You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Not without merit though, the west has for decades embarked on a policy of steamrolling into eastern Europe for the purpose of controlling assets, gaining cheap labour and the USA getting one up on those nasty Russians. In return the west bungs the new hierarchy of these countries a load of money, and tells its people they're going to have a pocket full of lovely 'freedom'. Unfortunately the new government the USA rubber stamps often consists of some of world's worst right wing nutjobs.

https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/latest-news/eu-reports-find-workers-from-eastern-europe-face-low-wages-exploitative-working-conditions/

There's always some merit to what Pilger says, that's what makes his instinctive anti-imperialist reaction to similarly overlook the evils of non-Western authoritarian regimes so sad. He's an invaluable tool in holding our own government to account, but he's also a polemicist who'll gloss over human rights abuses. I'm glad he lives in a society where he's able to say these things though.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

There's always some merit to what Pilger says, that's what makes his instinctive anti-imperialist reaction to similarly overlook the evils of non-Western authoritarian regimes so sad. He's an invaluable tool in holding our own government to account, but he's also a polemicist who'll gloss over human rights abuses. I'm glad he lives in a society where he's able to say these things though.

Fair enough.

6 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

He is a tool alright.

And poor Eastern European workers are really struggling since the warm supportive embrace of the Soviet Union has been crudely removed.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

This looks like it is kicking off again. Russia supplies 40% of European gas so an invasion in a cold February would put us in a tricky spot re sanctions etc. I’m sure that nice mr Putin has thought of that too. 

The UK imports most of it's gas from Norway. Putin cutting gas would affect mainland Europe more.

Top one for me and I'm certain thats the same hotel I stayed in in Sharm El Sheikh. Constantly Russian (or Eastern European women) posing for photographs all day while you're just sat off drinking and trying not to let your missus (or their grock fellas) catch you perving. 

25 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I read today that if the Russians do invade it is likely that they will invade through the area around Chernobyl, the most radioactive area on the planet. That’s going to be fun to defend.

Its been open as a tourist venue (site of cultural significance) since 2011. 

• Upvote 1

The thought of this mob leading us in any kind of foreign policy crisis terrifies me, I mean genuinely terrifies me. 

"As a report was due to be published into Boris Johnson's debauchery, the Prime Minister has challenged Xi Jingping to unleash his nuclear arsenal at the UK, saying the RAF will give it a 'good boffing'." 

23 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Does Ukraine want to be under Putin's control. That's the pertinent question. And the answer appears to be Mr Putin doesnt give a fuck what Ukraine and the rest think or want.

Be afraid and concerned.

Watched a report on the Ukraine border and the answer from the older generation was yes, they'd welcome the tanks rolling in to restore some order. The Ukraine has witnessed massive gun culture and is suffering right wing ideological factions looking to take control once the plentiful EU/USA money roles in.

We should stay the fuck out.

Coming to a city near you, 

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/photo-booth/ukraine-a-supermarket-for-guns/amp

Leave them where they are ffs.

"Putin was said to have been left baffled when on a zoom call Dominic Raab was getting fed baby food as he laid out plans for retaliation while Jacob Rees Mogg who didn't realise he was muted read from a book, Michael Gove bobbed his head and Truss and Johnson who were sharing an account didn't realise they had left the camera on while he goosed her from behind on the zebra print sofa Truss and Johnson" 

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Doesn't really make sense for things to get out of hand. Putin and his mob are gangsters, but all they really care about is money, and you can't make money if you're going to the mattresses. 

It won't get out of hand and the west know it, the Beijing winter Olympics are due to start and Putin would not want to overshadow his Chinese mates after their difficult couple of years, plus a few Russian winners boosts moral back home. In short, not going to happen.

Ps, wait till Stig and a few other EU lovers on here who constantly complain about Britiain, one of the most diverse and liberal country's in the world meet Ukraine, the EUs newest bessie mates. God help us.