You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid - Champions League (H) 14/4/21 - 20:00

Bjornebye

It's pretty obvious which past game I would mention here.

The Round of 16 second leg in early March 2009 saw us take on Real Madrid holding a 1-0 lead thanks to Yossi's late goal in the first leg. We had a great home record that season (with only Chelsea emerging victorious at Anfield in the quarter finals), and would finish the home league campaign unbeaten, only losing twice on the road. It still wasn't enough to claim the title though. A lot of people put that down to Rafa's 'rant' (those people need to look up the meaning of the word 'rant' by the way), but it was really a series of draws at home to some of the league's dross that put paid to our title march. A lack of squad depth thanks to our perilous finances was another factor. You also can't rule out Howard Webb lending a helping hand when the Mancs looked like they might be teetering.

The Real Madrid side was Casillas, Ramos, Pepe, Cannavaro, Heinze, Gago, Diarra, Sneijder, Robben, Raul and Higuain. They still had the likes of Marcelo and Van Der Vaart on the bench. Huntelaar was cup-tied so wasn't involved. They were lagging behind a resurgent Barcelona domestically but still had a strong squad and were the reigning La Liga champions.

No matter. We tore into them from the off. A brilliant turn from Nando saw his effort saved by the sprawling Casillas, and Masch leathered a volley towards the top corner which the Spanish keeper flew across his goal to tip over. Superb volley, even better save. No matter as Carra's punt forward suddenly had Pepe dealing with a 2-on-1. Kuyt took charge of the situation to square to an unmarked Nando to put us ahead on the night and 2-0 on aggregate. Soon after, Heinze was adjudged to have handled in the box (the ball struck him on the shoulder) and Stevie duly dispatched the penalty into the right corner to give us a daunting 3-0 aggregate lead. We were streets ahead of Real Madrid, and they could barely lay a glove on us. It would get even better. At the beginning of the second half, Babel skinned Ramos on the left before cutting back to a charging Stevie to lash the ball past the helpless Casillas. 3-0 on the night, 4-0 on aggregate and we were in dreamland. Rafa even took the opportunity to bring on wee Jay (who nearly scored himself) before the icing on the cake - a late breakaway goal scored by none other than the Doss! He would cap the week by getting another late goal in the 4-1 hiding we dished out at Old Trafford. 4-0 against Real Madrid followed by that 4-1 against the Mancs made it a great week, and at the time we were serious contenders for the big prizes. It really looked possible.

Kelly Clarkson was number one in the charts for one week, with her hit 'My Life Would Suck Without You'. I think it's supposed to be one of those female power anthems, but is unusual in that it isn't actually slagging off blokes. Pink would never have had a career if such a thing didn't exist.

We have our work cut out to claw back the first leg deficit. We need a lot of things to come together. Intensity of performance. Creativity to open them up. Ruthlessness to finish off chances we do create. Defensive organisation and solidity. Luck that has been noticeably absent this season. And last but by no means least, officials who don't assist Real Madrid in their attempts to shithouse their way through this game, because I've no doubt they'll try it on. We CAN do it. We NEED to do it. Shit or get off the pot. Get the job done. The Champions League sucks without us, and we suck without the Champions League.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, niallers said:

They're not exactly over exerting themselves at the moment in the barca game.  They're just sitting in and defending deep. 

Irritatingly good at it too...and as we know that in teams is krytonite to us.

We really need an earlyish goal on Weds to wobble them and give us belief.

18 minutes ago, Trumo said:

The Round of 16 second leg in early March 2009 saw us take on Real Madrid holding a 1-0 lead thanks to Yossi's late goal in the first leg. We had a great home record that season (with only Chelsea emerging victorious at Anfield in the quarter finals), and would finish the home league campaign unbeaten, only losing twice on the road. It still wasn't enough to claim the title though. A lot of people put that down to Rafa's 'rant' (those people need to look up the meaning of the word 'rant' by the way), but it was really a series of draws at home to some of the league's dross that put paid to our title march. A lack of squad depth thanks to our perilous finances was another factor. You also can't rule out Howard Webb lending a helping hand when the Mancs looked like they might be teetering.

