You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid - Champions League (H) 14/4/21 - 20:00

Bjornebye

With hindsight I think Klopp got the subs wrong there

Bobby should have gone off for Jota instead of Kabak.

Wijnaldum off for Thiago instead of Milner. 

Shaqiri on for Mané a bit earlier might have helped too. 

Played well, just didn't take our chances, and then lost our intensity towards the end, something that the fans might have helped with, but ultimately the damage was done a week ago. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, KingLuis said:

A well deserved elimination.

Nothing to complain about, defence and midfield did their job. The attack, not for the first time this season, was absent.

We have a number 9 devoid of any creativity and imagination which are supposed to be his main assets, and to add to his misery he can't even shoot at an open goal.
And next to him, 2 attackers who need what at least 4-5 clear cut chances for them to score one.
No complaint, Madrid did their job and they are through.

this is on-point unfortunately. I love Salah, he’s a great player, but his misses cost us. We need to shake up the front three, I’d keep Salah and sell the other two this summer. Seems harsh given what they’ve done for us but it’s the right thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

There's something rotten at the club, and I expect our league form to nosedive now as well.  

Excuses, yes, but everyone has excuses, we're feeling sorry for ourselves and that's not the same. 

You're funnneeeeee you know that

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

this is on-point unfortunately. I love Salah, he’s a great player, but his misses cost us. We need to shake up the front three, I’d keep Salah and sell the other two this summer. Seems harsh given what they’ve done for us but it’s the right thing to do.

Big decisions are going to have to made by Klopp and FSG as it looks like this team has reached the end of its cycle.Firmino needs to be replaced as a priority and Mane is a shadow of a player he was last season if he is on decline then we need to act.

That was a weak madrid team

out there tonight. 4-0 wouldn’t have flattered us by half time. 

Shame we just reverted to type and played the same way we’ve done since Xmas and made it easy for them to see it out.

Hopefully we invest big in quality attacking players this summer and change our style of play going forward. This trying to play everything through the middle or crossing to an empty box has to stop. 

Tonight is the essence of football, thought we were brilliant for the first 60 in the first 2/3s. Our finishing is now some of the worst I’ve ever seen for a top level club for a sustained period, it’s absolutely maddening. We need to take that intensity into Leeds, and we’ll beat them comfortably.

Just now, LFC 6 Times said:

Tonight is the essence of football, thought we were brilliant for the first 60 in the first 2/3s. Our finishing is now some of the worst I’ve ever seen for a top level club for a sustained period, it’s absolutely maddening. We need to take that intensity into Leeds, and we’ll beat them comfortably.

How will we beat them comfortably when we can't score goals? 

• Like 1

Annoys me to see all the Brazilian players at the end all talking like they've just bumped into each other in the pub after a few months. Even in February they were talking to and high fiving that snide Richarlison. 

I realise you're all best mates in the national team but we've just been knocked out of Europe. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Doctor Troy said:

Annoys me to see all the Brazilian players at the end all talking like they've just bumped into each other in the pub after a few months. Even in February they were talking to and high fiving that snide Richarlison. 

I realise you're all best mates in the national team but we've just been knocked out of Europe. 

Yeah I can't stand that shit. Tell them to fuck off until you get into the tunnel at least. I wouldn't speak to them again the shitbags. 

The tempo for the first hour or so was very good. Yes Real had a few spells of possession, but they didn't do much with them whereas we looked dangerous up to a point. That point being end product.

Too often our players don't make a clean contact when a chance presents itself. The either scuff tamely, hit a shot right at the keeper, or skew it way off target. Mo and Gini really ought to have scored at least one of their chances in that first half.

It was when we made our first substitutions that our tempo disappeared. Partially that was down to the subs getting acclimatised with the game itself, but mostly it was because the formation we switched to did nothing for us. Sadio was taking a breather down the right, and Diogo didn't want to we so wide on the left. It meant we stopped stretching the play and more and more tried eye-of-a-needle stuff in the middle that mostly didn't come off.

When something did actally open up, the ball got stuck under our player's feet (Mo) or blocked by a defender (Bobby). What got me more and more annoyed as the game went on was that EVERY loose ball bounced the way of the Spaniards. If they blocked anything, the ball fell kindly to them. They didn't play with any ambition, happy to sit back and hit on the counter, but they were helped massively that nothing was falling for our players even if there was an element of last-ditch about some of their defending.

It just wasn't to be our night. Our only hope of getting back into the competition next season is to go on a run in our remaining league games while hoping that a few of those currently above us start to falter.

We HAVE to be more ruthless and efficient in the final third though.

EDIT: The dickhead element who attacked the Real Madrid team bus can fuck right off.

2 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

How will we beat them comfortably when we can't score goals? 

Was thinking the same. We have been like a dog barking since beginning of this year without a bite. All our games won have been hard fought matches where results could have been anything.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I’ve no issue with it, especially when Fabinho clattered Casemiro early on.

It’s a small price to pay for having a world class goalkeeper and defensive midfielder. (And Bobby).