You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid - Champions League (H) 14/4/21 - 20:00

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I’ve no issue with it, especially when Fabinho clattered Casemiro early on.

It’s a small price to pay for having a world class goalkeeper and defensive midfielder. (And Bobby). 

Why don't you just fuck off to Brasil if you love the place so much. 

24 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

How will we beat them comfortably when we can't score goals? 

Leeds are pretty abysmal defensively and play a style that plays that plays right into our hands. You can acknowledge there's a big difference between the quality of Real Madrid and Leeds, can't you?

17 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Leeds are pretty abysmal defensively and play a style that plays that plays right into our hands. You can acknowledge there's a big difference between the quality of Real Madrid and Leeds, can't you?

Yes. I can also acknowledge that we barely beat Leeds last time out. When we were fresher, had fewer injuries, looked like we knew what we were trying to achieve, etc. Leeds also beat a far superior side to us last time they played. Have had a longer break. And so on...

I have no great confidence in us beating anyone, anyway. I think we've mostly been shit for more than a calendar year. 

18 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

You can acknowledge there's a big difference between the quality of Real Madrid and Leeds, can't you?

It’s not just here, but there’s an odd notion that Madrid are a pile of shit who should have been swatted aside easily and not the form team in Spain on course to retain their league title.

I’m not going to bet against them in the CL; it’s not easy for me to shake the idea that Zidane is a right club / right time fraud of a coach who would fail anywhere else, but if they shithouse their way to another win in the competition, he’s out on his own as the most successful manager in the history of the European Cup and therefore one of the greatest of all-time.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

By the way, I can only agree now with the people who said we shouldn't have signed Thiago. We clearly have/had absolutely no plan for him and not starting him in either of these games is a complete pisstake for a player like him.

Klopp has made a big mistake there unless he proves he has a single inkling of how to play with him next season. 

Think he was bought for the team we had then but not this one. Seen a glimpse of what he could have done against Chelsea, then it all went tits up. I'd let Bobby go but keep Sadio, he'll come good again. Very disappointing season. 

4 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

It’s not just here, but there’s an odd notion that Madrid are a pile of shit who should have been swatted aside easily and not the form team in Spain on course to retain their league title.

I’m not going to bet against them in the CL; it’s not easy for me to shake the idea that Zidane is a right club / right time fraud of a coach who would fail anywhere else, but if they shithouse their way to another win in the competition, he’s out on his own as the most successful manager in the history of the European Cup and therefore one of the greatest of all-time.

I'm not belittling Real Madrid. I think they barely got out of second gear across the two legs and could have stepped it up if they needed to.

8 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

It’s not just here, but there’s an odd notion that Madrid are a pile of shit and not the form team in Spain on course to retain their league title.

I’m not going to bet against them in the CL either; it’s not easy for me to shake the idea that Zidane is a right club / right time fraud of a manager who would fail anywhere else, but if they shithouse their way to another win in the competition, he’s the most successful manager in the history of the European Cup and therefore one of the greatest of all-time.

Zidane's clearly not a fraud and there is a legendary base of talent and experience there still with their midfield,  Benzema and when fit, Varane, Ramos,  Carvajal, players that have won it 3 times, but they are nowhere near as good as they once were.

If we were half decent we would have beaten them. The difference with Barcelona of 2019 is they were scarred mentally and we took advantage of that. This Madrid side aren't better than that Barca side, they just aren't pussies and they make no mistakes. We had to clearly beat them, they were not gonna beat themselves.

18 months ago we were on 5 European Cups and 18 titles. In-between that we've Won number 6, Won the league and conquered the bloody world. The lads are allowed a bit of grace. We will make top 4. A few important changes in the summer and we will be back next year. 

1fa55eaec8976d97486cb10a6711159c.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

this is on-point unfortunately. I love Salah, he’s a great player, but his misses cost us. We need to shake up the front three, I’d keep Salah and sell the other two this summer. Seems harsh given what they’ve done for us but it’s the right thing to do.

Agree.

Trouble is, can we be relied upon to bring in at least one top-drawer replacement?

Doubt it.

I can see this same lot running around again, particularly after a Euro summer.

Funny thing is, if anything, Salah might go.

For a "huge" fee - with which we can target someone appropriate when the time is right, of course.

Which could be never.

I wonder whether we see Klopp make his exit before any of this lot are properly replaced.  

And that's not casting any aspersions on how or why he might leave.

2 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Tonight is the essence of football, thought we were brilliant for the first 60 in the first 2/3s. Our finishing is now some of the worst I’ve ever seen for a top level club for a sustained period, it’s absolutely maddening. We need to take that intensity into Leeds, and we’ll beat them comfortably.

Or lose.

2 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

There's a big difference between the quality of Burnley and Real Madrid too.

Didn't help.

We created enough chances to win quite comfortably last night and only have ourselves to blame. For me the tie was done when towards the end of the first half Firmino had a great chance to play Trent in for almost a one on one,but dithered and then played a pass to the feet of the Madrid defender. Needing goals and not starting Jota was a poor decision for me. Ultimately though,poor finishing was the culprit even though Courtois played well. He didnt have a worldie but played well.

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

this is on-point unfortunately. I love Salah, he’s a great player, but his misses cost us. We need to shake up the front three, I’d keep Salah and sell the other two this summer. Seems harsh given what they’ve done for us but it’s the right thing to do.

That's been our problem for years, we hang onto players for to long because we become attached to what they've "done" for us past tense really if they are not "doing it" for us any longer then just move them on, Bobby hasn't done anything of note for 2 years he's becoming a liability gives the ball away to often can't score Sadio has had a bad 6 months so maybe it's to early to move him out but if he starts next season the same way then unfortunately he would need to go, Mo misses chances but out of the front 3 he's the only regular goal scorer out the 3 him and Jota should start week in week out for the rest of the season with the other spot up for grabs we need as a club to stop holding on to players because they've done this or that 3 years ago last 2 seasons have been amazing but due to a lack of investment / planning whatever we want to call it that exceptional team has become stale and lackluster with only glimpses of it ending anytime soon.

2 hours ago, J-V said:

Madrid didn’t even get out of 3rd gear that was a comfortable night for them.  Courtois had what one decent save to make from a Milner in the first half.

What about the Salah miss in the opening minutes? Gini missing a sitter? It could easily have been 3-0 at half time. Whatever gear Madrid were in they would have been beaten if we'd brought our shooting boots.

Instead we got that shit show of horrendous finishing

6 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Nah, you surf waves, we'd get fuck all for Firmino now, and Mane perhaps £50m or less. So then, what, £80m to replace two forward options? 

I'd sell Salah as well. Sunrise, sunset. No worries. 

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Nah, you surf waves, we'd get fuck all for Firmino now, and Mane perhaps £50m or less. So then, what, £80m to replace two forward options? 

I'd sell Salah as well. Sunrise, sunset. No worries. 

Raphinha and a no 9... 

• Downvote 1