You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

HFSG Out!

Trumo

Margaret Aspinall has been talking to LFCtv about how the 32nd anniversary of Hillsborough will be marked privately by the families, and of the decision to end the Hillsborough Families Support Group.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/announcements/430756-margaret-aspinall-on-hillsborough-anniversary-and-hfsg

Margaret Aspinall recently spoke to LFCTV to explain plans for the forthcoming 32nd anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

Private remembrances will be observed next Thursday to honour the 96 children, women and men who lost their lives as a result of the tragedy that occurred at Liverpool’s FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest on April 15, 1989.

Aspinall, former chair of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, discussed how the families intend to mark the anniversary and detailed why the decision has been taken to now fold the HFSG.

The families have been put through hell over the last 32 years, and perhaps now is the right time to find some closure. Too many have since lost their lives shouldering the blame and stigma unfairly placed upon them and their loved ones. Never again should the government, the police, the authorities and the media be able to and be allowed to cover up disgraceful decisions and actions that lead to the deaths of so many innocent people. In simple football terms, that thought far outweighs any club tribalism as nobody should wish to see it happen anywhere else.

2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Seen a lot of people calling her a sell out on Twitter and Facebook a few years ago for accepting an award off Theresa May. Completely forgetting everything shes done since her son died.

It's quite incredible isn't it. 

As for the HFSG - it's interesting they've called it a day. What started out as a group to help the grieving process obviously had its challenges when some of the group wanted to use the platform for justice and even though many went to the HJC, HFSG still remained more than just a group for people to grieve. I think it must be a genuine weight off them to feel like they can leave this behind and is a sign many have now found closure. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's quite incredible isn't it. 

As for the HFSG - it's interesting they've called it a day. What started out as a group to help the grieving process obviously had its challenges when some of the group wanted to use the platform for justice and even though many went to the HJC, HFSG still remained more than just a group for people to grieve. I think it must be a genuine weight off them to feel like they can leave this behind and is a sign many have now found closure. 

Some people are really fucking weird over Hillsborough. A lot of people who were never there or even old enough to experience it think they have the right to tell families of people who died what to think and how to act.

Can remember when that George Sephton tweeted about Terry Wogan dying and paid tribute to him. Loads of people bombarded him telling him to resign saying he was a disgrace. This all had to do with the fact that Wogan said that the fans caused the crush in the early nineties. Loads if it was complete hysteria and bandwagon jumping. 

A couple of lads I know were around 14 at the time, barely ever went the game and knew no one that died. Yet they police the internet to find anyone saying the slightest thing about Hillsborough. Some seem to think it's a measure of how boss a red you are. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Some people are really fucking weird over Hillsborough. A lot of people who were never there or even old enough to experience it think they have the right to tell families of people who died what to think and how to act.

Can remember when that George Sephton tweeted about Terry Wogan dying and paid tribute to him. Loads of people bombarded him telling him to resign saying he was a disgrace. This all had to do with the fact that Wogan said that the fans caused the crush in the early nineties. Loads if it was complete hysteria and bandwagon jumping. 

A couple of lads I know were around 14 at the time, barely ever went the game and knew no one that died. Yet they police the internet to find anyone saying the slightest thing about Hillsborough. Some seem to think it's a measure of how boss a red you are. 

Yeah, there's been a lot of the idea it makes you some sort of super red by how well you police people's behaviour. One of the things I've always found incredible is how many think that the whole world has an understanding of what happened that day. The whole aim of the smear and the cover up was to seep into the consciousness of the nation it was all our fault. It's not the fault of people who formed that opinion, it's the fault of the people who pushed the false accusations out there in the 1st place. There are obviously some exceptions to that, like twisted, bitter fans who just use it because they hate scousers, they know better but that's no fun to them. But a fella like wogan, he's exactly the type of person the SYP & government wanted to believe that original cover up. 

Without going in to my experiences that day, all I know is the massive admiration I have for all of the families who were able to fight for 30 years the way they did. I had years where I just wanted it all to go away because I knew I needed closure on it and for me it was just open wounds. I genuinely don't know where they found the strength. 

The city itself irrespective of football owes them a massive massive debt...Without their strength to never give up which is what the establishment thought would happen then Liverpool the club it's fans but mainly the people of Liverpool would have been smeared forever. 

• Upvote 1