You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Aston Villa 1 (Apr 10 2021)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

That was a looooooong time coming. Not just a win at Anfield, but a win of THAT type. You know, the type we used to pull out of the bag all the time back in the ‘mentality monsters’ days.

I don’t remember the last time we did anything like this but it felt good. Very satisfying, especially given the way this game went. We fell behind, got slapped in the face by VAR yet again, responded superbly, equalised but then seemed to lose our way until a last, late flurry that brought us the winner.

If we manage to sneak into the top four come the end of the season this is definitely the game we’ll look back on as being pivotal, because had we not bagged that late winner I think it would have been all over for us. Psychologically, failing to win yet another game at Anfield would have been too much to come back from.

The performance itself did nothing to suggest we have what it takes to break into the top four but that can change. The main thing is picking up points while you wait for the performances to pick up, and we did that.

I don’t feel especially encouraged or happy about where we are but it was such a relief to win this game. It was a great feeling when Trent lashed in that winner, especially as it was obvious that there was no way they could disallow this one. I actually celebrated it, which is rare these days.

Still no first half goal for us though. It’s just getting really fucking weird now isn’t it? We never score in the first half anymore. And when we do, it doesn’t count, but I’ll get to that shortly.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Thought Shaq was good when he came on. I know he's not everyone's favourite player (Hello Jurgen!) but I think he's ace. What must other teams think when they see Shaqiri coming on? He's still a big name. I'm guessing this will probably be his last season here. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up next. 

I don't get the offside rule anymore. So what if Cash touched Trent's pass? If Diogo was offside he was offside when Trent kicked it. Cash playing the ball shouldn't affect that; we can't expect him to leave it in the hope he is offside given how close a call it was.

3 hours ago, Barnesey said:

I don't get the offside rule anymore. So what if Cash touched Trent's pass? If Diogo was offside he was offside when Trent kicked it. Cash playing the ball shouldn't affect that; we can't expect him to leave it in the hope he is offside given how close a call it was.

Any intentional touch from a defender (but not the keeper) will play the attacker onside. 

3 hours ago, aws said:

Any intentional touch from a defender (but not the keeper) will play the attacker onside. 

Yeah, which is what I meant with the bit in brackets about how I hate that stupid rule. But it is the rule, and if Cash touched it then there is no offside. Can't see if he did or not though.

1 minute ago, dave u said:

Yeah, which is what I meant with the bit in brackets about how I hate that stupid rule. But it is the rule, and if Cash touched it then there is no offside. Can't see if he did or not though.

Bit it's funny how Jota couldn't read the flight of the ball after it passed Cash. 

10 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Good report but I don't agree that this was one of those "not accepting not winning" victories we used to have. 

It wasn't grit and determination that got us through this it was just a banger of a strike. 

That's why I felt more relief than elation with this one. 

Yes and no. I agree that it wasn't one of those "huff and puff and eventually we'll blow the house down" wins, as we didn't put them under too much pressure at all.

But it wasn't just a great strike out of nowhere either, as the keeper had just made a good save to keep out Thiago's volley, which was from a nice move in which we had them penned back and flooded the box. 

Defo wasn't vintage, but it was an improvement of what we have seen these past few months. Hopefully it can be a building block.

• Upvote 3

• dave u unpinned this topic

The first 25 mn were good , Jota is really a great asset right now, he makes things happen, even though He’s not fit enough to last an entire game. 

We need Milner more, he brings agression and leadership, and we do need that don’t we ?

• Upvote 2

On 11/04/2021 at 23:37, tokyojoe said:

'May as well not bother watching it live anymore and just watch the highlights later'. My feelings exactly Dave. All the spontaneity of the celebration has gone.

I actually did this for this game. Main reason was I just couldn’t face another 1-0 defeat and clueless performance with us slowly floating crosses into the box. I didn’t used to do this though, even when we were shit. Where’s the enjoyment in sitting round waiting for a random decision? Dave explained it well, and although it’s nice to read he has seemingly become more philosophical and calm about it I must admit I was a bit disappointed as I was quite looking forward to reading an absolutely furious account of it. Ah well.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I actually did this for this game. Main reason was I just couldn’t face another 1-0 defeat and clueless performance with us slowly floating crosses into the box. I didn’t used to do this though, even when we were shit. Where’s the enjoyment in sitting round waiting for a random decision? Dave explained it well, and although it’s nice to read he has seemingly become more philosophical and calm about it I must admit I was a bit disappointed as I was quite looking forward to reading an absolutely furious account of it. Ah well.

Sorry for the 3rd person reference to you Dave, just didn’t want to appear like I thought we were best mates because I bought a fanzine off you 12 years ago. 

• Upvote 1

It goes in stages I suppose. I'm past the anger aspect of it now because I already know these decisions are going against us before they are announced, so I'm resigned to it. It's when you think "this will defo be a goal" and get your hopes up that the anger really kicks in.

The other element of it is that the stakes aren't as high anymore. I know we need to get fourth spot but I just can't get motivated for that. Games aren't on a knife edge because if we lose I just don't feel that the consequences are as huge as they were when we still had a title to fight for.

I just want the season over, hopefully something gets done about VAR, we get fans back in and we can just pretend all this never happened.

• Upvote 2