The Real Madrid side was Casillas, Ramos, Pepe, Cannavaro, Heinze, Gago, Diarra, Sneijder, Robben, Raul and Higuain. They still had the likes of Marcelo and Van Der Vaart on the bench. Huntelaar was cup-tied so wasn't involved. They were lagging behind a resurgent Barcelona domestically but still had a strong squad and were the reigning La Liga champions.

No matter. We tore into them from the off. A brilliant turn from Nando saw his effort saved by the sprawling Casillas, and Masch leathered a volley towards the top corner which the Spanish keeper flew across his goal to tip over. Superb volley, even better save. No matter as Carra's punt forward suddenly had Pepe dealing with a 2-on-1. Kuyt took charge of the situation to square to an unmarked Nando to put us ahead on the night and 2-0 on aggregate. Soon after, Heinze was adjudged to have handled in the box (the ball struck him on the shoulder) and Stevie duly dispatched the penalty into the right corner to give us a daunting 3-0 aggregate lead. We were streets ahead of Real Madrid, and they could barely lay a glove on us. It would get even better. At the beginning of the second half, Babel skinned Ramos on the left before cutting back to a charging Stevie to lash the ball past the helpless Casillas. 3-0 on the night, 4-0 on aggregate and we were in dreamland. Rafa even took the opportunity to bring on wee Jay (who nearly scored himself) before the icing on the cake - a late breakaway goal scored by none other than the Doss! He would cap the week by getting another late goal in the 4-1 hiding we dished out at Old Trafford. 4-0 against Real Madrid followed by that 4-1 against the Mancs made it a great week, and at the time we were serious contenders for the big prizes. It really looked possible.

Kelly Clarkson was number one in the charts for one week, with her hit 'My Life Would Suck Without You'. I think it's supposed to be one of those female power anthems, but is unusual in that it isn't actually slagging off blokes. Pink would never have had a career if such a thing didn't exist.

We have our work cut out to claw back the first leg deficit. We need a lot of things to come together. Intensity of performance. Creativity to open them up. Ruthlessness to finish off chances we do create. Defensive organisation and solidity. Luck that has been noticeably absent this season. And last but by no means least, officials who don't assist Real Madrid in their attempts to shithouse their way through this game, because I've no doubt they'll try it on. We CAN do it. We NEED to do it. Shit or get off the pot. Get the job done. The Champions League sucks without us, and we suck without the Champions League.

I’m still having night terrors after watching the first minute of that Lilly Allen video you posted. *shivers*

1 hour ago, INTORRESTING said:

They are shite, are we shiter? The route to the finals is decent, maybe we woke up today - bring it on.

We go through. 

Exactly right. We dominated Luiz, Mcginn & Nakamba today. Modric, Casemiro & Kroos will be a piece of piss. Just like Tuesday

10 hours ago, Trumo said:

A rallying call if ever I read one.

Enough to give me hope.

Appreciate the effort fella, always well put together.

12 hours ago, Iceman said:

Fuck Real.

The way that Villa header hit the inside of our post and bounced out means our luck has changed. We do them 2-0, Mane goal in the 88th minute seals it. 

I’ll be very, very surprised if we keep a clean sheet in this one.

I’m not sure how I’d line up on Wednesday.

Obviously Zidane did a number on us last week (rotating pivots, sitting deep, long balls, wingers not tracking to take advantage of the space our full backs) and it worked perfectly for them.

When we did press, they were happy to lump it long in the hope they have the pace to get into it or were happy conceding possession, sitting deep and were confident we wouldn’t play through them.

And let’s face it, as much as their plan worked, we still massively contributed to our own down fall and they didn’t create much else. 

I don’t see them doing anything different on Wednesday.

So what do we do? 

Thinking back, the idea of playing Keita to break the lines was probably sound, just woefully executed.

If we could get the 2018 Ox back, he’d be perfect but he’s as far away from that form as he could get.

I’m not convinced playing all 4 strikers is the answer either, but it’s what I’m leaning to. Firmino at 9 & Jota as a 10. Have a double press on their centre backs and midfielders and disrupt the long balls & give us extra creativity up front. Hopefully.

I also wouldn’t be against ensuring it’s 0-0 until the hour and then throwing the kitchen sink at them.

I know this will be unpopular, but I’m leaning towards Fabinho back at centre half for this as well. I think Gini & Thiago should be able to measure up to their midfield, but I acknowledge it’d take a super charged performance from both of them.

