO. If he pushes further he will trigger a war, one which he can't win and won't want. I don't think he's that arsed about sanctions. It's not like he and his entourage will starve. Just the ordinary Russian people. Always the ordinary folks getting fucked over.

I think the world will target Putin and his wealth.  His power is only as deep as his pockets.  Once his assets gets frozen he'll be livid and wanting all out war, but the ogliarchs will have him killed.  Money, and greed, will save the world from war.  Some very important people have way too much to lose to let Putin go too far.  

8 minutes ago, Nelly-Fauci said:

The worst thing about this whole sorry saga is hearing news presenters and reporters pronounce the capital of Ukraine as Key-v, rather than Key-ev. 

The former might be linguistically correct, but I’m used to Key-ev and find the new version really fucking annoying. 

Interesting, that's been bugging me too however from Wiki...

KEY-EV
Whereas Kiev was pronounced by English speakers as KEY-EV, the proper way to say the Ukrainian capital's name is KEE-EVE

I'm no longer sure which is correct?