You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sciatica

Reckoner

8 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Echo the comments about posture and core exercises. They're what made most difference for me. Never tried marijuana for it but a mate uses it for her joint pain and she says it helps a lot (she gets those drops that are available everywhere).

Try half a dozen pints of Stella followed by a couple of bongs. Sciatica will be the last of your worries.

I struggled with it for about 18 months in my mid twenties. A lot of it came from carrying heavy record boxes/bags to gigs as a DJ along with being a TIG welder sat in hunched positions.

A physio I went to worked the problem area (bottom of my right buttock) and gave me some exercises to do to relieve it during a spell of it tightening. The best one was to lie on your back and bring the leg, on the side that's causing the issue up towards your chest, place your right hand on your knee (if it's the right leg), gently apply pressure on it to push away while using your left hand to pull your ankle towards your chest; your lower leg should be at 90° from the knee. Hold it in place for around 10 seconds while feeling a gentle pull in the area of the buttock. Do it three times and it does release it slightly.

Hope this can help and he gets more help soon enough.

On 10/04/2021 at 23:04, A Red said:

Not sure if youre in the UK?

The doctors here are inundated with people with bad backs swinging the lead for benefits.

You need a scan, but they cost money so the NHS will send people for physio, prescribe tablets or/and, in my case, electro treatment. When you go through all this youll get the scan and it will identify the problem. 

In my case I had a divider put into my spine and on the friday before the op i couldnt walk more than 200 yards to to 3 days later i could walk 5 miles. Good luck!

Have you tried to claim benefits recently? A 'bad back' would have to be 'cancer of the spine' or full paralysis to even merit a review for a benefits payment. Absolute bullshit.

8 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Have you tried to claim benefits recently? A 'bad back' would have to be 'cancer of the spine' or full paralysis to even merit a review for a benefits payment. Absolute bullshit.

Not sure if you mean the system is bullshit or i'm talking bullshit, either way I suppose is not outrageous

I was only going by what my GP and Consultant told me 7 years ago

45 minutes ago, A Red said:

Not sure if you mean the system is bullshit or i'm talking bullshit, either way I suppose is not outrageous

I was only going by what my GP and Consultant told me 7 years ago

The system is bullshit and your consultant's information is way out of date. If nobody had been x rayed at that point,how could anybody be accused of swinging the lead? Consultant sounded a cunt.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The system is bullshit and your consultant's information is way out of date. If nobody had been x rayed at that point,how could anybody be accused of swinging the lead? Consultant sounded a cunt.

I'm not going to argue you over this as I'm not holding it as a 100% fact, just what I was told.

My experience was, the GP told me I needed a scan but, until all other avenues were closed e.g physio, I couldnt have one because they were expensive and the NHS was inundated with people with bad backs. Many who were just looking for a sick note or invalidity benefit.

It took about 9 months before I got my scan and the problem was identified. I complained to the Consultant that I shouldnt have had to waste all that time when a scan gives a real quick diagnosis. He then reiterated what the GP had said.

I know I'm a full on tory, fascist, kitten drowning, racist, homophobic cunt but in this instance I'm not trying to make a social comment

I suffered with sciatica for about 17 years on and off but in the last few years for worse, sometimes my foot dragging a little on the floor. Truly the worst pain I have ever felt. 

Over the years I've had two cordial epidurals and a cortizone, physio, the electric shit, chiropractor and finally went through my PMI last year and had a discectomy in July and have felt this good in years. 

Still get back pain if I stand up for too long but it's so nice to be able to get myself out of bed in the morning without the use of a wall to help pull myself up. 

I wouldn't wish it on anyone and hope your dad gets its sorted out. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, A Red said:

I'm not going to argue you over this as I'm not holding it as a 100% fact, just what I was told.

My experience was, the GP told me I needed a scan but, until all other avenues were closed e.g physio, I couldnt have one because they were expensive and the NHS was inundated with people with bad backs. Many who were just looking for a sick note or invalidity benefit.

It took about 9 months before I got my scan and the problem was identified. I complained to the Consultant that I shouldnt have had to waste all that time when a scan gives a real quick diagnosis. He then reiterated what the GP had said.

I know I'm a full on tory, fascist, kitten drowning, racist, homophobic cunt but in this instance I'm not trying to make a social comment

Thinly veiled...

' I once tried to claim sick money for a non existent bad back but got found out now I'm fucking bitter' 

post.