I’m not saying we will do it, but I certainly think we can. Scoring early would be preferable but not essential. Even if we go 1-0 up in the 85th minute, it’ll be frenetic finish. 

There is no point to mentioning the crowd, it is what it is. If the players can generate the power needed to overhaul these, it’s up there with the mentality monsters greatest achievement. 

18 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’m not sure how I’d line up on Wednesday.

Obviously Zidane did a number on us last week (rotating pivots, sitting deep, long balls, wingers not tracking to take advantage of the space our full backs) and it worked perfectly for them.

When we did press, they were happy to lump it long in the hope they have the pace to get into it or were happy conceding possession, sitting deep and were confident we wouldn’t play through them.

And let’s face it, as much as their plan worked, we still massively contributed to our own down fall and they didn’t create much else. 

I don’t see them doing anything different on Wednesday.

So what do we do? 

Thinking back, the idea of playing Keita to break the lines was probably sound, just woefully executed.

If we could get the 2018 Ox back, he’d be perfect but he’s as far away from that form as he could get.

I’m not convinced playing all 4 strikers is the answer either, but it’s what I’m leaning to. Firmino at 9 & Jota as a 10. Have a double press on their centre backs and midfielders and disrupt the long balls & give us extra creativity up front. Hopefully.

I also wouldn’t be against ensuring it’s 0-0 until the hour and then throwing the kitchen sink at them.

I know this will be unpopular, but I’m leaning towards Fabinho back at centre half for this as well. I think Gini & Thiago should be able to measure up to their midfield, but I acknowledge it’d take a super charged performance from both of them.

I’m not saying we will do it, but I certainly think we can. Scoring early would be preferable but not essential. Even if we go 1-0 up in the 85th minute, it’ll be frenetic finish. 

There is no point to mentioning the crowd, it is what it is. If the players can generate the power needed to overhaul these, it’s up there with the mentality monsters greatest achievement. 

Jota in the 9 and Bobby in the 10 you mean surely?

Bobby can put pressure on Kroos and Modric all day.

As for Fabinho back in defence, it's a shout because we're less likely to get caught out the way we did first time round.

I kinda like it.

4 minutes ago, m0e said:

Jota in the 9 and Bobby in the 10 you mean surely?

Bobby can put pressure on Kroos and Modric all day.

As for Fabinho back in defence, it's a shout because we're less likely to get caught out the way we did first time round.

I kinda like it.

No, Bobby 9 and Jota 10.

Just feel Jota has more energy about him to press all day. We also have Jota’s ability to beat a man at pace, which I assume was the point of Keita last week. 

Whatever happens and whoever plays, it requires a super charged performance from everyone. 

Guest Alex_K

I don't care -- Thiago, Fabinho, Wijnaldum should be a midfield that at least on paper can get on top of Modric, Kroos, Casemiro. Our midfield 3 for the past few years have played at a higher level individually, all starting European Cup winners .. and Modric is 35, with 3 games in a week! I really think starting those 3 and ditching the tactically clueless Keita will make an enormous difference here from the off. We could easily have gone to 2-2 after half-time. We just gave ourselves a mountain to climb with the initial bad selection decisions.

Up front is tough. By rights Mane should be out of the team, but can you really drop Sadio for a game like this? At the back Phillips leads us badly exposed, but wouldn't really want to see us move Fabinho out of that midfield. So perhaps we just need to sit a little deeper than usual and try to break with pace on the ball. We dont really need to rush this game. Would definitely take 1-0 at the half; even 0-0 isn't end of the world. Just dont concede first.

I'd start Milner for this. Need his leadership, energy, and tenacity. Give him the first 45 minutes to get himself about the pitch and get in the face of Kroos. We've got 5 subs available, so high tempo and intensity from the off, with a view to closing up shop as the game goes on if we can turn around the deficit.

My starting XI would be:

Alisson, Trent, Phillips, Kabak, Robbo; Fabinho, Thiago, Milner; Jota, Firmino, Salah.

Gini and Sadio are the obvious choices to come off the bench, with Oxlade-Chamberlain/Jones and Shaqiri to follow depending on the situation. 

Guest Alex_K

If Milner starts (& not wholly opposed to that), then I think Phillips is the one who drops out and Fabinho goes back. To see that however I think he'd have tested it against Villa .. so probably doesn't happen. Will be very surprised if Gini doesn't start.