You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benitez: Liverpool do not need to panic against Real Madrid

TLW

Rafa Benitez says that Liverpool should not panic despite being down 3-1 after the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final tie with Real Madrid.

While the Reds will not have the benefit of the usual passionate Anfield crowd to help them get over the line on this European night, they received a much needed confidence boost by recording a first win on home soil since the middle of December after defeating Aston Villa 2-1 on Saturday.

Madrid come into the game also full of confidence after claiming a 2-1 victory over arch-rival Barcelona which saw them move to the top of the La Liga table ahead of Atletico playing their game in hand on Sunday.

Benitez who is currently on the lookout for his next managerial job is one of the most astute minds when it comes to planning for a two-legged European cup-tie having tasted success in the Champions League with Liverpool and the UEFA Cup/Europa League with Valencia and Chelsea respectively.

The vastly experienced manager documented his thoughts-per the Mirror:

"The way the tie is, if you score once, you are back in it. Even if that takes an hour, so be it.

“For me, the key will be not to get too anxious – for them to manage that anxiety – don’t rush it. Maintain concentration levels and keep focused.

“With quality players, a goal will come.

“But Liverpool have to be in a position where they can keep a clean sheet – and they will have to be more aggressive at Anfield and play with greater intensity over 90 minutes than they did in Madrid.

“Sadly, they cannot rely on the crowd to provide the spark for that.

“In my experience, the supporters at Anfield have been a huge factor in those European nights. I don’t think you can dispute that. It has been one reason for their success. One hundred per cent.

“Now, that drive will have to come from within.”

image.png

Benitez says despite the widely held view that Madrid are on the decline, they have a number of excellent individual talents that are worthy of respect, but there are vulnerabilities that the Reds can attack more than they did in the first leg.

“Real Madrid are a balanced side. Casimero does that really well for them. He allows Toni Kroos and Luca Modric to move around. And to win football matches, you need a balance.

“He also allows the full-backs to move forward. But the reality is that they weren’t exposed too much.

“Nacho is a very good team player. 

“I don’t have any doubts about his quality in the absence of Sergio Ramos and Raphael Varane but Liverpool didn’t put him under too much pressure, either.

“I would also include the full-backs in that and Mo Salah and Sadio Mane have it in them to cause problems in the return leg if they can find that intensity to their play.”

View full article

He's right but it also tells you so much about how he looks at football and why he hasn't been a success since leaving Liverpool. If he was manager in this game he would set the team out to defend and keep in the game without losing it. Then after 65/70 minutes he would try and get a win. 

I'm not sure we can keep a clean sheet in this so we need goals. We were far to passive last week and gave Kroos far to much time to pick them passes into the channel. We need to be into them early. Problem is they'll just keep hitting the decks and rolling around getting free kicks cause they're Real Madrid 

12 hours ago, Lee909 said:

He's right but it also tells you so much about how he looks at football and why he hasn't been a success since leaving Liverpool. If he was manager in this game he would set the team out to defend and keep in the game without losing it. Then after 65/70 minutes he would try and get a win. 

I'm not sure we can keep a clean sheet in this so we need goals. We were far to passive last week and gave Kroos far to much time to pick them passes into the channel. We need to be into them early. Problem is they'll just keep hitting the decks and rolling around getting free kicks cause they're Real Madrid 

Rafa would have kept a clean sheet for sure.

The scoring 2 part would have been due to a packed Anfield.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

Love Rafa and hope & am sure Jurgen will take note. The bedlam Anfield provides on a full-evening means that even if Madrid go 1-0 up, you never think we're truly beyond getting 3 goals without response until the final whistle blows. You just need to look at those mad, intense, quick periods of play against City or Roma or Barca to show how quickly we can get on top of teams. Sadly we won't have access to that here, so its pivotal we get the 1st goal and keep that clean sheet. Set up accordingly.

Early goal imperative.

Plants that doubt in the mind that did Barcelona in, Real will know then that we are only one away from going through.

Problem being, as it was against Barcelona, we can’t afford to concede one either.

I was much more confident about us keeping a clean sheet against Barcelona than I am against Real.

However, there aren’t many around that do what we have done in turning around games over two legs, or in a half come to think of it.

Never say never was made for us.

Going to be very tough.

They are very good at sitting in a disciplined and well organised shape, and as we know that is kryptonite to us.

And of course they have plenty of threat on the counter as we push on - tie is not beyond us, but we have a big, big job on - especially given our current problems.

What happened Saturday should help with some confidence and belief.

10 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Early goal imperative.

Plants that doubt in the mind that did Barcelona in, Real will know then that we are only one away from going through.

Problem being, as it was against Barcelona, we can’t afford to concede one either.

I was much more confident about us keeping a clean sheet against Barcelona than I am against Real.

However, there aren’t many around that do what we have done in turning around games over two legs, or in a half come to think of it.

Never say never was made for us.

Not in front of 55 000 empty seats, we haven’t.