You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

8 hours ago, M_B said:

You think that meant Britain had no right to declare war on Hitler? You think the West has no right to resist Russia invading Ukraine?

I think you can't look at ww2 without the consequences of ww1.

We declared war on Germany because they wanted an empire and we weren't happy.

Ww2 probally wouldn't have happened without the earlier conflict.

I also think the situations are completely different.

When putin controls most of Europe they may be comparable.

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

I think you can't look at ww2 without the consequences of ww1.

We declared war on Germany because they wanted an empire and we weren't happy.

Ww2 probally wouldn't have happened without the earlier conflict.

I also think the situations are completely different.

When putin controls most of Europe they may be comparable.

Rubbish.

On 17/02/2022 at 04:35, M_B said:

Yet. Defender of the fatherland day in Russia is Feb 23rd.

On 17/02/2022 at 07:28, TheHowieLama said:

“After Feb. 20 was always the more important time frame,” said MICHAEL KOFMAN, an expert on Russia’s military at the CNA think tank. “We’re looking to see what Russian forces do then.”

That’s when the largest military exercise since the Cold War is scheduled to end, after which leaders in Moscow and Minsk promised Putin’s troops would head home.

“Not a single Russian serviceman, not a single piece of equipment will remain in Belarus after the completion of exercises with Russia,” Belarussian Foreign Minister VLADIMIR MAKEI. 

• "Let's start with the fact that modern Ukraine was entirely created by Russia, more precisely, by the Bolshevik, communist Russia. This process began almost immediately after the 1917 revolution," Putin said.
  • "Then, on the eve and after the Second World War, Stalin already annexed to the USSR and transferred to Ukraine some lands that previously belonged to Poland, Romania and Hungary," Putin said.
  • "And in 1954, for some reason, Khrushchev took Crimea from Russia and gave it to Ukraine. Actually, this is how the territory of Soviet Ukraine was formed," Putin said.

3 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

RP is defo lying in a heap covered in his own spunk after that.

Why would I be happy at that? He's escalated things and now it looks like there's more chance of war. I'm not happy at anything here that increases the chance of anything but a peaceful solution.

Russian stock market down 14% in a single day: https://quote.rbc.ru/news/article/621397139a79472d16e0d003

Ruble down around 5% today as well. Going to be a crusher to the average, poor Russian who lives on $200/month.

Thankfully, all the rich people already own a bunch of real estate in Italy/London/Switzerland so they'll be fine. Would be a real shame if anything were to happen to that!

14 minutes ago, Strontium said:

At least now people (a dwindling band of people, to be fair) can stop pretending that this is about anything other than Russian imperialism.

This part is true, for sure. He barely mentioned the NATO issue, it was all "Ukraine shouldn't really exist, all Ukrainians really just want to be Russians."

The historiography was ... questionable, to say the least.

1 minute ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This part is true, for sure. He barely mentioned the NATO issue, it was all "Ukraine shouldn't really exist, all Ukrainians really just want to be Russians."

The historiography was ... questionable, to say the least.

My great-grandparents were so desperate to be Russian that they fled Lithuania to live in Cork.