You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: There is no physical problem with Sadio

TLW

Jurgen Klopp says that Sadio Mane is going through a phase that all top forwards go through in their career and there is no physical hinderance affecting his game.

While Mo Salah has often taken the headlines due to his goalscoring exploits throughout his Reds career, the all-round game of Mane has been greatly underrated.

Those who see the Senegalese star play on a regular basis will say that he is the individual that gels the front three together.

But just like many of his teammates, this campaign has been a significant struggle for the 29 year-old.

After starting the season in his customary style scoring three goals in as many league games, Mane tested positive for COVID-19 after the Arsenal game which saw him have to serve the customary two weeks of self-isolation and saw him miss the 7-2 humbling at Villa Park, his next game for the Reds against Everton saw a return to the scoresheet.

Since that fixture in the middle of October, Mane has scored just three league goals with his last coming against Tottenham at the end of January.

While it is worth noting that he did score in both fixtures against RB Leipzig, Mane is well below near his usual strike rate (12 goals in 39 games) and faces a significant challenge to reach the 20 goal mark (in all competitions) for the fourth consecutive season.

As research steadily increases into the lasting impacts of COVID-19, more and more individuals who have had the illness say that they continue to have lingering symptoms many months down the track.

We may never know how much  this has been a major factor for Sadio, or if it is a matter of wear and tear beginning to show after a extremely heavy workload over the last couple of seasons and a compressed schedule during this season.

According to his manager, it is nothing different to what most elite players in his position have had  to deal with  and he is not duly concerned as the Official site reported:

“We all know how good Sadio Mane is, what a player he is. 

“And what he did for us. Obviously the numbers, scoring-wise now, are obviously not great at the moment – he knows that. It’s always for a player and for a player with the mindset of Sadio, he wants to do extremely well then in these moments and that’s the situation he is in. 

“Each striker in the world knows these kinds of situations. But I’m not concerned, but I see it as well. That’s clear. We work on it – that’s the only answer I can give. 

Klopp conceded that the schedule may well have played a role, but the more likely reason would be a lack of confidence in front of goal which is something that is only natural.

mane2_600.jpg

“The schedule of the last three years was for a lot of players in world football a tough one – for him as well, that’s true. But I don’t think that’s the reason, there’s no physical problem for Sadio, not a real one. 

“We all need breaks from time to time, that’s clear, but it’s not a general problem or whatever. It’s just a situation.

“If you don’t score for a while then strikers start thinking and there is a moment when you start thinking exactly the right things again and then it will be fine again. We have to make sure this time is not too far away.”

View full article

I've looked into this and he's running just as much as in previous seasons. The main difference is his decision making has been poor and you can see how indecisive he is on the ball. He seems to hold onto the ball too long and doesn't look up as often. It's like he has no plan and ends up cheaply giving the ball away but he's pressing just as much as in previous seasons.

• Upvote 1

I'm not condoning his poor play, but he must be more than a bit frustrated with the referees letting every defender in the world hack him to pieces without repercussion. If he watches other PL games and sees how he's treated contrasted by what other forwards get  awarded I'd be pretty angry  (just as I am). It doesn't take away the fact that he struggles mightily with his touch and finishing, but it has to impact him, and not positively.

Atkinson clearly just hates him, and looked in midweek like we can add Brych to the list with a dislike of him as well. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Butch said:

His dip in form coincides with the confirmation of contracting Covid-19, he's probably one of the unlucky people who have been effected long term by the illness. 

Jesus Christ.

Klopp is saying there is nothing wrong with him physically, we do all kind of test on the players to monitor these things.

If there were anything covid related, the club would know.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TheSire said:

I've looked into this and he's running just as much as in previous seasons. The main difference is his decision making has been poor and you can see how indecisive he is on the ball. He seems to hold onto the ball too long and doesn't look up as often. It's like he has no plan and ends up cheaply giving the ball away but he's pressing just as much as in previous seasons.

Is he running as fast?

To the naked eye he doesn't appear as explosive off the mark.

Maybe covid hasn't had any effect, although that seems a touch unlikely considering the margins at this level. But maybe he is just fucking knackered, having had about four days off in the last three years.

I think he needs a break whatever the fault for his poor form.

