You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aston Villa (H) Premier League - 10/4/21 - 15:00

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

They shown a stat at some point during the game showing Liverpool have had 113 shots at anfield and scored just 1, that is nowhere near good enough. Our conversion rate is appaling. In my opinion the front 3 needs a shake up that doesn't automatically mean replacing them but the front 3 as a unit feels predictable struggles to create often and it's definitely wasteful. It could be a tactical issue but Salah aside it's diminishing returns. We need a more creative threat. Id bite your hand off for a Grealish and the havoc he can cause leading to the final third and to be honest outside Halaand and Mbappe I've not watched enough football to have a clue about striker options there's got to be clinical players out there. Klopp seems the type of guy to cling on to players for too long because they are not commodities too him, theyre his boys and we are definitely the type of fans to do the same. We need to evolve our forward options. 

I do worry that Sarr is still their moneyball solution. 

If we get Grealish in to we’d need a proper number 9 IMO.

56 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Do you not think Jota could be a capable 9. He is quick with his feet and direct infront of goal.

Maybe. He’s quite capable in the air for his size too. I envisaged someone with a bit more of a physical presence though. Someone who would be a target for our full backs. If we had Harry Kane or Lewandowski leading the line for example, teams would think twice about sitting deep against us, as chances are we’d punish them.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

They shown a stat at some point during the game showing Liverpool have had 113 shots at anfield and scored just 1, that is nowhere near good enough. Our conversion rate is appaling. In my opinion the front 3 needs a shake up that doesn't automatically mean replacing them but the front 3 as a unit feels predictable struggles to create often and it's definitely wasteful. It could be a tactical issue but Salah aside it's diminishing returns. We need a more creative threat. Id bite your hand off for a Grealish and the havoc he can cause leading to the final third and to be honest outside Halaand and Mbappe I've not watched enough football to have a clue about striker options there's got to be clinical players out there. Klopp seems the type of guy to cling on to players for too long because they are not commodities too him, theyre his boys and we are definitely the type of fans to do the same. We need to evolve our forward options. 

I do worry that Sarr is still their moneyball solution. 

I am not really a stats person re football , but that 0.9% figure for goal conversion was truly shocking.

By the way , on the subject of us being too nice , I couldn't believe my eyes when Robbo slapped Watkins on the arse in a strange sort of well done gesture as he picked the ball out of the net after his goal. He will hope Caramac hasn't got his new computer yet.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sir roger said:

By the way , on the subject of us being too nice , I couldn't believe my eyes when Robbo slapped Watkins on the arse in a strange sort of well done gesture as he picked the ball out of the net after his goal.

Ha, noticed that alright. Bizarre that it was Robbo too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

By the way , on the subject of us being too nice , I couldn't believe my eyes when Robbo slapped Watkins on the arse in a strange sort of well done gesture as he picked the ball out of the net after his goal. He will hope Caramac hasn't got his new computer yet.

that was weird. I think he must have known his partner is pregnant, and knew what he was going to do....?

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Do you not think Jota could be a capable 9. He is quick with his feet and direct infront of goal.

Klopp clearly doesn't. He puts Mane in the middle 90% of the time when Jota and Salah are on the pitch.

Even when we played all 4 against City, Jota was on the right.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Yeah noticed that too couldn’t believe Robbo of all players doing that which then led to that prick doing that stupid dance with the ball down his shirt. Just goes to show the lads are struggling to approach games with anything near the same level of controlled anger as in the past 3 years. Even Klopp’s glasses look too nice now like a Grandad who wants to give you a Werthers original.

4 hours ago, m0e said:

Klopp clearly doesn't. He puts Mane in the middle 90% of the time when Jota and Salah are on the pitch.

Even when we played all 4 against City, Jota was on the right.

Salah played upfront that game I think. Most of the time it is Mo who moves central out of the two of them.

Jota has done his best work playing through the middle - don't really remember Mane playing centrally for any long stretches even within individual games.

Remember when we had a "proper number nine" here when Klopp arrived and he binned him after one season where he barely got a look in and then he never bought another one?

I don't think we'll buy one this summer either, because Klopp doesn't want to play with a big target man these days.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Salah played upfront that game I think. Most of the time it is Mo who moves central out of the two of them.

Jota has done his best work playing through the middle - don't really remember Mane playing centrally for any long stretches even within individual games.

I'm not sure Jota has done his best work through the middle. What's that based on?

Mo moves central when it's a formation switch, rarely in a 433. At least not from my recollection.

1 minute ago, m0e said:

I'm not sure Jota has done his best work through the middle. What's that based on?

Mo moves central when it's a formation switch, rarely in a 433. At least not from my recollection.

Based on his goal return. It is double through the middle in about half the games.

Yea, we played a 4231 in the game you mentioned I think. 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Based on his goal return. It is double through the middle in about half the games.

Yea, we played a 4231 in the game you mentioned I think. 

I'll take your word for it.

I know he played in the middle v Atalanta. But in a couple of other games, he was awful there.

Most of his goals have come as sub, haven't they?

22 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Remember when we had a "proper number nine" here when Klopp arrived and he binned him after one season where he barely got a look in and then he never bought another one?

I don't think we'll buy one this summer either, because Klopp doesn't want to play with a big target man these days.

I don't think there are many "proper number nine's" available that fit our style in the 20-25 age range and there haven't been for years. I think it's as simple as that. 

On 11/04/2021 at 01:22, m0e said:

Haha. Him being in the side seems to allow our fullbacks a lot more freedom.

He was also decent on the ball, and joined in the attack a fair few times.

I thought the entire performance was a throwback to last season.

Didn't panic after their goal, dominated the ball, created decent chances and found a way to win.

Milner played his part.

Milner brings more intensity, some nastyness as well. And definitely some leadership on the pitch. He has to start against Real.

• Upvote 2