27 minutes ago, lebron said:

I'm not condoning his poor play, but he must be more than a bit frustrated with the referees letting every defender in the world hack him to pieces without repercussion. If he watches other PL games and sees how he's treated contrasted by what other forwards get  awarded I'd be pretty angry  (just as I am). It doesn't take away the fact that he struggles mightily with his touch and finishing, but it has to impact him, and not positively.

Atkinson clearly just hates him, and looked in midweek like we can add Brych to the list with a dislike of him as well. 

The challenges he takes that just get brushed away. It's not small time to notice the huge contrast between how he's officiated compared to united players its night and day.

• Upvote 1

He’s probably the poster boy for Klopp’s irritation at the global football calendar being so fragmented and the lack of concern for and protection towards players due to that. Been run into the ground in recent years and in need of a proper summer break.

8 hours ago, TLW said:

After starting the season in his customary style scoring three goals in as many league games, Mane tested positive for COVID-19 after the Arsenal game which saw him have to serve the customary two weeks of self-isolation and saw him miss the 7-2 humbling at Villa Park, his next game for the Reds against Everton saw a return to the scoresheet.

View full article

Customary twice in the same sentence?

Sickening.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Code said:

Jesus Christ.

Klopp is saying there is nothing wrong with him physically, we do all kind of test on the players to monitor these things.

Its not a Mane v Salah popularity contest FFS,and Klopp is way too diplomatic to say anything out of turn.

8 hours ago, Code said:

Jesus Christ.

It's unbelievable how people have gotten it into their heads that it must be covid related. Klopp literally said the opposite.

The stats are showing that he runs nearly as much as he did previously and other stats show there isn't a significant drop off in most of his metrics. (An article on the Athletic covered it in-depth). Mane is just experiencing a dip which is natural and happens to many forwards at some stage in their careers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You think that its always Salah v Mane and seem to get upset if Mane gets publicity instead of Salah. Its very strange.

Again, what on earth are you talking about?

Klopp is on record saying there are nothing wrong physically with Mane, basically saying those who talk about «long covid» are talking utter nonsense.

In the first post after the article the same nonsense about «long covid» gets posted.

I make a comment about that, nothing else. 

Then you wade in, with God knows what.

Are you insane? Do you have reading difficulties? How on earth did you find a way to bring Salah into this? Are you obesessed?

Whatever it is, it makes no sense whatsoever.

On 10/04/2021 at 12:56, Bobby Hundreds said:

The challenges he takes that just get brushed away. It's not small time to notice the huge contrast between how he's officiated compared to united players its night and day.

It's not just Manchester United players. It's the whole league. Look at that goal VAR ruled out yesterday for the arm at Son from McTominey. Do you think that goal would have been disallowed had it been sadio going down? Not a fucking chance. He was thrown to the ground against Leicester in one of the clearest fouls you will ever see, nothing. Twice. So he's not just getting fucked by the onfield refs, it's VAR too. It's fucking disgraceful and clearly an agenda. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Code said:

Again, what on earth are you talking about?

Klopp is on record saying there are nothing wrong physically with Mane, basically saying those who talk about «long covid» are talking utter nonsense.

In the first post after the article the same nonsense about «long covid» gets posted.

I make a comment about that, nothing else. 

Then you wade in, with God knows what.

Are you insane? Do you have reading difficulties? How on earth did you find a way to bring Salah into this? Are you obesessed?

Whatever it is, it makes no sense whatsoever.

And as I said,even if there was something wrong with Sadio,physically or mentally,Klopp would not reveal it anyway. You just seem to want to put Mane down because you believe he is some kind of rival to Salah and yet they are both in the same team. I want a fully flying Mane and Salah because it benefits the team and not the individual. I still think there is a problem with Mane,maybe mental and think Klopp is simply dealing with it by brushing it off. Klopp tends to underplay these things,much like injuries.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

And as I said,even if there was something wrong with Sadio,physically or mentally,Klopp would not reveal it anyway. You just seem to want to put Mane down because you believe he is some kind of rival to Salah and yet they are both in the same team. I want a fully flying Mane and Salah because it benefits the team and not the individual. I still think there is a problem with Mane,maybe mental and think Klopp is simply dealing with it by brushing it off. Klopp tends to underplay these things,much like injuries.

Do you believe in ghosts?